Skye Terrier In Blacktown Pound

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks it sounds dodgy that a bunch of people on here all got pipped at the post on the same dog?

Blacktown is a massive pound. Thankfully the back yard breeders have been stopped because all dogs must be desexed.

I'm sure there are dog brokers are still getting around the place and when they see a purebred they see $$$ signs.

That said, there are definitely decent homes out there who want to rescue a pound dog. He is very cute, he's the right age and size to appeal to many.

As someone who rescues a fairly rare breed with special needs, I still think it's a good idea to ring BP and offer expert knowledge to whoever has purchased him.

I emailed tdierikx this morning re offering a small amount to get him into her rescue, she said:- "I have spoken to Lyn, and she will be in contact with Blacktown Pound tomorrow to see if we can put our name on him"

Hopefully tdierikx will update tomorrow

I think with 5 EOI's, rescue has been dropped off by the pound as previously stated by 2 rescue people

Am I the only one who thinks it sounds dodgy that a bunch of people on here all got pipped at the post on the same dog?

Blacktown is a massive pound. Thankfully the back yard breeders have been stopped because all dogs must be desexed.

I'm sure there are dog brokers are still getting around the place and when they see a purebred they see $$$ signs.

That said, there are definitely decent homes out there who want to rescue a pound dog. He is very cute, he's the right age and size to appeal to many.

As someone who rescues a fairly rare breed with special needs, I still think it's a good idea to ring BP and offer expert knowledge to whoever has purchased him.

I emailed BP over a week ago with information on the Skye Terrier and their characteristics .I speak with them regularly . I do have information sheets that I email and I ask to give to any prospective new homes my details and 3 other Skye breeders from NSW & VIC detals are also on the sheets My details have been logged with BP for future reference if another Skye should come in. .Just because we don't run under a rescue banner doesn't make us idiots...........Geez as breeders that actually give a flying ratz for our kids I feel like we are condemned by some from the start.....If I sound defensive than so be it.....it is the terrier in me

Edited by glemhaith

Edited by glemhaith

Glemhaith, in no way was I suggesting that breeders are idiots I was simply trying to make a helpful suggestion, amidst quite a bit of unpleasantness where people were getting snippy with each other. I see no reason why it should be taken the wrong way.. Several people were stating that rescuers should have helped the breeders through the pound process in previous posts, so that the dog made it into safe hands.

I can also say that any rescuer pretty much knows they have to be prepared to buy a dog like a normal member of the public if they really want the dog. It used to be that you could be outbid at Blacktown which was a terrible system - i bid several hundred dollars to ensure I got a young female Italian Greyhound safely out of the hands of the back yard breeders that went looking for young and undesexed purebred dogs. She came undesexed for that money but all her vet work was done before rehoming.

Now, when you buy a dog from BP the vetwork is included in the price so there is some protection for the dogs but you do have to act quickly if you want a dog.

Feel free to act like a Skye terrier - I'm quite like a JRT myself. :laugh:

Edited by dogmad

Glemhaith, in no way was I suggesting that breeders are idiots I was simply trying to make a helpful suggestion, amidst quite a bit of unpleasantness where people were getting snippy with each other. I see no reason why it should be taken the wrong way.. Several people were stating that rescuers should have helped the breeders through the pound process in previous posts, so that the dog made it into safe hands.

I can also say that any rescuer pretty much knows they have to be prepared to buy a dog like a normal member of the public if they really want the dog. It used to be that you could be outbid at Blacktown which was a terrible system - i bid several hundred dollars to ensure I got a young female Italian Greyhound safely out of the hands of the back yard breeders that went looking for young and undesexed purebred dogs. She came undesexed for that money but all her vet work was done before rehoming.

Now, when you buy a dog from BP the vetwork is included in the price so there is some protection for the dogs but you do have to act quickly if you want a dog.

Feel free to act like a Skye terrier - I'm quite like a JRT myself. :laugh:

cheers as I say my defences are up ... ...I am not familiar with who is who and the forum pack.I felt like I was under attack I just would like the Skye terrier people to be seen for what they are and that is a closenit community that does care about their dogs, ( and no I am not looking for Brownie points or a merit certificate),I have gained a lot of insight from this forum . I was trying to locate the breeder to produce the microchip number thinking perhaps that may have been a way to secure the dog

Edited by glemhaith

Some advice for the future, Glemhaith: Discussions on DOL are just the tip of the rescue iceberg. Don't assume as some people do that DOL is the be all and end all of the dog world - LOL.

There are plenty of people in the rescue world who are not part of the DOL fraternity, for want of a better word :D

In other words, if you want something to happen, go about it and do it yourself and don't assume that because it is being discussed here, something is being done or what some people say is happening will actually happen.

Pounds are their own entities and don't dance to the tune played here.

I just had a quick look online and he is still listed on the Blacktown pound site, but can anyone tell me why his due date has changed from today 15/11 to 30/11?? Why would they hold him for a month?

Edited by Arcane

I just had a quick look online and he is still listed on the Blacktown pound site, but can anyone tell me why his due date has changed from today 15/11 to 30/11?? Why would they hold him for a month?

Can you call them and find out?

link....

Arcane, do phone them quickly and ask, may be a chance for you yet! (or maybe, if you ask her nicely, it will be possible for Juice can go there to find out)

Edited by Boronia

Of course phoning was next on the list you don't have to yell! It's a bit hard to drop everything while I'm at work to make extra curriculum phone calls.

Anyway I have called & apparently today of all days they have located some owner details. All his current EOI should have been notified. They are all still interested and come the 30 th we go back to first still interested EOI gets him. If he goes from the website between now & 30th that will mean he has been reclaimed by his owners.

I just submitted another EOI which I believe was received this time but I am currently 5th in line.

That is the info I was given direct from the pound a few minutes ago.

Guest donatella

What the frak is going on in that place!? so he has to wait another 2 weeks there! That is disgusting form if I'm reading that right!!