Ocd And Self Harming Behaviours

yellowgirl

Yellowgirl I sent you a PM re costs but it was a few years ago when I received the information so it may well have changed.

Holy crap Ness! And that was from five years ago! I'd better start finding some stuff for ebay :)

Thanks for the heads-up though, much appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that the Clomicalm is the 'new prozac' for dogs, I remember the vet mentioning something about that at the time we were first discussing medication.

Clomicalm is an older style drug, a tri-cyclic anti-depressant, and is the drug of choice for separation anxiety. Prozac (fluoxetine) is more commonly prescribed for obsessive-compulsive behaviours (called "stereotypies" in animal behaviour).

Tryptophan can be given as a supplement, usually with a Vit B complex and some carbohydrates. Evidence reported in the recent literature suggests that increasing the % of tryptophan to other aminos in protein is sufficient to get it across the blood-brain barrier, particular if insulin is raised a little to shuttle other large neutral aminos towards other parts of the body. It does need other nutrients to eventually be turned into serotonin in the brain, but the dietary deficiency is more likely to be tryptophan (corn based foods are a likely culprit) rather than any other nutritional deficiency. I would just give it a try in the interim, it might help.

But I think prozac is your best bet, so it's great that you're going to see a veterinary behaviourist. They'll take a thorough history and prescribe the most appropriate drug if required.

That's super helpful, thanks so much Aiden! I'll print this out for my vet to look at. I have two bubs going in for post-surgery checks on Monday so I'll discuss it with her then.

Yellowgirl I sent you a PM re costs but it was a few years ago when I received the information so it may well have changed.

Holy crap Ness! And that was from five years ago! I'd better start finding some stuff for ebay :)

I know a few people who have been to Ian McBryde on Salisbury Highway and been happy with the support. http://www.shvs.com.au/staff.html

I know a few people who have been to Ian McBryde on Salisbury Highway and been happy with the support. http://www.shvs.com.au/staff.html

Thanks Piper, I'll give them a buzz.

Have you had a look at Bach flowers remedies. They work on the animals emotions and can be useful where an animal has been abused. They can be made up to the dogs

requirements

http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm

We've done The Beautiful Dog Company (drops and calming spray), Good for You (drops), Rescue Remedy (drops) and SOE Bioremedies (drops specially made for Daisy). I'll have a look at these guys tomorrow, thanks pirate :)

Something rather disturbing has contributed to Daisy's increase in behaviours in the past couple of days. The reason I posted today was because for two days she seemed much worse and I was getting worried. I posted another thread in general today about a noise on a tape recorder that I couldn't identify. To save you reading the pages and pages of posts, the short story is that I had a tape recorder going while I was out to make sure that the dogs weren't barking while I was away from the house. There was an absolutely horrible noise on the recording which came just after the sound of all the dogs apparently freaking out and barking and howling. After much investigation and many people listening and replaying the tape over and over, it turns out that at least one person came into my backyard on Friday afternoon, a man put his head through the doggy door and growled very long and loudly at the dogs, basically scaring them into terrified silence. We know it was a man, partly because of the sound of the growl and also because he whispers afterwards (still not sure what he was saying but working on it). It's all very horrible and creepy but thank god he didn't hurt the dogs physically or take any of them. I can hear Daisy's bark on the tape still barking at the man even though all the other dogs had become silent and I assume had all run away and hidden somewhere. All 4 kilos of my little Daisy had stayed facing the man who was trying to get in through the doggy door. I'm still in a bit of shock after discovering what actually happened. It also explains the extra wees inside over the next 2 days - not sure who from, but we only usually have maybe one accident a day... Friday night, Saturday and Sunday there were probably about 10 inside accidents over that period of time. I'm here thinking that at least two dogs must have a UTI or something.

Just wanted to let you know that we now know that poor Daisy had had much more to deal with over the past couple of days than I ever could have imagined, but at least I know now what was contributing to her behaviours increasing since Friday.

Have you tried using one of those inflatable collars (the other dogs is wearing one in the first video) on her to try and break the habit? You could give her something to chew on instead. When you take the collar off after some time, you could apply a foul tasting spray to the targeted areas as insurance. Just a thought.

OMG YG that is so creepy! Poor little dogs must have been very freaked out :( Pity you didn't have a surprise big dog in there to give creepy guy a fright! I think a video camera and subsequent trip to the police would be in order, that sort of behaviour is not on :mad:

Have you tried using one of those inflatable collars (the other dogs is wearing one in the first video) on her to try and break the habit? You could give her something to chew on instead. When you take the collar off after some time, you could apply a foul tasting spray to the targeted areas as insurance.

..sounds ok.. but I worry about what she then does , with all that compulsion and energy still happening ..but not able to release it in that way .....

:(

Hemp seed oil can be useful for dogs that are itchy. I use it for one of the corgis for pain relief and found that it stop him from scratching his chest. It also helped keep him a bit calmer. Just make sure it is Aust. Put about a teaspoon in the food. Also can use hemp seed.

Have you tried using one of those inflatable collars (the other dogs is wearing one in the first video) on her to try and break the habit? You could give her something to chew on instead. When you take the collar off after some time, you could apply a foul tasting spray to the targeted areas as insurance. Just a thought.

