Something Very, Very Weird

yellowgirl

You know it almost sounds like a koalas mating call. Wasn't near an open window was it?

My second guess would be one of the dogs making a strange sound

Okay, I think that will work Bjelkier. I'm going with the theory that a koala put his head through the doggy door (the back door is just off the kitchen, near the counter where the dictaphone was). I feel better now :)

It could be a loud noise from outside (something like a chainsaw or mower)...

I just played it and all Zig did was sit up and tilt his head to the side. He went back to sleep half way through it..

It does sound spooky though.. You tube it for sure..

Doors and windows were closed and the yard is very large Staffyluv, we don't get any big sounds coming into the house.

do you leave a radio or the tv on when you not home?

I leave the tv on Jules, it was on in the background (in another room) at the time.

Poltergeist!!!! MOVE NOW!! Or t's a dog groaning. :eek:

Helpful MUP ..lol!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of when I was in London 2 years ago and one night when I couldn't sleep I heard this blood curdling scream that went on for about a minute! Is scared me to death because it was so loud .... Found out the next day it was a wild fox ! Apparently it was that time of year that they mate... But also around the time I was there , on two separate occasions home owners were attacked in their homes from foxes :eek:

I have never heard a sound like it! I actually thought that it was a domestic and a woman was screaming lol.

That sounds like a Tasmanian Devil! Little buggers lurk around my place back in Tasmania.

Wouldn't make sense for one to be in SA, though, surely?

Wow, that second one sounded very similar! They're cute little things aren't they?

I'm going with Tasmanian Devil! :)

That sounds like a Tasmanian Devil! Little buggers lurk around my place back in Tasmania.

Wouldn't make sense for one to be in SA, though, surely?

And the likelihood of one being in SA and in yellowgirl's suburban kitchen would make even less sense. :laugh:

We're not going for sense here Snook, we're going for something I can live with so I can actually leave the dogs alone in the house again! :laugh: . At the moment, I'm thinking it's very possibly a Tasmanian Devil :laugh:

And the likelihood of one being in SA and in yellowgirl's suburban kitchen would make even less sense. :laugh:

:laugh: unless you live in Goolwa SA, then anything is possible !:rofl:

:laugh:

You never know, maybe they can teleport :laugh:

Though they are VERY loud. It sounded like one was inside at an old friend's house once, when it was behind the fence. It's a sound that carries.

But again, SA. There's no way it could get there.

Okay, teleporting Tasmanian Devil. I think we're definitely on the way to solving the mystery :D

Yep, I'd definitely go with bull koala.

...Or koala...

Reminds me of when I was in London 2 years ago and one night when I couldn't sleep I heard this blood curdling scream that went on for about a minute! Is scared me to death because it was so loud .... Found out the next day it was a wild fox ! Apparently it was that time of year that they mate... But also around the time I was there , on two separate occasions home owners were attacked in their homes from foxes :eek:

I have never heard a sound like it! I actually thought that it was a domestic and a woman was screaming lol.

It's not so bad once you actually know what something is, but I could imagine that it would have scared the pants off you at the time! Long sounds are spookier I think too.

Wowza. That sound at the end is freaking creepy. Glad I didn't listen to that when it was dark out. :eek:

The first part sounded to me like what the dogs in my neighbourhood do when they can hear a siren or see an animal like a fox or something. There was quite a lot of howling going on as well as normal barking. Kind of bizarre that everything went dead quiet as soon as that creepy sound happened. :bolt:

:laugh:

Same thing happened to a friend of mine while she was here.

We have a lot of foxes in our area so we're use to it but she was outside, in the dark, alone and it scared the hell out of her.

They really can sound like screaming women :laugh:

JEEEEEEESUS!!! :eek::cry:

I'm pretty sure that was one of the words I used at the time Aussie3...

