How To Convince Some One Not To Become A Byb.

Blakbelgian

Background:

I am currently studying at TAFE; Animal companion Services/studies.

At the start of the year we all said what we want to do after the course, one female said "she wants to breed dogs" groan groan.

I have become friendly with her and she wants to breed TAMASKAN'S. (Google it they aint here.)

Half way through the year:

Another student has a litter of pups Poodle x Chi x malt, The young one buys one a female. Breeder says she will mate the mother again later most likely. She has a family & Grt Gr kids so the dogs are raised in a home environment.

Her background:

Lives in an apartment in melb Docklands, grew up on a farm with a G Dane and a Labradoodle. Lives with her boyfriend. She does not work.Boyfriend is at Uni.

She is frequently asking questions about dandruff, ear infections, her dog wont eat etc but doesn't take in any of the advise I give her. I don't claim to know everything about dogs, very far from it. She keeps telling us that some one on the street commented that her dog is nice and is she going to breed it? She says 50 poeple have asked her. Where will those 50 poeple be when she does have pups?

Now:

Her pup has just had her first season and the owner has asked me & her pups breeder all about seasons etc and still doesn't quite understand it.

She wants to breed her puppy soon, I have no idea to what breed she intends to use or how she will find it.

The other day she was talking to another student (who was doing a totally different subject) about how she wants to import a breeding pair of TAMASAKAN's, breed them & sell them. He asked about temperment and she said they are layed back and similiar to Siberians. (I have no idea about there temperment or anything about them) Basically she had no idea about it. He asked how much, she said with quarantine probably $8000.

I highly doubt she has met a Tamaskan, she just turned 21yrs old.

My question:

How/what facts can I present to her that she should not BYB.

That importing is far more expensive than she thinks.

What health tests should her dog or the stud dog then pups should have?

I doubt she has considered a C section may be required.

Anything else or particular web sites that I can give her?

Students there know I breed pure breds and I tell them only when we want one and we go 4 years some times without a litter.

Another student is now disliking her for wanting to BYB.Or in her case Apartment breed.

Thanks for your time.

BB

To be honest, based on what you have told us, I doubt much will make an impact. I wouldn't bother with info about importing as I am doubtful she will get that far. Perhaps the best way to make an impact will be to talk about the legal and regulatory side of breeding. For example tHe legal requirement in Vic to health test for instance and the implications if she doesn't. The fact that legally she can be held liable.

Apart from that I am not sure what will sink in given that nothing has sunk in so far.

from the UK breed club - Tamaskan dogs are highly intelligent and need constant mental stimulation, with the correct training they can excel in obediance, agility and even heelwork to music as well as their original function as a sled dog.

Sounds like she is living in a dream world and has done nothing to research the breed other then look at photos

http://www.tamaskan-dog.co.uk/

'the wolffog without the wolf' bet that is what attracted her - wolves are 'cool' and rather romantic and she perhaps had a naive 'teenage' fancy about the romance of it all? ;

One website that may help is www.learntobreed.com

Also perhaps get her to watch the shelter episode of the program on ABC titled don't blame the dog. It should still be available on Iview.

Edited by espinay2

Try to be patient. One needs exposure in order to learn. It can't be lectured.

When I was 21 I adopted a Maltese X entire bitch, I later purchased a Lhaso Apso X Maltese from a Sunday Market for a weeks wage. I had grand plans. I was going to breed some very cute lovely puppies, have fun doing it and make some money to boot.

All my friends wanted a pup and kept asking if anything was forthcoming.

I knew nothing about breeding dogs at 21.

Fortunately the "fates" took hold of the situation, and despite both dogs remaining entires they never mated.

I thought I was unlucky. I really can't believe how lucky I have been.

If your co-worker lives in an apartment in the Docklands it's unlikely she will be beyond the day dreaming stage. Maybe get her to come to a dog show and look at some breeds.

highly assumptive - But I am thinking the way to get through to her is money - Show her how much that emergency c-section on a saturday or sunday night will cost, shw her how much she is up for if the bitch develops eclampsia - is she going to be the one feeding newborns round the clock because their mother cant do it?

how much does she think she will actually be able to sell the puppies for? is that even halfway realistic?

What if one of her imports can't be bred? is she willing to swallow that loss of money?

Does she comprehend how much food an expecting bitch is going to want? it adds up fast!

We have had two litters as such - Our first litter was a stillborn singleton, our second litter of 5 was fabulous, I am still nowhere close to breaking even, doubt I will ever be, my doggs are my hobby, they are where I spend my money - not earn it! I love my dogs, but they do not have any real income - even with a relatively straightforward pregnancy, whelping and raising, Our litter of 5, at $1K each, take away a grand for dna testing for diseases, another grand in vet costs easily (microchip, vaccination) feeding the litter? conservatively $1K, cost of the parents $2.5K, , cost of a good quality feed for the parents for a 12 month period? Don't want to think, but a couple K easily - so far, deeply in the red, and that is without expensive import parents that I would suggest would cost her more than she is reckoning on. What about the lost wages because she is sitting home waiting for the bitch to whelp / watching out for newborn pups etc, the cost of a substitute puppy milk if the bitch wont feed? And the fun part .... most - all of these expenditures have to be paid for before you get a cent for a puppy. Does she really have access to that much money? sadly if she does, you will find it hard to stsop her I reckon - puppies are a money spending activity, not a money making one - whendone properly (except maybe if you have humongous litters of extremely expensive dogs etc lol and even then, the heartache and lost sleep would be a destroyer lol)

A lot of people have no idea how much demand there is for purebred dogs in some areas, but any breeder can tell them that there is no guarantee how quickly any particular litter would sell, way too many variables! My litter had families waiting when they were old enough to leave - some breeders much better than me still have puppies at 4 months of age - let alone cross breed / designer dogs etc, plenty of those everywhere!

Ruth

Save your breath. You'll only put your blood pressure through the roof trying.

She's not going to find someone who health tests their poodles who'd let her use one as a stud dog anyway. Conclusion - she'll find someone online or in the Trading Post who'll offer a dog.

Edited by Haredown Whippets