Dog Attack Caught On Camera

melzawelza

Yes but the BSL issue was raised as an example of it not working. Not to defend the attacking dog or other dogs like it.

Yes, and the big/small dog issue was raised because it was a big dog that attacked and killed a small one, Now, as the large dog in question was not on the BSL list and as far as the information that anyone has presented, was not identified as a previous dangerous dog, X breed, entire or unregistered how would scraping BSL of stopped the poor little dog losing her life?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but the BSL issue was raised as an example of it not working. Not to defend the attacking dog or other dogs like it.

Yes, and the big/small dog issue was raised because it was a big dog that attacked and killed a small one, Now, as the large dog in question was not on the BSL list and as far as the information that anyone has presented, was not identified as a previous dangerous dog, X breed, entire or unregistered how would scraping BSL of stopped the poor little dog losing her life?

Perhaps it wouldn't - some people will always have uncontrolled dogs. However if the law and media attention and education was directed towards DEED not BREED then perhaps we would see far fewer of these tragedies?

Basically - if as much money, hot air and energy that went in to creating BSL went in to a campaign of education rather than fearmongering then perhaps this wouldn't have happened.

I have Staffords but even so I am wary of larger dogs - an attack such as this would have less chance of being fatal to one of my guys but they would still be badly injured.

Edited by Sandra777

Because if we actually had models in place that have been proven to work, we would have less attacks overall.

Because if we actually had models in place that have been proven to work, we would have less attacks overall.

So how would that have stopped the small dog losing it's life? what Model would have identified the GSD that attacked it from doing so today? If there isn't a model that would have prevented it why bring it or BSL up in the first place?

So how would that have stopped the small dog losing it's life? what Model would have identified the GSD that attacked it from doing so today? If there isn't a model that would have prevented it why bring it or BSL up in the first place?

The Calgary model for one, which has been spoken about many times in other threads.

Of course, no-one can say if this exact dog would have been attacked or not but if we were using a model that reduces attacks overall, it inly makes sense to say less dogs will lose their lives.

Who said repealing BSL would have prevented this particular attack? I didn't - that's you assuming. I said that BSL didn't PREVENT this attack from happening, which is what it designed and supposed to do.

Proven models of animal management legislation like the Calgary Model may well have prevented this attack. In fact it's actually quite likely it would have seeing as their dog bites have quartered in 20 years (all without BSL).

I notice that you've now changed your tact to 'all large breed owners should be more responsible' rather than just targeting the mythical 50kg Pit Bull owners as you were in the previous thread (still haven't seen your reference for that quote or you admitting you made it up). Now we agree. Anyone with a large breed (or powerful medium breed) dog has a higher level of responsibility because of the potential damage their dog can do. That does not absolve small dog owners from their responsibilities also.

As Pit Bull type dogs are systematically wiped out in Victoria we will start seeing more and more attacks like this from GSD, Rottweilers, Mastiffs etc as the idiots go for a breed that's easier to own. I really hope that the Government is intelligent enough to figure that BSL doesn't work as opposed to adding more breeds to the list, but I don't have much confidence :(

I can't imagine the horror that poor little dog's owner felt. That is exactly how the dog came at mine a few weeks ago and it was terrifying. I was very lucky I was in a very public place and the dog's lead was trailing as a passer-by was able to very quickly grab the dogs lead and prevent any real injury.

Who said repealing BSL would have prevented this particular attack? I didn't - that's you assuming. I said that BSL didn't PREVENT this attack from happening, which is what it designed and supposed to do.

Proven models of animal management legislation like the Calgary Model may well have prevented this attack. In fact it's actually quite likely it would have seeing as their dog bites have quartered in 20 years (all without BSL).

I notice that you've now changed your tact to 'all large breed owners should be more responsible' rather than just targeting the mythical 50kg Pit Bull owners as you were in the previous thread (still haven't seen your reference for that quote or you admitting you made it up). Now we agree. Anyone with a large breed (or powerful medium breed) dog has a higher level of responsibility because of the potential damage their dog can do. That does not absolve small dog owners from their responsibilities also.

