Opinions Please

Freshstart16

Hey guys, a while back I posted a while back about my chi X having a lypoma on his tail, glad to say all healed now, however he has a sore on his tail that he kept biting at and it wasn't getting any better so off to the vet with him, she shaved the area, had a look at it and said its "blister like" and put Tug on some antibiotics and gave some cream to apply to the area. And of course the dreaded collar goes back on. this was a few weeks ago now, she said he could have to wear the collar for up to a month.

Now he has developed something very similar on his nose. He will be going back to vet if this does not clear up, i could apply some of the cream to it, but he will just lick it off. I'm thinking the vet may need to give his a injection or something to help healing. Thats all well and good but what the hell is this?? Has anyone had a similar experience...allergy,infection,bite from something???

Any advice would be great... Will attach pictures to show the nose...

our Sami used to get blisters that looked similar to those in your photos, hers were a contact dermatitis. She was an allergists dream though as she was allergic to everything. Is your guy allergic to anything or had any booster shots lately?

Poor lil guy :(

our Sami used to get blisters that looked similar to those in your photos, hers were a contact dermatitis. She was an allergists dream though as she was allergic to everything. Is your guy allergic to anything or had any booster shots lately?

Poor lil guy :(

I had a kelpie allergic to eggs that would get blisters if he ate them, usually on his sides though and then his hair would fall off. Could be a similar thing.

In that closeup tail pic..is the red ..discharge from the 'blister' ?

It seems most odd to me that something as innocent as an allergy reaction 'blister' would take so long to heal ..and now a nose one, too :(

Did the vet do a biopsy?

HOW OLD IS YOUR LITTLE DOG? (EXCUSE 'SHOUTING', MY CAT HAS HIS NOSE ON CAPSLOCK :( )

Thanks for reminding me, the vets have diagnosed him with a flea allergy, every summer he gets very itchy around the base of his tail and backend, he has had a anti histamine injection a month or two ago for the itching (which he has every year) and have never had a problem. However we have been feeding them different food every now and then, which has egg in it...

hrmm you have me thinking now. I wonder if its the food. Could a food allergy cause blisters though. I just want him to be better crying.gif

Hes has the cone collar thingy on for 3 weeks now and he is miserable at times, he looks at me as if to say "muuuuuuuuummmmm take this bloody thing off" I'll be good i promise laugh.gif

He also has quite oily skin and he isnt allowed to have a bath (vets orders so the tail doesnt get wet) but the collar was irritating him and he was a bit on the nose so I gave him what a call a half bath and just washed his front half. He hates having a bath but they joy he must have felt as i massaged malaseb into his neck...rofl1.gif

If it doesnt clear up he will be going back to the vet. argggh its one thing after another with him at the moment and I just want my baby back to normal crying.gif

It seems most odd to me that something as innocent as an allergy reaction 'blister' would take so long to heal ..and now a nose one, too :(

Did the vet do a biopsy?

HOW OLD IS YOUR LITTLE DOG? (EXCUSE 'SHOUTING', MY CAT HAS HIS NOSE ON CAPSLOCK :( )

:rofl:

Just looking at the pics again and they could be Histiocytomas but I would recommend that your vet does a biopsy to rule out cancer or the other the baddies.

Did the vet do a biopsy?

there is no discharge and the blister is semi healed, it seemed to blister,scab and then flake and the reveal healed skin..i think thats the best way to describe it.

No biopsy, just looked at it, felt it and gave anti biotics and cream. then we had a follow up visit a week later, 2 weeks ago it was swollen and very sore to touch, he had a go at me and we had to muzzle him at the vet in the beginning and now hes not really fussed when i touch it now. the tail actually looks the best it has in weeks, but now the nose...im so confused. Oh and btw he is 11 in this coming march.

Did the vet do a biopsy?

:rofl:

Just looking at the pics again and they could be Histiocytomas but I would recommend that your vet does a biopsy to rule out cancer or the other the baddies.

He recently had a lump removed which was tested and also had chest xrays for possible cancer but all negative. Wouldnt hurt though, i dont know if they did bloods. I dont think so. thanks pers.. oh thats cute about the cat smile.gif

I don't know if its the same thing, but Renae has always had a lump on her tail bone. Its just a fatty tissue lump, that has gotten slightly larger over the years. (Its never leaked tho)

I have been told she can have it removed if it gets uncomfortable for her. She used to bite at it, but hasn't for a long time now.

She's 10 now, so unless it does get worse at any stage, Im not bothered about having it removed.

Anyway lumps should be checked out regardless. (ok just re read that you have had it checked out)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

pustule.jpg

Pustule: this is a small inflamed are that is filled with puss such as a pimple. This type of dog skin disorder could indicate an infection (bacterial or fungal) or auto-immune problem (when the body responds to a substance that it shouldn't respond to).

Does this look like it.

the vet was a little clueless as to what it was.

Perhaps then, a dermatologist would be a sensible step?

Yeah we have been considering this.

Did the vet take a skin scraping?

No skin scraping, im going to ask for on when we head back.

pustule.jpg

Pustule: this is a small inflamed are that is filled with puss such as a pimple. This type of dog skin disorder could indicate an infection (bacterial or fungal) or auto-immune problem (when the body responds to a substance that it shouldn't respond to).

Does this look like it.

Not really, the yucky pus looking stuff on his nose is actually a scab, its dry and crusty, no discharge.

I was just going to suggest fungal.... haven't seen anything like it before though...

Is he on any other medications eg prednisolone?

I'm thinking fungal too, but hey im not animal expert. no hes not on any meds.

I guess we will wait and see what the vet says.

Couple of things - when ever you see anything with the skin its about the immune system but you need a diagnosis a sound diagnosis .That area around the tail is notorious as one of the first places anything shows as its warm but not necessarily moist. You expect to see fungal in other areas first .Fleas love this spot but now you have it from the tail to the nose you need skin scrapings to look for parasites - fleas , or mites and you need to address the secondary thing thats going on. When the vet is able to tell what it is then we can help you to treat it from the outside as well as the inside but handle with care until you can put a name to it as moving from tail to nose implies it can spread and it can also spread to the environment and maybe you.

Guest RosieFT

Hello

sorry I cannot help you with your dogs blisters, but I did think of this for your dog! Clean run has free shipping on them at the moment. I know it won't help for this time, but if it is a recurring problem...

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2682&ParentCat=449

Cloud Collars

Kong Company Ltd.

The Cloud Collar is an inflatable protective collar that is a major improvement over traditional Elizabethan collars or cones. It is soft, comfortable, and doesn't interfere with a dog's peripheral vision or his ability to eat and drink. It is great for dogs recovering from surgery or dogs with wounds or rashes that need to heal.

Cloud Collars are washable, scratch- and bite-resistant, and will not mark up floors or furniture. We used a Cloud Collar on one of the office dogs after she had stitches put in, and she was quite comfortable in it—no problems with going in and out of her crate, she was comfortable curling up in her dog bed, and she could even play while wearing it. Designed for pet use only. Not intended to be used as a flotation device.

Available in five sizes; select the Sizing tab on the left for help.

Hey all just a quick update, We took tug's collar off last night as his tail has healed well, whatever was on his nose is looking much better, almost like it was never there!! We will be keeping a very close eye on it though as if it shows up again he will be straight off to the vet, but for now things are looking up.

I'm holding him right and now and he tells me he's very happy he gets to avoid the vet for now laugh.gif

heres a better picture of his nose now.