Heart Dog

mixeduppup

Occasionally you have a dog come into your life that grabs your heart in a way that no other dog can. You love all your dogs but this dog just bonds and connects with you in a way the others can't/don't. When I was in my teens I was given a kelpieX dog called Nina. She originally belonged to my next door neighbours and apparently she was born in an Aborginal camp in the QLD outback and her friend had brought her back after a job there and given Nina to her (who knows if this story is true or not, as my neighbours were quite druggies) Anyhoo, they had Nina for 3 days before bringing her to me and asking if I could take her as she was "too annoying". Anyway I had Nina for 3 years before she got out of the yard and never returned. I was devastated and walked the streets for months looking for her. I called the pounds and shelters for the past 5 years checking if they had found her. Since Nina I have never given my heart or connected with another dog like that. Tonight however, I was calling Maybe but called her Nina by accident and realised in that second that I loved her as much as Nina. I have finally found a new heart dog. It's a wonderful feeling. I feel like I'm betraying my other dogs with this revelation but there's nothing I can do. I think I can also finally stop calling pounds and shelters and move on and let go.

I know it's all soppy and stuff but just thought I would share. :D

Occasionally you have a dog come into your life that grabs your heart in a way that no other dog can. You love all your dogs but this dog just bonds and connects with you in a way the others can't/don't. When I was in my teens I was given a kelpieX dog called Nina. She originally belonged to my next door neighbours and apparently she was born in an Aborginal camp in the QLD outback and her friend had brought her back after a job there and given Nina to her (who knows if this story is true or not, as my neighbours were quite druggies) Anyhoo, they had Nina for 3 days before bringing her to me and asking if I could take her as she was "too annoying". Anyway I had Nina for 3 years before she got out of the yard and never returned. I was devastated and walked the streets for months looking for her. I called the pounds and shelters for the past 5 years checking if they had found her. Since Nina I have never given my heart or connected with another dog like that. Tonight however, I was calling Maybe but called her Nina by accident and realised in that second that I loved her as much as Nina. I have finally found a new heart dog. It's a wonderful feeling. I feel like I'm betraying my other dogs with this revelation but there's nothing I can do. I think I can also finally stop calling pounds and shelters and move on and let go.

I know it's all soppy and stuff but just thought I would share. :D

Beautiful. I'm happy for you.

I was also given a dog, a Beagle/Corgi cross, as a teenager.

Exceptionally good dog, and irreplacable as far as I'm concerned.

My other dogs are all special in their own way, but, as your story tells, I know they will reveal just how special they really are when they have to leave me.

Its not a thought I relish or dwell upon.

My heart dog was a beautiful black poodle who was given to me by my favourite Aunt for Christmas when I was 10 years old. I had desperately wanted a dog of my very own for years and had fallen in love with poodles after meeting my Aunty's one. It got to the point that I was so desperate for a dog and mum wasn't saying yes, that I was even pestering for a mouse or a bird! Anyway we travelled to Victoria to visit my Aunty for Christmas and she said why don't you go inside and see what you can find - anyway I found this tiny little black fluff ball lying in front of the heater, picked him up an went outside bawling my eyes out with happiness. That was the start of a very happy 13 years of adventures between the two of us. We were inseperable, he would wait at the window until I came home from school - then he would greet everyone else in the house - even though they may have been there all day, he only had eyes for me. When I started dating he came on my dates with me.... It was a case of love me, love my dog!!! I still miss Snoopy to this day, but my life has been filled with many other gorgeous dogs who are all still very special in their own ways.

My heart dog was a chihuahua named Mini who was a family dog when I was a teenager. She was killed in front of me by a neighbour's roaming dog. Would be 10 years ago now and it still gets to me sometimes. She was a special dog.

I've been surrounded by dogs all my life, thankfully my parents were sensible people who have always believed that it is ESSENTIAL that children have pets and there have been many "special" dogs in my life. Since 1986 I've been breeding and exhibiting dogs and a few have come and gone who have been "extra special" but my ultimate heart dog is with me now. I bred him, he was one of 9 in his litter but from about the age of 2 weeks, he started to tug my heartstrings.

At 3 weeks of age, he was the first to leave the nest and waddle over to climb on my lap and as he did, the name "Roger" popped into my head and it just stuck. I don't even really like the name but I figured he was telling me what his name was so it stayed. And he has literally been with me every day (except for a memorable week when he kept the Rajacadoo clan on their toes whilst I was interstate) and has never let me down. I adore this dog, he seems to reciprocate and I'm sure he reads my mind. I rarely have to tell him what to do, he anticipates my commands and he has shown me what devotion truly means. I'd be lost without him, he has been with me through thick and thin and some really nasty, torrid times of my life in the past almost 3 years.

He has always been a champion in my eyes, so it was just the icing on the cake for him to gain the final points for his title last weekend.

Oh and he'll always be with me....his face is tattooed on my leg! His name is pretty appropriate too....CH Ellz Forever Now...

:)

This topic has come up many times, so I won't go into the long story about my heart dog again. Kenny was definitely my heart dog, it affected me really badly when he crossed the "Rainbow Bridge".

Now I have my beautiful Cougar, who I love dearly, but Kenny was special & will always remain my number one heart dog. I still miss him so much. :cry:

My (first) heart dog was the best dog ever on the planet - her name was Woosie, and she was a Rotti. She went to the Bridge in 2004 and I still lose it (read go all weepy and choke up) when I talk about her...

... but recently I was fostering a couple of litters of rescue pups, and one little girl has completely stolen my heart. Her name is Harper, and she's a Staffy cross.

To be blessed with a second heart dog is the most wonderful gift... I'm still trying to think what good thing I could have done to be so lucky to have Harper find and pick me to be her one and only... *grin*

T.