Yes, we've tried the collars Blackdog. Unfortunately if she can't get to her legs she goes for her tail or drags her bottom.

OMG YG that is so creepy! Poor little dogs must have been very freaked out :( Pity you didn't have a surprise big dog in there to give creepy guy a fright! I think a video camera and subsequent trip to the police would be in order, that sort of behaviour is not on :mad:

It's all very creepy WnH. I'm hoping to save up enough for a couple of cameras and will be making a police report today - while my friend stays here and dog-sits for me.

Have you tried using one of those inflatable collars (the other dogs is wearing one in the first video) on her to try and break the habit? You could give her something to chew on instead. When you take the collar off after some time, you could apply a foul tasting spray to the targeted areas as insurance.

..sounds ok.. but I worry about what she then does , with all that compulsion and energy still happening ..but not able to release it in that way .....

:(

That's exactly right Persephone, she finds another outlet.

Hemp seed oil can be useful for dogs that are itchy. I use it for one of the corgis for pain relief and found that it stop him from scratching his chest. It also helped keep him a bit calmer. Just make sure it is Aust. Put about a teaspoon in the food. Also can use hemp seed.

Thanks Pirate, I've heard good things about hemp products. Daisy's not itchy though, her issues are behaviour-based.

Gosh YG - that's so scary - are you going to the police?

Will be taking my recorder and freaking them all out at the police station today FM.

Have small terrier breed dog (Silky X Shih Tzu) about 4 yrs ago he started with this constant feet licking and biting for no apparent reason, I later connected the fact it started at same time as a fairly significant family crisis which emotionally upset me for some time, and he obviously was pinging off my behaviour and in order to get a message to me he would lick, I would yell "Stop", and the cycle continued, I took him to vet he had steroid injection to dampen down the histamine response, malaseb wash to bath and soak his feet in as per the vets instructions weekly for 5 - 10 mins standing in the solution (I used a baby bath). Then he also went onto an oral medication half tablet daily tapering off to 2nd daily I think it was some type of antihistamine.

We also changed his diet of dry food to exclude any yeast product, from all the licking and biting initially before it was properly treated he got this serious overgrowth of tissue around his nail beds and this has remained and I find now if I miss trimming his nails or using the Maleseb (only 2 weekly now) we get the licks and he begins to walk very gingerly as nails touch wooden floor and obviously cause him pain.

The other time he really went into hyper lick mode was when he had a soft tissue injury to his hip muscle and due to the pain he was in overdrive as soon as he went onto these prescribed tablets for pain it disappeared, so obviously the licking is a learned response to any distress.

There is some recent research about OCD type behaviours in dogs and lack of trace elements and vitamins. I don't have the reference handy but posted it in the general forum a few weeks ago, so if you do a search by my name you'll find it. You might also try fish oil supplements, there is research which links anxiety and aggression in dogs and people with inadequate omega intakes.

Yep Aphra that's why I put my fellow on the paw support omega 3 &6 supplement as well as the capsules for help with arthritis just in case it was pain related and these worked as I trialled off them for 3 months and his symptoms returned.

Have small terrier breed dog (Silky X Shih Tzu) about 4 yrs ago he started with this constant feet licking and biting for no apparent reason, I later connected the fact it started at same time as a fairly significant family crisis which emotionally upset me for some time, and he obviously was pinging off my behaviour and in order to get a message to me he would lick, I would yell "Stop", and the cycle continued, I took him to vet he had steroid injection to dampen down the histamine response, malaseb wash to bath and soak his feet in as per the vets instructions weekly for 5 - 10 mins standing in the solution (I used a baby bath). Then he also went onto an oral medication half tablet daily tapering off to 2nd daily I think it was some type of antihistamine.

We also changed his diet of dry food to exclude any yeast product, from all the licking and biting initially before it was properly treated he got this serious overgrowth of tissue around his nail beds and this has remained and I find now if I miss trimming his nails or using the Maleseb (only 2 weekly now) we get the licks and he begins to walk very gingerly as nails touch wooden floor and obviously cause him pain.

The other time he really went into hyper lick mode was when he had a soft tissue injury to his hip muscle and due to the pain he was in overdrive as soon as he went onto these prescribed tablets for pain it disappeared, so obviously the licking is a learned response to any distress.

Oh, your poor little boy zeebie :( Glad you've found a management program for him. They definitely do stress more when there is stress in the household too.

There is some recent research about OCD type behaviours in dogs and lack of trace elements and vitamins. I don't have the reference handy but posted it in the general forum a few weeks ago, so if you do a search by my name you'll find it. You might also try fish oil supplements, there is research which links anxiety and aggression in dogs and people with inadequate omega intakes.

I've also put her on Vital Greens phyto-nutrient powder Aphra http://www.chemistdirect.com.au/vital-greens-300g?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=vital%20greens%20300g&gclid=CJ_cxIXtubMCFQYipQod7B0AYA

All the dogs have a fish oil/omega supplement every day.

Yep Aphra that's why I put my fellow on the paw support omega 3 &6 supplement as well as the capsules for help with arthritis just in case it was pain related and these worked as I trialled off them for 3 months and his symptoms returned.

They really do help zeebie, I combine them with a Glucosamine/Chondroitin powder as well and it really helps the oldies with joint or arthritis issues.