Switching To Comfortis

giraffez

My boys are currently on Advantage but it doesnt seem to keep the fleas away. I'm thinking of Comfortis. Does anyone know whats the difference between oral medication and topical? Does Comfortis only treat fleas and is not a worming product?

Can comfortis cause mild shaking/tremors in some dogs?

I recently started using it, (a few months ago) and Joey had a really bad reaction after first tablet, took him to the vets and they said it could have just been a once off. Said if it happened again, not to use it on him.

Hes been ok since, but when i give it to them, they both scratch like crazy for a few days after !

Renae has developed occasional mild shakes/tremors over the last few months, not sure if its related? but it seems to tie with then time ive been giving them to them.

I'm taking her to the vets this Sat morning just for them to give her a bit of a check over.. Not sure if it was related, they would admit to it..

They (the comfortis) do work over everything else that hasn't ! (once they get the initial scratching over with) Fleas are quite rampant where we live :(

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

This product is not advised for dogs who have seizures/epilepsy. Info is available either on the leaflet enclosed or on the manufacturers website (can't remember which). One of my dogs had seizures several years ago so I don't use this product on him. If you have any doubts concerns contact the company.

Edited by frufru

When this product first came out I read reviews from the States and a couple mentioned seizures then.I must admit that factor worried me and I didnt use it.I chose to err on the side of caution.,

Luckily I didnt use it on my cocker spaniel as she ended up having a massive seizure from a suspected brain tumour which ended her life, so it possibly may have hastened her demise.

When we took Renae to the vets yesterday to see what might be going on with her with her mild trances and mild shakes, I brought up about that it all started happening around the same time we starting using Comfortis. I said to the vet that you probably not going say anything against the product, and that its probably just a coincidence ? He said most likely it is a coincidence , but even he couldn't outrule that It might have triggered a reaction in her. Im still giving them both their monthly tablet until we get to the bottom of whats going on, because it does work more effectively than any other flea treatments we have tried on them He did a very comprehensive blood test, and we should get the results back this Tues. He doesn't think theres any serious to worry about at this stage.

She's been fine otherwise for her 10 years of age.