Commercial Raw Food Companies?

sas

I'm looking at switching my whole crew back over to RAW but not looking at doing it myself as I remember how time consuming it was!

What Commercial Raw Food Diets are there that are available in Sydney?

I know of Dr Billinghurst, Canine Country (Delivery was an issue).

We only have one permanent Dane plus a couple of x-breeds but with Dane fosters I need to look at affordablity as well.

Edited by sas

Have you tried big dog raw? Can't Rembrandt exactly but hopefully someone will remember exactly. I am going to try it next week as I'm guessing being called big dog the packs are bigger so hopefully more economical than dr bs which they,re on.Sorry typos on iPad and pita to correct

Have you tried big dog raw? Can't Rembrandt exactly but hopefully someone will remember exactly. I am going to try it next week as I'm guessing being called big dog the packs are bigger so hopefully more economical than dr bs which they,re on.Sorry typos on iPad and pita to correct

I have heard of them before and saw their site but I didn't realise they were in Sydney.

1351726053[/url]' post='6005602']
1351726009[/url]' post='6005600']

I have heard of them before and saw their site but I didn't realise they were in Sydney.

I don't know if they are but they have stockists around. I am getting mine from bargo. Hopefully they'll have some closer to you.

I don't know if they are but they have stockists around. I am getting mine from bargo. Hopefully they'll have some closer to you.

Yep, found a stockist, thanks!

K9 natural from Christchurch.

Actually I just saw I can get it from here: https://www.allbarks.com.au/shop/dog-food/k9-natural/dog-food-k9-natural

Looks interesting. For my Lab x it says for $122 I can get 107 feeds so that is just $1.14 per day.

Can you tell me more about it? Is it easy enough to prepare? Do the dogs like it?

It's in frozen pelleted form, or a freeze dried form. I feed the frozen at home, and have freeze dried on hand for showing. The frozen you can feed as is, or let it defrost and feed it... My dog likes it either way. The freeze dried, you add a bit of luke-warm water and let it sit, I break up the pellets a bit so it absorbs faster and feed like that.

My dog loves it, I have not heard of any dogs turning their nose up at it. Lots of agility people here feed it and swear by it. I find it quite handy as it's sold in supermarkets here too.

One of my friends works in a pet store here, and had a tour of the K9 Natural factory yesterday and said it was awesome, very clean, the owners were very knowledgeable and love their job :)

They have a website with more info - K9 Natural

Edited by DiscoDobe

I have a sample of K9 Natural in the cupboard but was unsure about how exactly to use it. It's kinda strange to me in that you just add a bit of water to it & that's it. But that's just my thoughts.

Sounds like a lot of people are very happy with it though.

I have just started Sonny on Big Dog Barf Kangaroo patties which he loves in the hope that his coat will improve after a food intolerance of some sort. There is nowhere around our area that sells it though so I

drive 2 hour round trip to pick it up for him. It comes in small portions I think from memory 200g's each. I pay about $26 per box of 12 patties. He gets 1 & 1/3 pattie + small meaty bone or 1/2 small chic frame.

+ 1 treat of an evening, usually 1/2 a vege pig's ear.

Edited by BC Crazy

I've been feeding the Big Dog BARF patties for about 5 months. The pack is 3kgs of 12 frozen patties that come in 3 strips of 4 patties that I cut up individually before storing in my freezer to make it easier to just pull one out. Where I buy it from it is $23-24 for the box, and at 1/2 pattie per day (plus chicken wing) my cost is about $1 per day ($1.50 if you count the chicken wings). Obviously my dog is a LOT smaller than a great dane! But I don't consider it an expensive way to feed.

We originally started on the Turkey variety, tried a Combo when they were out of stock of the Turkey, and are currently using a Chicken one... Cooper has loved them all!

Thanks for the link DiscoDobe. Yes it is just a totally different concept though obviously very effective isn't it? Your Elsie always looks a picture of health.

I figure if it's okay for hikers and astronaughts then it must be okay for dogs

I usually do feed the frozen one though, we just reserve the freeze dried for when we are away showing... I find it's especially good for that as you don't need to worry about trying to keep your raw frozen on long drives, or worry about having enough space in the hotel freezer or your chilly bin (or whatever you weirdo Aussies call it :p ) especially if there are multiple raw feeders in one hotel room!! Elsie really loves eating it, and she can be a little hit and miss with kibble eating (could take it or leave it) and I hate taking my dog out to a full day of showing on an empty tummy... At least with the reconstituted K9 I always know she will have a good feed before and after the show! One day when I have a bigger freezer I will probably just feed K9... Right now she is the only one that uses our tiny freezer with her bones and K9 (we're vegetarians and have no need for one LOL)

I've been feeding the Big Dog BARF patties for about 5 months. The pack is 3kgs of 12 frozen patties that come in 3 strips of 4 patties that I cut up individually before storing in my freezer to make it easier to just pull one out. Where I buy it from it is $23-24 for the box, and at 1/2 pattie per day (plus chicken wing) my cost is about $1 per day ($1.50 if you count the chicken wings). Obviously my dog is a LOT smaller than a great dane! But I don't consider it an expensive way to feed.

We originally started on the Turkey variety, tried a Combo when they were out of stock of the Turkey, and are currently using a Chicken one... Cooper has loved them all!

Wow, I'm a bit shocked at that price for Chicken or Combo. Ours are $19.95 and a couple of dollars more for Roo and Turkey. I hope you are at least on the Big Dog Barf loyalty program?

Sags

1351726053[/url]' post='6005602']
1351726009[/url]' post='6005600']

Hi Clyde - you're talking about Critter Bits in Bargo??? I got excited that they had the Big Dog food and went over there yesterday, but sadly they only keep the greyhound supplements, no (Big Dog) frozen food at all. I chatted to the nice lady there and she is going to order a box (she said - don't know how many is in a box) of the 2kg rolls of beef mix, plus some of the Muesli, for me to try. I only wanted one roll to try, so I presume the rest will go into her freezer...She said they'd consider stocking small amounts of Big Dog frozen if they had the demand.....

Don't know if this helps :)

Oh it does help, thank you!! They are listed as a stockist so I just assumed they would have stock. Thanks so much for saving me some angst. Will be sure to call first now :thumbsup:

Me too! I'll let you know what happens next week when I collect what she's ordered..... :)

Wow, I'm a bit shocked at that price for Chicken or Combo. Ours are $19.95 and a couple of dollars more for Roo and Turkey. I hope you are at least on the Big Dog Barf loyalty program?

Sags

I am in Melbourne, not sure where you are located, but their head office (and presumably their factory) are located in Queensland. I would assume some transport costs may be the difference?

I have no idea what the loyalty program is - care to share?