Rudy's Journey From Zero To Hero!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hi everyone :)

As some of you already know, I adopted my second dog on the weekend from the LDH. He's an 18 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that was found as a stray. His name is now Rudy Soho.

We have big plans for him, and he's (hopefully) going to be my first trial dog. I thought it would be an interesting thread for any agility newbies to see how much work is involved in prepping a dog from zero to trialling. That, and it'll be awesome to look back to see how far we've come!

I'd also love any pointers and advice as we plod along together :)

---

So far he has learned to sit, he's starting to respond to his name and we've started some verrrryyyyy basic circle work. He's quite food motivated but has no toy motivation as yet - HOWEVER he's very keen on gathering any clothing of mine and leaving it wherever he's been lying down. This morning we got out of bed to see a stockpile at the door LOL. He then took one of my shoes while I was washing my hair... I'm wondering if there's a way to transfer that, because he obviously has no trouble carrying things in his mouth!

He's very keen to work for praise, much more so than food.

It's so exciting to get to know the little guy and see just what motivates him :D

Thought I'd chime in!!

This is going to be an interesting and fun experience. Not to mention a great learning experience for us! Taking an 18 month old dog, with no training, from nothing to a dog who gets agility and jumping masters titles (:o).

So here we are, the beginning of a record of little Rudy's exploits - complete with training pics and hopefully some videos!

Agility foundation won't start till next year - so that's a couple of months to get off-lead reliability and a good recall. It should also be enough time to start to find what really motivates him and to start classically condition some toy drive. We could also start on some back-end awareness (although he can already walk backwards!) and targeting I guess.

Knowing the little guy just a little myself :)....

While he is food motivated, it's not a huge 'drive'...he takes food very gently and doesn't sprint after it. I'm thinking that throwing super-tasty, easily seen (cooked chicken breast) treats while running (throwing ahead) and doing circle work would be a good idea. Building a desire for toys - clicker, motivating food and a slowly, slowly approach!

Back and forth recalls also seem to be an exciting activity and might build up some speed while keeping things super fun!

I'm thinking we should hold off on static exercises for a while (sits, stays, downs, etc), until he gets the hang of fun training. The static exercises are easy to teach after he's starting to be excited about training.

Interested to hear other thoughts!!!! This is going to be a good thread to show what you train and what you achieve.

Emma - I'm sure your going to turn little Rudy into a superstar!

oh u have your work cut out for you,but when u get the results it means soooo much more, both my dogs have started late , Chopper was 18months when we started training and 2yp when start competing , he is now has JDM, JDO ADO, GDM,SDX , ADX , SPDX TITLES....Ricki was 2 when I got her and started competing this year at 3 , needs 1 q in each thing to go to excellant , oh except she has sd, spd lol , she is hard work , I never thought i would get her to trial, but now she is looking to be a extremely good agility dog , don't know if my handling good enough to take her to her full potential, I know I hold Chopper back :o

Hey Panzer, your doggie sounds gorgeous. My old man used to take socks or underwear to his bed when he first came from the pound, I think he was just nesting. I look forward to hearing how you train agility, lots of pics please.

Edited by hankdog

I'm another agility newbie. We just started Agility 3 or 4 weeks ago, so now I obviously know everything there is to know :laugh: not.

Diva is 3 Have to say she is good but user error is high, I'm the one needs training not her :)

Weaving is our biggest issue, some days she does it beautifully if not slowly other days she just looks at me like I'm crazy for even thinking she might contemplate doing it.

Squeee! I already have my foundation plan for my next pup - who I'll only be getting in 5+ years unless I win the lotto and can give up work.

I think if you focus on engagement, a communication system and having fun then the rest just falls into place.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Well we think we've discovered why he's a stray - he's a bolter! Engagement games are CRUCIAL at this point!

He's also relaxed enough to start chasing a ball :D

Nothing else to report so far...

Megan -SQUEEEE!!! Another Schanuzer?

Guest Panzer Attack!

Super pleased today and have formed a plan of attack!

We are just about to start crate games :D Bought him a lovely wire crate and have boiled up a chicken breast. Took him for a loooong walk today tho and he's snoring quietly next to me, so might do it with Scooter instead lol.

Also for DiscoDobe who PMed me to let me know about teaching tug etc with clothes - I've discovered he's slightly obsessed with my underwear :o so against my better judgement I've started throwing it around the house and encouraging any kind of movement. It's been working and he's developed a weak fetch already!!!! BUT I've been using the other dogs as a tool in my toolbox, and now Ru is starting to 'get' that toys are fun and for playing. He tugged on Scootie's flea toy for a millisecond today!!!!!!!!'

So proud of both my boys :D

Oh how exciting! We've had our little poundie for about 3 months now and can tell she's had absolutely zero training prior to us getting her. We've got a little issue to work through first with her getting over stimulated around other dogs (not good for agility as was pointed out to me :D ) - but hoping to be able to get to agility with her once we've organised that.

It makes you so proud of them (and yourself) when you see it click in their heads and they respond to what you're teaching them.

I'll be watching your thread with great interest :thumbsup:

Guest Panzer Attack!

OMG YOU GUYS, WE JUST PLAYED TUG FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!! He's been slowly converting to feral courtesy of Scooter the Wildchild and was playing with a toy with him today. I managed to snatch the toy at just the right moment and he kept holding onto it while it was in my hand! Of course I squealed like an idiot and he dropped it, but I wouldn't let him have it again (teasing him like crazy) until he leapt up and grabbed it again :D :D :D

Got a short vid, I will post if I can figure out how! So proud of him.

Gorgeous vids!

Let him win most of the time, that should make it even more fun for him (you probably already know that, but thought I'd mention it just in case).

Edited to get Rudy's gender right (sorry Rude-boy. XD)

Edited by Wobbly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Panzer Attack!

Oh, oops, I kinda forgot this thread existed haha.

We are going from strength to strength at the moment. At the Dogs Day Out Ru was so responsive and gentle with everyone I've decided to try my best to get him accredited as a Delta Therapy Dog :) He looooves everyone!

In terms of training we are doing really well! We have a nice solid sit now (he was sitting for hand signals only at the DDO which is amazing considering how incredibly distracting it was!) and have FINALLY forged a down (he lies on his side naturally so it was difficult to get this without a lure, and he's really clumsy so hard to lure!) ... On our second day of proper clicker charging and he gets it and is starting to understand *look at food* *look at me* *treat*. What a good boy :D He's also doing really well with his whiplash turn training and I'm SO proud to say the one time he bolted out the door this week he recalled almost instantly.

Oh - and we've learned to fetch tennis balls! Love this dog!

He's encouraged me to get back into training Scootie too, who is now heeling beautifully and starting to do side sits (next to me) really well. Anyone who has trained a toy breed before can understand just how much harder it is to get them in position compared to a larger dog!

Guest Panzer Attack!

OH! - and THE most important and exciting part... I never thought it could be done but 4 days into turfing the citronella collar (which did nothing) and using RBT BOTH dogs have started barking so much less, especially Scooter! I really thought debarking would be the eventual path but they only really bark when I get home now (not when Luke gets home LOL). It's sooo nice to come home to a quite relaxing house. GOOD DOGS.