Newbie Wanting To Foster In Eastern Melb

Hi guys :)

I've decided it's time to take advantage of my circumstances and take on a needy foster dog.

I live half alone and half with the gf in Mt Waverley with Barkly (4 years desexed male Cocker). Scooter is here sometimes but he's on strict crate rest for the next couple of months so will not be interacting with the dog at all.

I work from home, gf is a vet nurse and groomer. Our yard is huge and securely fenced, we are obviously both quite dog savvy.

I'm looking for a dog that preferably is small - medium, pref not a bull breed as gf only weighs 50kg and will be doing a lot of the exercising.

House-checks are fine, and landlord is ok with dogs.

Anyway, if there's anything I can help with, drop me a PM.

Cheers!!

Maybe Animal Aid or Save A Dog? Save a Dog is in Glen Iris and Animal Aid is in Coldstream, neither are right next to Mt Waverley door but still. Once you actually get the dog, the location of the shelter/base isn't really important.

I'm sure if you contacted them and gave them info about your circumstances and the kind of dog you would be willing to take on, they'd match you up. I'm now a to-be foster carer for RWL (as in, I haven't yet got a foster dog) and they have particular policies around which dogs go to which carers, depending on their resident dogs etc. I assume SAD and Vic DRG are similar, being that they are both (as far as I know) well regarded organisations. :)

Luke it is important that you choose a foster group that is right for you - one that you share the same vision with regarding rescue dogs and one that will give you the support you feel you might need as a new carer. I think where they are based is less relevant to how they operate as you wont be spending much time at their HQ.

I only started fostering again this year after a long break and am now doing breed specific fostering and really enjoying it (and constantly learning new things). For me it is really important I can ask advice (I'm new to the breed) and have an honest dialogue with the person who runs the rescue about my needs, the needs of my own dogs and the needs of the foster dog that might be placed with me. I also agree 100% with the philosophy of the person who runs the rescue group. These are things that are very important to me and it has helped me get a lot out of the experience and hopefully give the best of myself to the foster dogs I've had in my care so far.

I could've fostered for another group but they were basically saying take your pick of the dogs coming straight from the pound - no quarantining and no temp testing to ensure they would fit in with my dogs here. I really rely on their being a good match because a bad experience for my dogs may mean an end to fostering altogether as my dogs provide as much to the fosters as I do in preparing them for a forever home.

So call a few rescue groups and ask some questions until you find the right one for you.

Homeless Hounds Animal Rescue is having an information night at Blackburn Animal Hospital this Thursday night at 7:15pm (1st Nov) if that's not too far for you?

You could talk to some of the HH team and see if they feel right for you - pm me if you'd like any more information :)

We, the Greyhound Safety Net, are always looking for foster carers. Yes, greyhounds are large dogs but most can be easily walked by a small female as they don't tend to pull on the lead. Our dogs are tested with a small dog before placing into foster homes.

If you are interested please give me a call on 0431 747 130 to discuss further.

• 2 weeks later...