As Pit Bull type dogs are systematically wiped out in Victoria we will start seeing more and more attacks like this from GSD, Rottweilers, Mastiffs etc as the idiots go for a breed that's easier to own. I really hope that the Government is intelligent enough to figure that BSL doesn't work as opposed to adding more breeds to the list, but I don't have much confidence :(

I can't imagine the horror that poor little dog's owner felt. That is exactly how the dog came at mine a few weeks ago and it was terrifying. I was very lucky I was in a very public place and the dog's lead was trailing as a passer-by was able to very quickly grab the dogs lead and prevent any real injury.

"legislation like the Calgary Model may well have prevented this attack" Who's assuming now?

"I notice that you've now changed your tact to 'all large breed owners should be more responsible'" and I notice that you have still not gone back and read through my posts to find out where I singled out APBT as you keep accusing me of, when you initially accused me of this in the other thread i asked you to show me where i singled out APBT and not large powerful breeds, bull breeds or type. It is you who is focusing on APBT not me, I spoke about the APBT's being bred for "gameness" but other than that I focused no more on them than any of the aforementioned.

So again, a large breed dog has killed a small one. The large breed dog was not a BSL breed, it has not been released whether it was previously kept tethered, whether it is entire, registered, previously aggressive etc etc you know the list, you wheel it out in every BSL debate, so as none of these "FACTS" are known, why would you bring up BSL as you have zero evidence that the Calgary model would have stopped it either, regardless of that though, you saw your opportunity for a party political broadcast and took it, much like you accuse the media of doing every time there is an attack reported involving a "pitbull" or "pitbull type"

Three words

Pot, Kettle, Black!

It is you who keeps spouting on about BSL, Calgary model, any dog can bite blah blah blah, and then fling mud at anyone who does not categorically and unequivocally agree with you.

I have stated from the beginning that some dogs are much better equipped to cause major trauma and death than others and if I owned one of those dogs that represent a higher % of the dog attack fatalities list, I would be very worried, it is you that wants to make it about APBT's, BSL and propensity to bite :banghead:

So please, either dispute my statement "that some dogs are much better equipped to cause major trauma and death than others" (which I think you will find is very "on topic" in this thread) or leave it alone and don't try and twist it to suit your agenda. Then again maybe you're a bit to "game" to walk away? (assuming that my use of the "game" trait in this context fits with your definition, sure you will correct me if it is not)

Then again maybe you're a bit to "game" to walk away? (assuming that my use of the "game" trait in this context fits with your definition, sure you will correct me if it is not)

Love what you did there. Pretend to act like the bigger person and then leave it with a personal jibe. :clap:

"legislation like the Calgary Model may well have prevented this attack" Who's assuming now?

"I notice that you've now changed your tact to 'all large breed owners should be more responsible'" and I notice that you have still not gone back and read through my posts to find out where I singled out APBT as you keep accusing me of, when you initially accused me of this in the other thread i asked you to show me where i singled out APBT and not large powerful breeds, bull breeds or type. It is you who is focusing on APBT not me, I spoke about the APBT's being bred for "gameness" but other than that I focused no more on them than any of the aforementioned.

So again, a large breed dog has killed a small one. The large breed dog was not a BSL breed, it has not been released whether it was previously kept tethered, whether it is entire, registered, previously aggressive etc etc you know the list, you wheel it out in every BSL debate, so as none of these "FACTS" are known, why would you bring up BSL as you have zero evidence that the Calgary model would have stopped it either, regardless of that though, you saw your opportunity for a party political broadcast and took it, much like you accuse the media of doing every time there is an attack reported involving a "pitbull" or "pitbull type"

Three words

Pot, Kettle, Black!

It is you who keeps spouting on about BSL, Calgary model, any dog can bite blah blah blah, and then fling mud at anyone who does not categorically and unequivocally agree with you.

