Okay, I Finally Snapped And Was Rude

Loving my Oldies

eta: on the scale of rudeness, "no, it's quite easy" is pretty bloody tame, MM. I don't think you have to worry about scarring the man for life ;)

I thought it was pretty restrained too, LC? I think some posters are worried that he has suffered severe psychological damage and that I have comprised forever the chances of older women being able to engage in meaningful conversations.

:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah it's not like you used the C word :laugh:

You mean... CAT?! :scared:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Labradork

eta: on the scale of rudeness, "no, it's quite easy" is pretty bloody tame, MM. I don't think you have to worry about scarring the man for life ;)

I thought it was pretty restrained too, LC? I think some posters are worried that he has suffered severe psychological damage and that I have comprised forever the chances of older women being able to engage in meaningful conversations.

Of course :laugh:

He probably would have said the same thing if you have a few kids or lots of shopping. Poor bugger probably won't bother being nice to older women with lots of dogs again.

Hmmmm, is this how things should be? No eye contact, best just to look straight ahead and not smile?! No small talk comments, unless 100% original and 'patent-worthy'?

Yes, it does get boring hearing the same comments again and again. And there have been quite a few moments where I really did not want to interact with strangers, because I am tired or preoccupied with thoughts. But then, it is nice to think that this little Yorkie, or the huge Dane or group of lively doggies, can bring a smile to someone's face. :walkdog:

Feel free to laugh and make cheeky comments about my little 'rat' if ever you should meet us in the street. And yes, it is not always clear 'who is walking who'...

I only passed four people on my walk today. Two were kids talking who ignored us, one was an adult who called out from the other side of the road "that's a horse" and the other was a kid who made a petrified sort of noise as we walked sedately passed. I've had heaps of positive experiences talking to people who start off with the typical comments. Passing the scared kid today reminded me that's it something that has almost never happenes. There's something about the giant teddy bear, often kids who are very scared will still tentatively approach and pat him, and they always look so proud of themselves afterwards. :thumbsup: Also, most kids ask me really politely if they can pat him before touching him, so there must be lots of parents round here doing a good job! Quite often when one person asks to pat him, it's like it gives everyone else in the vicinity the permission to also pat him. He quite often he ends up on the ground with kids hanging all over him (and a few adults usually too). Just as well he thinks he's so awesome, that it's totally normal for him. He makes the most of it.

Quite a few of the people who start with the typical comments turn out to be really interested in the breed and what they are like to live with. Many people have offered to take him off my hands. :laugh:

So although it can be a bit frustrating at times (sometimes I try really hard to avoid eye contact so I can just keep walking) mostly my experience has been positive. The pup prefers the sedate stop start pace in summer anyway.

I do think the original comment about it being easy hardly makes it onto a scale of rudeness though! Honest, a bit blunt, and straight to the point. Sometimes I do end up smiling and agreeing as I walk past someone who comments "he must eat a lot", even though he really doesn't. :o

Edited by Aphelion

Guest Labradork

That's nice to hear Aphelion. We normally have positive experiences on our walks. I'm very happy where I live and the locals are warm and friendly.

I responded to the woman at the vet's in the way I did because I was anxious about Poppy's teeth. She was pretty rude but I could have overlooked it. And I think my nosey neighbour is just a bit lonely.

Edited by Labradork

That's nice to hear Aphelion. We normally have positive experiences on our walks. I'm very happy where I live and the locals are warm and friendly.

I responded to the woman at the vet's in the way I did because I was anxious about Poppy's teeth. She was pretty rude but I could have overlooked it. And I think my nosey neighbour is just a bit lonely.

I feel like someone who makes that kind of comment is pushing it anyway, particularly when they don't understand what they are criticising. It's hard not to respond slightly defensively to something like that. People sometimes ask me why I muzzle my dog. They almost always say that while they are patting him, and when he clearly has his mouth wide open while panting, so that actually biting would clearly be pretty easy. It's a halti and he doesn't love it, but it prevents me being dragged off my feet during a bouncy moment. I doubt I'd have so much patience if someone just started off by telling me it was cruel...and I'm usually pretty patient!

I was walking my dogs one day , had my swf off lead , she was roaming off the path in the park , never paid any heed or went near the woman , she said" dogs shouldn't be off lead ! "quite rudely with a turned up nose . I said "someone let you off !"and kept walking

I get comments all the time when I walk our 4. They walk really well, two on either side of me, no pulling or getting ahead, etc. I usually just smile and nod, it gets rid of the people faster. :laugh: Another reason I try to walk super early or super late!

Edited by halfthewords

I get comments all the time when I walk our 4. They walk really well, two on either side of me, no pulling or getting ahead, etc. I usually just smile and nod, it gets rid of the people faster. :laugh: Another reason I try to walk super early or super late!

If by 4, you mean the ones in your sig, no wonder people comment, one of them is a cat. :rofl:

I was walking my dogs one day , had my swf off lead , she was roaming off the path in the park , never paid any heed or went near the woman , she said" dogs shouldn't be off lead ! "quite rudely with a turned up nose . I said "someone let you off !"and kept walking

Was it an off-lead area?

:rofl:

Was it an off-lead area?

yes it was in the area where dogs were allowed off , later because of non poop picking people it was made non dog , but back then it was allowed

she was just a cranky dog hating person obv

Was it an off-lead area?

yes it was in the area where dogs were allowed off , later because of non poop picking people it was made non dog , but back then it was allowed

she was just a cranky dog hating person obv

Yeah in that regard then she was being ridiculous!

Yep, you have to watch men like that. It was obviously his pick up line, and if you hadn't nipped it in the bud he would have taken you for coffee, given you a ride in his 'cedes, taken you to his 20th floor harbourside apartment, taken you out to dinner regularly, and bought you Chanel No 23 and Whittaker's chocolates, things from Victoria's Secret and rides on his yatch ......

yep better to choke him off.

(Actually, I didn't think that was really so rude (which is probably a worry, I used to have social skills)) :rofl:

Might begin walking the dogs. Where was this again? :D

The funny one we get when my sister and I walk a husky/shep cross, sbt and a pei is "could you not decide on a breed?"

I must admit though that I am a fan of bright, colourful matching leashes and collars even on my fosters and even with harnesses, because I've always felt those big studded collars on sbt's make them look scarier than they might be. I have been known to struggle to leave the house when I can't find the right lead for the collar the dog is sporting even though I am aware the dogs don't give a toss!

I never quite understood people getting upset over trite but benign comments. It's like getting angry because the check-out person always asks you how you are or your work colleagues always say 'hello' in the morning.

I always get 'mini-me!' comments because I have two dogs who look the same only one is big and one is small. I genuinely enjoy any attention my dogs get from strangers. They're my babies and I love talking about them!

Guest Labradork

I feel like someone who makes that kind of comment is pushing it anyway, particularly when they don't understand what they are criticising. It's hard not to respond slightly defensively to something like that. People sometimes ask me why I muzzle my dog. They almost always say that while they are patting him, and when he clearly has his mouth wide open while panting, so that actually biting would clearly be pretty easy. It's a halti and he doesn't love it, but it prevents me being dragged off my feet during a bouncy moment. I doubt I'd have so much patience if someone just started off by telling me it was cruel...and I'm usually pretty patient!

I think they are pushing away the love of a beautiful animal. Some people can't see that animals are just pure love.

Edited by Labradork

I'll pay that !! Hilarious. I wish I could think of come backs like that :)