Skye Terrier In Blacktown Pound

My understanding is that the first person with an EOI and the full adoption fee for the dog will get said dog...

Rescue pays less than the full adoption fee, so are placed behind those who do have the full fee.

Hopefully the breeder EOI was placed for the full adoption fee...

T.

this post of T's (posted on the 12th)is pretty relevant considering what has happened subsequently. It is a shame that this was not made clear in the beginning as Arcane, or, in fact, any of us who have no idea how Blacktown works. Had we known, Juice could have popped in and put on an EOI rather than leave it up to rescue.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blacktown Pound work on 1st in 1st served then of cause go down the list if number one pulls out .

I find it better to go there in person as soon as you see a dog you like , if not ring

and also send them a fax .

my fingers are crossed that the little guy goes to a great home.

oh and a question do they have files on the dogs there ? I have only seen a piece of paper with a list of kennel number , sex , dog breed ,impound number .

It may also turn out that whoever has their EOI in first may be a great home for the dog... stranger things have happened... *grin*

T.

And you've had how many rare breeds?

Does it matter? What's with the theory that a general member of the public who adopts a dog from the pound can't be a kind and decent pet owner?

Just because the dog in question is a relatively rare breed, doesn't mean that the first person on the list to adopt it is less likely to give it a good home.

T.

It does to me. To those guardians of rare breeds it is of vital importance where one of their number ends up rather than thinking that as long as a dog has a home that's okay rather than having the right home for that breed. You think someone in rescue would care about that but your :D would indicate you just don't give a shit or just don't have any understanding of what it's like to have one of the rare breeds.

Edited by Sheridan

It may also turn out that whoever has their EOI in first may be a great home for the dog... stranger things have happened... *grin*

T.

Does it matter? What's with the theory that a general member of the public who adopts a dog from the pound can't be a kind and decent pet owner?

Just because the dog in question is a relatively rare breed, doesn't mean that the first person on the list to adopt it is less likely to give it a good home.

T.

It does to me. To those guardians of rare breeds it is of vital importance where one of their number ends up rather than thinking that as long as a dog has a home that's okay rather than having the right home for that breed. You think someone in rescue would care about that but your :D would indicate you just don't give a shit or just don't have any understanding of what it's like to have one of the rare breeds.

Well that is drawing a pretty long bow, Sheridan. It isn't as though the dog in question is a 70kg guardian dog.

If it matters so much to you, perhaps put your money where your mouth is and set up a breed specific rescue. Or have you already done that?

T.

T.

Well that is drawing a pretty long bow, Sheridan. It isn't as though the dog in question is a 70kg guardian dog.

If it matters so much to you, perhaps put your money where your mouth is and set up a breed specific rescue. Or have you already done that?

Sheridan has already put her money where her mouth is. She rescues wheaten terriers amd provides donations to assist with the rescue of crossbreed wheatens. I know because I have a crossbreed wheaten and I have benefited from her generous donation.

Thankyou Sheridan :thumbsup:

T.

T.

What, because the dog is small and cute, it doesn't warrant the same concern in rehoming as a LGD? What an extremely ignorant post.

It's not just the numeric rarity of this particular breed but more over their unique temperament . They are not in the league of many of the other small fluffy little dogs, not even many of the other terriers. People adopting a Skye need to understand that there is a strong willful aloof mindset under all that hair. They have surprising substance & strength and the will to use it if they are uncomfortable with the situation they are in. I could talk all day about it, but it is a truly unique temperament, and one which may be an underlying cause of them ending up in rehoming situations if not properly understood & managed.

I have been a 3 x a Chow owner, and I find many parallels, which is why I probably love the Skye so much.

Gosh what a mess. I was hoping that breed rescue had their EOI first up on the dog because that is where he should go or to Shmoo. Did anyone actually find the dogs breeder - how on earth does a Skye end up in a pound?

I have contacted Sheridan in the past re a Wheaten (or what we thought was a Wheaten :) ) and she was onto it immediately :thumbsup:

T.

T.

What, because the dog is small and cute, it doesn't warrant the same concern in rehoming as a LGD? What an extremely ignorant post.

I'll try to cope :laugh: :laugh:

Well since this was the first time the Skye had to deal with the specifics of Blacktown pound I think they can be forgiven for not knowing everything about how it works. They can't win, they try to rescue one of their breed, not even the actual breeder and they still get caned for not having knowledge on a pound they've never dealt with.

T.

T.

All I'm saying is that the person or persons who do end up adopting this particular dog may very well be a great home for him... who are we to decide that they aren't or can't possibly be?

T.

Actually Shmoo knows BP very well, and was the one saying it was under control.( no offence Shmoo, i have no axe to grind with you, sorry).

I had assumed that the EOI being placed was to buy him ,not a rescue one, as its the only way to make sure you do.

The argument that any home not the right home smacks of Pound Rounds to me.

OK - that is a bit below the belt Sheridan...

I'll take most forms of criticism, but comparing/associating my comments regarding this particular issue to PR is a bit rich.

All I said was that there is a possibility that the people with the first EOI on this particular dog MAY just be a good home for him.

If you wish to read into my statements things that just aren't there, then maybe you need to reread what I've posted in this thread before slinging accusations about.

Same goes for anyone else throwing accusations about (thanks juice) without thinking about what has actually been said.

T.

The fault is in the system. Any dog can go out to anyone and just because private rescue screen people who are taking them fact is NSW pounds could care less.

Unfortunately, that is the case, Steve. No home checks, no mandatory desexing (starting to be introduced in some places admittedly). Someone comes in and wants to buy a dog and the deal is done.

That said, in the vast majority of cases, those homes would be very bit as good as would have been found via a rescue organisation.

The fault is in the system. Any dog can go out to anyone and just because private rescue screen people who are taking them fact is NSW pounds could care less.

Unfortunately, that is the case, Steve. No home checks, no mandatory desexing (starting to be introduced in some places admittedly). Someone comes in and wants to buy a dog and the deal is done.

That said, in the vast majority of cases, those homes would be very bit as good as would have been found via a rescue organisation.

How do you know? Arcane who already owns a Skye Terrier has pointed out that their temperament may not suit everybody.