Skin/coat Help

gusgem

My 12yr old choc lab is really struggling coat condition. He has fully recovered from his "gut" infection/inflammation, has put on weight and is back to his normal goofy self. I am currently feeding him pro plan senior with a tin of sardines or raw eggs, but his coat and skin are still horrible.

His skin is really dry when you brush him he has flakes of "dandruff", and his coat is really really wiry and coarse similar to a wire-haired terrier, it isn't at all soft and lab like. His coat colour is pretty good now that he has dropped most of his winter coat but its just the texture of his coat I'd like to try and fix if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? TIA

I sympathise with you Gusgem, My Male GSP Monte has always had shin issues ever since being a pup. he seemed to have a reaction to everything, to the point that he ended up on a low dose steroid daily to keep it in check. however, a few months (about 6) ago we switched his food to Nutro (the saleperson at the store talked my wife in to it, and I told my wife that it would make little difference as we had tried pretty much all of the major brands and none of them made a differnece) but my wife insisted on getting some and at the same time I bought a bottle of "Omega care oil"

Well, I have to say that I have been amased at the difference, his coat is shiny and in fantastic condition, all his sore bits are gone and he has not had a tablet for about 5 months, I am honestly gobsmacked at the difference as we tried so many avenues before going down the drug route before to get on top of it with literally no success and now it is like he never had/has an issue :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

problem is, we dont know if it is the Nutro or the Omega care oil (but I am happy to keep both going :) ) Obviously I tell my wife that it is the care oil :laugh: :o

Maybe give it a try?

You could also try a tablespoon of cold pressed organic coconut oil daily on his food....can work wonders not just with his coat but with other "old age" problems. Just make sure you get the proper one from the health food shop.

You could also try a tablespoon of cold pressed organic coconut oil daily on his food....can work wonders not just with his coat but with other "old age" problems. Just make sure you get the proper one from the health food shop.

I'm impressed with this stuff but would reduce the dose to a big teaspoon for an older dog.

Gusgem, you can tackle this internally and externally. Oil supplements (a balanced Omega oil mix and some coconut oil) and a good diet will help. Externally, stimulating the skin and coat with a brisk curry comb every day and using a good shampoo like the Groomers EPO would be the go.

Thanks so much for your suggestions everyone. I might try the OMega Care or Coconut Oil first because of course we have just started a big bag of food. I will also give him a good wash this weekend with some moisturising shampoo like suggested. Will let you know how he goes...

I would go the coconut (virgin, cold-pressed, unrefined) addition to diet as well.

And I would bath him using Calendula Tea. Might sound too benign to be effective but the results can be surprising. Not being shampoo based, it doesn't strip the coat of oil nor does it send the skin's natural pH balance into a spin.

Edited by Erny

I also found changing the shampoo sometimes makes a difference, i changed Abbey from Aloveen which i have always loved to Fido's Tea Tree, her coat came up 110% better than on Aloveen i couldnt believe it and she actually smelt cleaner longer. Its whatever works for your dog, but just thought id share.

And I would bath him using Calendula Tea. Might sound too benign to be effective but the results can be surprising. Not being shampoo based, it doesn't strip the coat of oil nor does it send the skin's natural pH balance into a spin.

Where would I find that?

My 12yr old choc lab is really struggling coat condition. He has fully recovered from his "gut" infection/inflammation, has put on weight and is back to his normal goofy self. I am currently feeding him pro plan senior with a tin of sardines or raw eggs, but his coat and skin are still horrible.

His skin is really dry when you brush him he has flakes of "dandruff", and his coat is really really wiry and coarse similar to a wire-haired terrier, it isn't at all soft and lab like. His coat colour is pretty good now that he has dropped most of his winter coat but its just the texture of his coat I'd like to try and fix if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? TIA

Hello - we had an old black lab years ago with the same bad coat condition. As soon as the vet saw his coat he suspected either hyperthroidism or hypothyroidism (I can't remember now which one it was now). Anyhow he was put on medication to control his condition and his coat went back to its soft shiny shelf.

It may not be that at all, but could it be worth investigating ?

Cheers,

sophiethecav

Edited by divinemissmillie

Where would I find that?

At the health food shop :)

All the suggestions you have received are great....but the calendula tea is IMO the real gem.

I am a total convert since using it on an itchy dog. It brought great relief in a very short time.

Calendula tea is bought at the health food shop in a packet like normal tea.

You brew it up like normal tea, instructions are on the packet, and when it cools you apply it on the dogs skin/coat.

All credit to Ernie who suggested it to me some time back. :thumbsup:

I know this isnt exactly the same topic but I thought i'd ask anyway. I have an 8 year old fox terrier x that gets itchy skin in summer due to grass allergies. I have heard that you can try human anithistamines for dogs, I have Avil (45.3mg pheniramine maleate)which I have heard works well but I was wondering about the dose rate? Can anyone help?

You can try human antihistamines. I can't help you with the dosage though. I remember it being recommended that I have antihistamines on stand-by if the Calendula Tea wash/rinse didn't help with the (estimated) 800+ hives that affected the whole of Mandela's body at one time and I knew the dosage back then, but as the Calendula worked a treat and kept the hives at bay, thwarting secondary skin infection, I never used the antihistamines and have now forgotten dosage.

Guest Labradork

I know this isnt exactly the same topic but I thought i'd ask anyway. I have an 8 year old fox terrier x that gets itchy skin in summer due to grass allergies. I have heard that you can try human anithistamines for dogs, I have Avil (45.3mg pheniramine maleate)which I have heard works well but I was wondering about the dose rate? Can anyone help?

I might be able to help.

I'm looking after my sister's Pug who has cancer (two mast cell tumours on his head and neck). Mast cells make histamine in people and dogs. The tumours (an over growth of mast cells) are releasing too much histamine in his body and his skin on his head and neck is inflamed and bright red. My vet said it's safe to give dogs Zyrtec (Ceterizine Hydrochloride). She recommended one 10 mg tablet a day for a small dog (my sister's Pug weighs 11 kilos). You can buy it over the counter from the chemist. Perhaps you could ring your vet and ask what dosage is best ??

ETA

My vet said you have to give them with food though.

Edited by Labradork