Okay, I Finally Snapped And Was Rude

Loving my Oldies

I walk past one our local pubs quite often and walking three at a time I often get comments from people standing out the front having a smoke, generally I am listening to a book, so I don't really hear but smile and nod. Tonight from a lady was "oh you walking the dogs". Errr, *smiles nicely and nodding away*, thinking WTF do you think I am doing, mowing the lawn?!

I also like it when people say hi, and often stop for a chat. But occassionally I am slightly perplexed.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the others here; he was of course just being polite and connecting with you. We are bound to hear the same things again and again and we just need to be patient and remember that it's the first time for that person! I've got Flatcoats and this is how it goes for me:

Them: "Wow !! What sort of dogs are they?"

Me: "Flat Coated Retrievers"

Them: "Black Coated Retrievers? Huh."

Me: "No. FLAT Coated Retriever"

Them: "Black Coated Retriever eh. I've heard of Golden Retrievers but never a Black Coated Retriever"

Me: "Not BLACK. F L A T (by this time making crazy flat-like hand motions)"

Them: "Oh. Anyway, I will remember them. They are beautiful! Black Coated Retrievers..."

Me: "sigh..."

I was walking my dogs this morning, 3 littlies. I'm always delighted if anyone says Good Morning as so many people either ignore you or look in horror at your approach as if they are about to be savaged. This morning a guy was washing his car and explained to me he was trying to get mud off, another lady was out doing her garden and I always take the time to tell her how beautiful it is. It gives me a lot of pleasure to see it so why not?

A few years ago I was out walking on Christmas morning with my dogs in a dog park. In my UK village it was common practice to wish everyone you met a "Happy Christmas". I did that and didn't get one response, just strange looks - I haven't ever tried it again, I feel sorry for people that they can't even exchange a simple greeting these days.

When I came to Sydney from Brisbane many many years ago, I was a morning runner. My morning runs in Brisbane were regularly like a social occasion - everyone said hello, people waved from cars, early workers waiting at bus stops, said hello, how are you, you're looking well ..... and so on.

I remember with great fondness the elderly woman who ran down the front steps of her high Queenslander one morning with an umbrella because I was running in the rain. :laugh: :laugh: I assured her I was fine and that the rain was a welcome relief from the heat.

What a shock Sydney was. No one said hello or even nodded. Quite the reverse in fact. Rigid faces staring straight ahead and total ignore. However, I pressed on and only when I'd finally given up after about 3 months did I actually get an unsolicted hello. I wondered whether the person was from Brisbane :D

I am surprised that so many posters have assumed, quite incorrectly, that I am a cranky grump who doesn't like to talk to people :laugh: :laugh: . I couldn't count the number of times my walks turn into a chatting session with some neighbour or other, and even :eek::eek: some stranger who happens to make a comment on the dogs. Luckily my dog are well behaved and will sit quietly around our feet while we chat. :D :D

Not everyone who says hello is being friendly, however. A few years ago, I was walking Tiny Tilly, now gone to god, on her own because she was blind and I preferred to be able to give her my undivided attention. Plus the fact we could stand in the one place for 5 minutes while she happily sniffed. This particular day, I was about 100 yards from home in the next street when I saw this man walking along the street. He looked familiar and he was obviously coming towards me. I said hello (thinking how nice the neighbours were) he said hello and then started to abuse me for not picking up after my dog. Anyway, he was right off base and I told him that I always picked up after my dogs and pulled out bags from my pocket. He huffed and puffed for a while and then turned around and stomped off home.

After a little chat the next day outside his house about being polite and neighbourly ( :D :D ) he came charging down the road to my place with a huge bunch of Camellias.

When I see our local wolf hound - I check for the slobber towel - if the owner hasn't got it, I keep well away.

Our evening radio host - has finally had enough of people telling him, when he's lighting up, that smoking is bad for him. He's started answering as if that's the very first time he's heard it. "Oh, Really? I'm shocked! I never knew that, thank you so much for telling me"...

When I see our local wolf hound - I check for the slobber towel - if the owner hasn't got it, I keep well away.

Our evening radio host - has finally had enough of people telling him, when he's lighting up, that smoking is bad for him. He's started answering as if that's the very first time he's heard it. "Oh, Really? I'm shocked! I never knew that, thank you so much for telling me"...

