Dog Attack Caught On Camera

melzawelza

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Words escape me, another example of an owner failing to comprehend the possible danger that their dog represented, and another innocent victim.

RIP little dog, healing thoughts to the lady and her remaining little friend, :-(

How utterly awful :( The poor owners and their dog.

More evidence as to the failure of BSL to protect the community.

How dreadful, but I don't see what BSL has to do with this?

Poor lady, and RIP little doggy :(

It has everything to do with it. BSL is supposed to protect the community from dog attacks. Victoria has the strongest and most draconian BSL in the country, with hundreds of dogs being seized and killed because of their appearance within the state. Yet horrible, horrible attacks continue to occur. This is a perfect example of how BSL targets dogs that may never be an issue, and misses dogs that are.

Very , very sad indeed :(

What a horrendous way for that little 14 year old dog to end its life . The poor lady and other dog must still be traumatised.

Rip little shih tzu and healing vibes to the owner and other little dog.

It has everything to do with it. BSL is supposed to protect the community from dog attacks. Victoria has the strongest and most draconian BSL in the country, with hundreds of dogs being seized and killed because of their appearance within the state. Yet horrible, horrible attacks continue to occur. This is a perfect example of how BSL targets dogs that may never be an issue, and misses dogs that are.

Exactly. How many dogs have to die before they admit it doesn't work?

:eek: That poor Lady and poor little dogs. What an awful way for the little old dogs life to end.

I wonder why they didn't immediately euth the GSD?

So sad, RIP little dog. :cry:

I can't speak for Victoria as I don't know the legislation like I do NSW, but here we can't just euth a dog, no matter how bad the attack was. The owner has to either surrender it or you have to go to court and seek a destruction order. I'd assume it'd be similar there.

ETA: There are exceptions to that if the dog is already declared dangerous or restricted in certain circumstances. But a dog with no history the above applies.

Edited by melzawelza

As someone who is elderly and who owns two smaller dogs (10-12 kgs) I cannot watch that video. I know I would be too terrified to ever walk my dogs again. I once owned big dogs (30 kgs) and I love big dogs but I acknowledge that I am now too old to be able to manage one if a difficult situation arose, so like many other small dog owners I made a responsible decision. Big dog owners need to accept that they have an extra responsibility to keep people and smaller dogs safe because their dogs can do more damage. I want to be able to walk my dogs and feel safe. Is that too much to ask?

My dogs are trained and walked on a leash.

As someone who is elderly and who owns two smaller dogs (10-12 kgs) I cannot watch that video. I know I would be too terrified to ever walk my dogs again. I once owned big dogs (30 kgs) and I love big dogs but I acknowledge that I am now too old to be able to manage one if a difficult situation arose, so like many other small dog owners I made a responsible decision. Big dog owners need to accept that they have an extra responsibility to keep people and smaller dogs safe because their dogs can do more damage. I want to be able to walk my dogs and feel safe. Is that too much to ask?

100% :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

How utterly devastating for the owners of the little mites...

Have we not turned enough of these threads into a big dog vs little dog thread - why can't we just acknowledge that we all feel very sorry for the owner, the loss of the little mite and the other little one who is injured...

This is a deed, not breed or type thread (but it will probably turn into one like all the others do)...

RIP little one...

100% :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Totally agree. I personally know two women who have GSD's that can be over-reactive and both have admitted that they have had to drop the leash to prevent themselves getting dragged. This totally infuriates me as I believe if you cannot take the steps to control your dog (ANY DOG) then you shouldn't have one. We all have a right to walk our dogs without the fear of being rushed or attacked. However, it appears a lot of these dog attacks are coming from loose dogs that are escaping yards and I believe all dog owners (and prospective dog owners) should have to be licensed and premises checked for adequate containment/housing.

How utterly devastating for the owners of the little mites...

Have we not turned enough of these threads into a big dog vs little dog thread - why can't we just acknowledge that we all feel very sorry for the owner, the loss of the little mite and the other little one who is injured...

This is a deed, not breed or type thread (but it will probably turn into one like all the others do)...

RIP little one...

I think you will find that the very first post raised the BSL issue (breed) and once again, this was an horrific attack by a larger breed dog on a small one, so it was quite literally big dogs Vs little dog, and once again, little dog lost. So the posts are hardly "off topic" are they?

The original post was turned in to a party political broadcast, so what exactly were people expected to write?????

Makes your blood run cold, that dog went straight in no circling, no anything, just straight in. That poor woman and those dogs. Amazing people who stopped and helped her. Restores your faith in the human race.

I have always had big dogs, I now have Whippets. Attacks like this concern me as my dogs have very little cover and a bite like that is deadly.