Wowza. That sound at the end is freaking creepy. Glad I didn't listen to that when it was dark out. :eek:

The first part sounded to me like what the dogs in my neighbourhood do when they can hear a siren or see an animal like a fox or something. There was quite a lot of howling going on as well as normal barking. Kind of bizarre that everything went dead quiet as soon as that creepy sound happened. :bolt:

Yes, the fact that one of the dogs (I'm pretty sure it was Teddy) was howling was quite upsetting. There's also a loud, sharp bark just before the noise. And then quiet...

:eek: :eek: :eek: That sounded like nothing I have ever heard before. I bet you freaked out big time when you first heard it!

I have no clue!

I remember just sitting there with my eyebrows right up and my eyes bugging out, then replayed it, and replayed it, and replayed it. And it got creepier every time.

If it's a koala, I think we just got an idea of how intimidated (not!) they are about dogs in their area... which could be used as evidence to shut up those stupid Greens in Tweed Shire Council calling for a no dog zone for a new housing development for 40,000 people... *grin*

Right before the longer growling noise, it's like a larger dog has barked fairly near to where the dictaphone sits, then it's like maybe the same dog vocalising as if to tell the littlies to shut up...

Do you have one dog who has a larger/deeper bark than the others?

T.

It does sound like an animal, which is comforting LOL. My male golden has made a similar sound when yawning and 'talking' at the same time, but not for that length of time though, and also, considering the volume of the sound, it seems to be fairly close to your recorder, so not from outside. Also, i think i can hear other dogs howling in the background?

Brushtail possums can make similar sounds too. :)

I used to have possums at my previous place, noisy buggers they were too GeorgieB. Hadn't heard this kind of a noise from them though.

If it's a koala, I think we just got an idea of how intimidated (not!) they are about dogs in their area... which could be used as evidence to shut up those stupid Greens in Tweed Shire Council calling for a no dog zone for a new housing development for 40,000 people... *grin*

Right before the longer growling noise, it's like a larger dog has barked fairly near to where the dictaphone sits, then it's like maybe the same dog vocalising as if to tell the littlies to shut up...

Do you have one dog who has a larger/deeper bark than the others?

T.

I think a koala would win if it was between a koala and a dog tdierikx, even a group of dogs..lol. Yes, that bark and the growl noise sound really close to the mike, maybe one dog was right under it at the time? I've never heard that kind of growl or noise from any of the dogs here.

I know you said the tv was on in another room, but could Totally Wild (channel 10) have been on at the time ??:laugh: Im just being silly ;-)

Hey I'm okay with grasping at straws Jules :laugh: . I could still hear the tv in the background at the same volume when the noise had finished though.

It does sound like an animal, which is comforting LOL. My male golden has made a similar sound when yawning and 'talking' at the same time, but not for that length of time though, and also, considering the volume of the sound, it seems to be fairly close to your recorder, so not from outside. Also, i think i can hear other dogs howling in the background?

Yes, something had definitely upset the other dogs. They have that kind of reaction when someone comes to the front door, although not the howling. I agree, it does seem very close to the recorder as opposed to being outside.

I would have said Koala or maybe a possum, they sound purely evil. :laugh:

We're narrowing it down to koala or Tasmanian Devil at this stage Cazablanca :)

Guest Labradork

Jo you mention a doggie door - is it possible the dogs bark at something coming In through the doggy door then it growls and departs ? It does sound a bit like a koala to me.

A possum once poked it's head through our doggie door and growled at everybody, but that sounds supernatural.

Jo you mention a doggie door - is it possible the dogs bark at something coming In through the doggy door then it growls and departs ? It does sound a bit like a koala to me.

The doggy door is about a metre from where the dictaphone was westiemum. I'm hoping that the situation you describe is what's happened.

I listened again..and it was spookier :o

Just had some input from another friend. I need to go and listen to it up loud. Haven't been able to do that yet because the dogs go nuts when I turn it on. I need to go into a room with a pillow over my head and listen carefully. Will report back....