Dog Facing Death After Defending His Owner

j

I would put my own dog down if it viciously attacked someone that hadn't laid a violent hand on me.

People should be able to have heated conversations and be angry without a dog jumping through a car window to attack them.

This dog should have been under way more control and is paying for its owner's foolishness.

PTS is a last resort, whatever the circumstances.

I've made that mistake once and I won't be doing it again.

Best you don't raise your voice in anger to someonme with a Maremma in tow.

I have seen it often enough, heard similar stories from others, and appraise all potential puppy owners of the fact.

As I said, its best to have a witness

If my maremma was already on paper as a dangerous dog and then he jumped through the window and viciously attacked someone because they were annoyed with me, he'd be pts. He's protected me on a number of occasions but not once has he gotten physical. Also I did say viciously attack which is what the dog did, I don't consider a bite or two a vicious attack but the dog mauled this person by the sound of it. Its overreaction is scary and the dog should be put down.

Not talking about this particular incident. But if a dog jumps out of a car and attacks someone, whose fault is that? Why is killing the dog the first reaction? Why isn't anyone saying "if my dog jumps out of the car and attacks someone, I should go to prison"!!!

A dog is not responsible for managing itself. We are.

I will never ever automatically PTS my dogs unless they were in severe pain that could not be treated. I would go to any lengths to save my dogs. They are part of my family. But because I care for them so much, I would also go to extremes to ensure they are never put in a position where they could be harmed (including by harming others).

Even if the dog in this story is PTS, the owner should have to spend some time in prison as well. Too often dogs pay the price for their owners' stupidity.

Totally agree.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a difference between a dog defending its turf and its people on its territory to jumping out a car window and attacking people willy nilly when it decides it should.

Aren't dogs meant to be restrained when they are in cars anyway?

I don't believe it's law in every state, but it may be in some? Someone else will know I'm sure.

there is a difference between a dog defending its turf and its people on its territory to jumping out a car window and attacking people willy nilly when it decides it should.

I don't believe it's law in every state, but it may be in some? Someone else will know I'm sure.

A quick google told me that it's not the law, unfortunatly. Just can't have them on your lap or unrestrained in the back of a ute.

Yes I think they are and mine both wear seatbelt harnesses in the car

Yep on leash when not on their own property.

Yep on leash when not on their own property.

I live in QLD and it is my understanding that dogs have to be restrained in motor vehicles up here. We use seat belt clips - simple and effective.

And M-Sass - my dogs weren't stranger aggressive. They were mother and son rescues and the son had serious anxiety as a result of being epileptic and heavily medicated during his early years so was more likely to be hiding from strangers. The mother would lick most people to death. Yet both dogs rose to the occassion making noises and taking action I have never seen before to get the intrudurs from my house then return to my side without any instruction from me. I was too busy trembling and panicking to be in control of any part of the situation. I actually just grabbed my phone to call the police and ran into my backyard without a thought for them at all. They decided I was more important than chasing after running bad men.

And M-Sass - my dogs weren't stranger aggressive. They were mother and son rescues and the son had serious anxiety as a result of being epileptic and heavily medicated during his early years so was more likely to be hiding from strangers. The mother would lick most people to death. Yet both dogs rose to the occassion making noises and taking action I have never seen before to get the intrudurs from my house then return to my side without any instruction from me. I was too busy trembling and panicking to be in control of any part of the situation. I actually just grabbed my phone to call the police and ran into my backyard without a thought for them at all. They decided I was more important than chasing after running bad men.

Friends of mine have a young bull arab x pup - usually he is the most outgoing and friendly of dogs. At the dog park he is outgoing and friendly to people and dogs alike, nicest nature you'll ever see. Last week when he heard an attempted break in by the fence, he stood over his owner who was in bed, growling and guarding them. Behavior when defending the home tuft can be radically different to 'everyday' behavior.

Yeah - I'd have to say that the owner of the dog is definately at fault here and the dog will probably pay the ultimate price for it.

As an owner of dogs that many people are fearful of and have the potential to do significant damage if sufficiently driven to do so, there is no way that one of my dogs would be unrestrained in my car with the ability to get out of the car.

If one of my dogs attacked someone in this way, even if I was having an argument with them, they would be being put to sleep immediately. I can understand dogs being protective but in most cases I understand that the dog does "warn" before going on the attack.

This story doesn't provide all the relevant information and context to understand what really happened but it shouldn't have happened in the first place as the dog should have been under effective control - if it's unrestrained and able to get free from the car, it isn't under effective control.

And M-Sass - my dogs weren't stranger aggressive

Dogs are a good deterrent and many offenders will take notice and retreat, the point I am making is that "if" the offender comes back at the dog, kicks the dog in the head for example, untrained dogs or dogs that lack serious active aggression will generally run away. Dogs who will protect with their lives on the line untrained from what I have ever seen are generally highly aggressive by nature, often the types of dogs selected for property guarding and will bite anyone who doesn't belong in their territory passive or threat.