:rofl: Whilst I personally don't approve of smoking and the cost it inflicts on our community...that's a good one! :laugh:

Poor guy...he was just trying to be friendly. You probably ruined his day & he will never give a smile or a friendly comment to a stranger ever again. :( Another one bites the dust, all because of some rude person who can't give a smile back. :mad Remind me when I am out walking next time, not to look at anyone or give them a friendly greeting, just incase they are some rude person, having a bad day & they snap at me & ruin my day as well. :(

Poor guy...he was just trying to be friendly. You probably ruined his day & he will never give a smile or a friendly comment to a stranger ever again. :( Another one bites the dust, all because of some rude person who can't give a smile back. :mad Remind me when I am out walking next time, not to look at anyone or give them a friendly greeting, just incase they are some rude person, having a bad day & they snap at me & ruin my day as well. :(

Umm, that's a bit extreme :confused:. Maybe re-read what the OP did say to the man...

I solved the problem of people asking the same questions about my Wolfhound by making my own t-Shirts :thumbsup:1589693.8976538.jpg

That's great! A fair few of those would work for my Leonberger too.

I also get told all the time that I should charge people to pat him and that I'd make a fortune. Each person who tells me that looks really proud of themselves, like they've solved the dilemma of what must be a huge food bill. I always try to laugh it off and agree, but the type of people who suggest that always seem to insist that I really should.

I agree with the others here; he was of course just being polite and connecting with you. We are bound to hear the same things again and again and we just need to be patient and remember that it's the first time for that person! I've got Flatcoats and this is how it goes for me: Them: "Wow !! What sort of dogs are they?"Me: "Flat Coated Retrievers"Them: "Black Coated Retrievers? Huh."Me: "No. FLAT Coated Retriever"Them: "Black Coated Retriever eh. I've heard of Golden Retrievers but never a Black Coated Retriever"Me: "Not BLACK. F L A T (by this time making crazy flat-like hand motions)"Them: "Oh. Anyway, I will remember them. They are beautiful! Black Coated Retrievers..."Me: "sigh..."

Funny! Not something I'd ever thought of, but I can see how it would trip non-dog people up. My breed conversation goes like this quite often

Them: What breed is that?

Me: a Leonberger

Them: A Whatburger? A HAMBURGER?

Them: :rofl:

Me: Um, sure. You got it!

:laugh:

Good grief!! :laugh:

Umm, that's a bit extreme :confused:. Maybe re-read what the OP did say to the man...

Now there's a thought - :laugh: :laugh: .

You think its bad when your walking dogs. Try walking a ferret and wait for all the second glances, comments and loud whispers once you pass them "OH MY GOD ITS A FERRET", "Does he bite?", "Do they realy stink", "How much are they worth?", "What kind of animal IS that??" or just the rude "They are horrible nasty animals".

Honestly, I can't see what you said was rude. If that's "rude".... Geez. XD

To be honest - I am TIRED of people and their unwanted opinions. I was raised to keep my opinions to myself, as they were MY opinions and not necessarily what someone else wanted, let alone needed, to hear. Why do people think that everything in their head needs to be expressed?? I hate it when opinionated people try to be smarmy. He could have easily just said "Hi" or "Good Morning". To be honest, after putting up with comments that long you've done very well. Think nothing of it; he was probably one of those people at parties who laughs at their own jokes loud and long XD

You think its bad when your walking dogs. Try walking a ferret and wait for all the second glances, comments and loud whispers once you pass them "OH MY GOD ITS A FERRET", "Does he bite?", "Do they realy stink", "How much are they worth?", "What kind of animal IS that??" or just the rude "They are horrible nasty animals".

Poor you.

I rescued a ferret once. I was in my lounge and saw something move beneath the piano stool. Did a double take - :eek: that's not one of my dogs!! :laugh: :laugh: Without even giving a thought to how "horrible nasty animal" it was, I grabbed it and put it in the bathroom.

Luckily I knew a couple who did Ferrett Rescue and they came and collected him the following day. I did put posters up around the place because the little girl/boy had been seen around the place in case someone was looking for him. The remarkable thing was that he'd safely negotiated Old Canterbury Road.

I have to admit though, it took a lot of scrubbing to get the smell out of my bathroom and I had to replace the shower curtain.which was shredded. But I still consider that my fault because I should have put him in a crate. He was probably terrified.