Need A Little Help/advice! -bought The Lens!

Beth.

Hi everyone!! Long time no post for me, but I always keep up to date with everyone's gorgeous photos!!

I thought I would ask for people's opinions.... I've been offered a very good quality 70-200mm f4 L no IS lens for $500.... With good, filters, bag etc. I just want people's opinions on the lens and that deal etc!! The main photos I take are just of Lottie/dogs :) what do people think of the non IS version??

Thanks everyone!!! :D

Edited by Beth.

Sounds like a good deal, you can get this lens (on its own no extras) for just over $600 from DWI.

Non IS will be ok on a tripod or if you have a steady hand and also for action shots say of Lottie running etc.

Monet and Divas mum has this lens and her pics are excellent, hopefully she will pop in and add her 5c worth.

I want to get this lens and have been tossing up between the f4 and f 2.8 and after shooting most things wide open with 2.8 on my 100mm I will definatley get the 2.8 but might have to compromise and get a sigma as they are so dam expensive!

Will you be mostly using it outdoors in good light, if so I say go for it!!

It comes with a bag anyway I think, so probably just the filters are the extra. Do you know what kind of filters and what their retail value is? As long as it's in excellent condition it's still probably worth considering. I have the 2.8 IS version and honestly, for action shots I could've done without the IS. And I've just realised, when I do need it, I forget to turn it on. I should've used it last night. :doh:

Thank you everyone!! Looks like i'm the proud new owner of it - it was a gift in March to the seller (comes with all paperwork etc), and is practically brand new, so I think it's a nice step up from my broken nifty fifty - can't wait to be back out there taking photos, i'm so very very excited :D

Thank you everyone!! Looks like i'm the proud new owner of it - it was a gift in March to the seller (comes with all paperwork etc), and is practically brand new, so I think it's a nice step up from my broken nifty fifty - can't wait to be back out there taking photos, i'm so very very excited :D

Oh WOW! You will be floored by the difference, well bought, have fun with it.

Yep - I'm very excited, that's for sure!! And yep Kirislin - it'll be a massive step up, but I was looking at other lenses for around the $400 mark, then I thought, for a little extra i'd like to get an L lens, and then this one popped up and it sounded perfect - oh, and it's in the mail as we speak :D

And I will indeed - 3 weeks and i'm finished uni FOREVER and i'll be a vet :D wahooooo - so after 3 wks i'll be out there really getting back into it!!

Edited by Beth.

Thanks Snook - i'm soooo excited, and because my nifty fifty has been broken for quite some time (focusing issues - all my pics are blurry), I really haven't taken many photos at all lately!!

And I have to get through 6 exams first, so fingers crossed, haha!!

good luck with your exams, and then we can pester you with veterinary questions. :laugh:

Yep you can!! :laugh: Thank you, I need it - I think the buying of the lens was the best procrastination i've done in 6 years :p

Congrats Beth! The lens is fantastic! Brilliant for sports shots and portraits! I only find I need a tripod if shooting really slow shutter speed - even at 1/20 - 1/60 I do hand held with no blur. (to me that's slow as I'm usually shooing 1/1000 - 1/5000

Can't wait to see your photos and seeing more of the gorgeous Lottie!

MnDM

Edited by Monet n Diva's Mum

Thanks MnDM!!

I'm LOVING this lens, but because i'm in the middle of exams, i'm making myself not go out and take lots of photos, but I've taken a few (mainly of Lottie :p )

So - here are a few of my first pics with it - did I say I LOVE this lens :D

My gorgeous girl, Lottie...

8156486087_1c6ed36649_z.jpg

And again.....

8156514354_2f29ec32bd_z.jpg

And again :p (my little hippo...)

8156583150_3cd2b5bb9f_z.jpg

And just some bird ones (which are all cropped - just can't get over the quality of this lens!!)

8156510872_f29bb97917_z.jpg

8156511798_677b0efbaa.jpg

Edited by Beth.

Thank you everyone!! I can't wait to actually sit down and have a proper play with it - these were all just point and shoot and hope for the best!

And yep, it's nice to have such a good looking, willing model on hand :p

(And excuse poor Lotties long toenails, as was pointed out in another thread with nothing else said about the pics, I promise they were done only 2wks ago, but they've now been redone :laugh: )