Thanks for clarifying M-sass. I'm sure my dogs would retreat if someone turned on them because they lack that basic 'mean-ness' (for want of a better word).

Another key reason why dogs should be restrained in a motor vehicle relates to accidents. If you were in a car accident your dog could become a very lethal projectile. I don't think anyone wants to imagine their dog going through the windscreen but they can also 'hit' other passengers in the car fatally injuring them too. Small dogs between the feet of front passengers in an accident are also at risk of being squashed depending on where the car is hit. And I think many of us have heard horror stories of dogs on the backs of utes falling off or being on leads that are too long and being trailled behind the moving vehicle.

The discussion has begun to digress towards 'trained attack and protection dogs.'

I saw the damage inflicted by a police dog on one of the Muslim protestors recently.

Quite frankly, I don't know why they aren't used more frequently.

But, in terms of a discussion on a purebred website, I don't want to have to visit the issue. :(

Maybe start a new thread in the training forum.

A few more news articles in the aftermath:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/10/31/369004_news.html

A DOG owner has had an emotional reunion with his pet after it was seized last week over an attack that left a man in hospital.

Michael O'Shea had his dog Max seized by the Townsville City Council on Thursday after the three-year-old bullmastiff cross bull terrier attacked a man reportedly involved in a verbal altercation with Mr O'Shea.

Max, who had previously been declared a dangerous dog after an alleged attack on a 14-year-old boy and his grandmother in April, reportedly jumped out of a car window and "launched" himself at the victim in his 40s, who has required multiple surgeries after suffering leg, torso and arm wounds.

The council is proceeding with charges stemming from the April attack and the matter will be taken to court next month.

Mr O'Shea said he remained shocked by the incident last Thursday, and while a decision has yet to be made on Max's fate, he was preparing himself for the worst.

"I wish there had been a second for me to (stop it)," he said.

He and friend Lee Wilmot had been able to take Mr Wilmot's two dogs, named Big and Little, to visit Max. "He was very happy to see these two little fellows."

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/10/30/368920_news.html

THE dog that attacked a man to allegedly defend its owner after a traffic dispute last week has a violent rap sheet that includes another alleged attack on a 14-year-old boy and his grandmother.

Max, a three-year-old bullmastiff cross bull terrier, was seized by the Townsville City Council last Thursday after he attacked a man reportedly involved in a dispute with his owner, Michael O'Shea.

Max had been inside a car when he jumped out of its partially opened window.

The victim, in his 40s, sustained wounds to his legs, torso and arm, and has undergone several surgeries since he was admitted to the Townsville Hospital following the attack.

While Max's fate is yet to be decided, Healthy and Safe City committee chairman Cr Gary Eddiehausen yesterday said the council had acted in the best interests of public safety by seizing the dog, who has been accused of two previous attacks.

However, Mr O'Shea defended his pet, saying he was provoked in both instances.

Max was declared dangerous after he reportedly attacked a 14-year-old boy and his grandmother in April.

The Townsville City Council is prosecuting Mr O'Shea over the incident and the matter will proceed in court next month.

The April attack followed an incident in March where a man claimed Max attacked his dog, however the complaint was subsequently withdrawn.

Cr Eddiehausen said a full investigation would be conducted before Max's fate was decided, including interviews with key witnesses.

"The council is ... waiting to speak to the person attacked last week, who is still receiving treatment for his injuries," he said.

"Conditions for keeping a declared dangerous dog are extremely strict.

"They require the dog to be muzzled and to be kept under proper restraint in public to prevent further attacks.

"The investigation will also look very closely at whether those conditions were being met."

Mr O'Shea said Max was only provoked by what he believed was threatening behaviour.

He said that in the April attack, the 14-year-old boy had approached his property's fence with Max behind it, and that the March incident had occurred after the other dog owner hit Max and then Mr O'Shea with a stick.

"If he had maimed a young child, I'd put him down myself," Mr O'Shea said.

"But he's a passive dog and (he only lashes out) when he senses there's aggression or intimidation.

"I'm hoping for a reprieve. He's all I've got."

Long rap sheet

March 2012: Allegedly attacked another dog in a park, but the complaint was subsequently withdrawn and no action was taken.

April 2012: Attacked a 14-year-old boy and his grandmother and as a result was declared a dangerous dog.

October 2012: Attacked a man, injuring his legs, torso and arm, after an altercation between the victim and his owner on McIntosh St, Hermit Park.

It does not look good for Max at all.:cry:
After two attacks on people, sorry but there won't be tears from me if the dog is put to sleep.
There will be tears from me, it's not Max's fault he had an irresponsible owner.:cry:

Well, reading the article, Max was provoked on both the primary and secondary occasions.

It happens, whether if was a 14yo and his granny is inconsequential.

The fact of the matter, and what makes it a tragedy since Mr O'Shea clearly loves his dog, is that Max was not restrained and contained as per the requirements of the law or the expectations of the community.

Now, unfortunately, it may be some time before Mr O'Shea can show to all those concerned that he understands his obligations and responsibilities in matters involving dogs.

Edited by Tralee