I have stated from the beginning that some dogs are much better equipped to cause major trauma and death than others and if I owned one of those dogs that represent a higher % of the dog attack fatalities list, I would be very worried, it is you that wants to make it about APBT's, BSL and propensity to bite :banghead:

So please, either dispute my statement "that some dogs are much better equipped to cause major trauma and death than others" (which I think you will find is very "on topic" in this thread) or leave it alone and don't try and twist it to suit your agenda. Then again maybe you're a bit to "game" to walk away? (assuming that my use of the "game" trait in this context fits with your definition, sure you will correct me if it is not)

If you can't see the (very clear, very obvious) logic in my posts, then discussing with you further is a lost cause. You seem to have some sort of vendetta as you've just recently cropped up in these topics with lots of fury and rage and an inability to see otherwise. Has something recently happened to you to cause this? Your posts seem to have the emotional and hysterical feel of someone who has recently had a negative experience with a particular type of dog.

You don't seem to understand what the Calgary model involves. It makes it very, very hard to be an irresponsible dog owner, and clearly this attack was caused by irresponsible dog ownership (loose dog), therefore there is every chance that something like the Calgary Model being in place may have prevented the attack.

I agreed with you in my last post in this topic but you seem to only read what you want to read. I hope you, as a dog owner also are careful and responsible with your dog that is able to do much more damage than a small dog.

Edited by melzawelza

How utterly devastating for the owners of the little mites...

Have we not turned enough of these threads into a big dog vs little dog thread - why can't we just acknowledge that we all feel very sorry for the owner, the loss of the little mite and the other little one who is injured...

This is a deed, not breed or type thread (but it will probably turn into one like all the others do)...

RIP little one...

I think you will find that the very first post raised the BSL issue (breed) and once again, this was an horrific attack by a larger breed dog on a small one, so it was quite literally big dogs Vs little dog, and once again, little dog lost. So the posts are hardly "off topic" are they?

The original post was turned in to a party political broadcast, so what exactly were people expected to write?????

My point was simply that every one of these threads turns into the same issues...

If people want to start breed bashing (or dog size bashing) thread, by all means do so..

This isn't about that.. It is about a poor woman who has lost her dog under horrific circumstances...

Just my opinion, but it would be nice to see, just once, a thread where people come and leave their condolences without turning it into a sledging match between breeds/sizes..

Then again maybe you're a bit to "game" to walk away? (assuming that my use of the "game" trait in this context fits with your definition, sure you will correct me if it is not)

Love what you did there. Pretend to act like the bigger person and then leave it with a personal jibe. :clap:

Well eventually anyone would get sick and tired of people accusing them of all sorts and dissecting everything they write in an attempt to discredit them. How about we go through every post you've ever written and see if you remain utterly factual and never try and provoke or have a go at some one? People in glass houses (rollseyes)

Three words

Pot, Kettle, Black!

If you can't see the (very clear, very obvious) logic in my posts, then discussing with you further is a lost cause. You seem to have some sort of vendetta as you've just recently cropped up in these topics with lots of fury and rage and an inability to see otherwise. Has something recently happened to you to cause this? Your posts seem to have the emotional and hysterical feel of someone who has recently had a negative experience with a particular type of dog.

You don't seem to understand what the Calgary model involves. It makes it very, very hard to be an irresponsible dog owner, and clearly this attack was caused by irresponsible dog ownership (loose dog), therefore there is every chance that something like the Calgary Model being in place may have prevented the attack.

I agreed with you in my last post in this topic but you seem to only read what you want to read. I hope you, as a dog owner also are careful and responsible with your dog that is able to do much more damage than a small dog.

Oh you do make me laugh,

Fury and rage!

Vendetta!

Emotional and hysterical!

Asking if "something has happened to me"

Nothing there that isn't based in fact is there??????

You agree with my statement about size versus possible danger and yet continue to throw mud???????? But apparently I'm the one with the problem? Pure comedy

Well eventually anyone would get sick and tired of people accusing them of all sorts and dissecting everything they write in an attempt to discredit them. How about we go through every post you've ever written and see if you remain utterly factual and never try and provoke or have a go at some one? People in glass houses (rollseyes)

Difference being, I don't pretend to not be a douche. :)

:coffeesplurk: WOW, boy do I feel put in my place now, how could I possibly hope to hold my own in an intellectual discussion with such a powerhouse as you? Seriously thats what you've got, base insults?

ETA if memory serves someone recently said to me "Pretend to act like the bigger person and then leave it with a personal jibe. :clap: " now, who could that have been????????????

oh thats right, it was you! At the time I thought that it was sarcasm but now I realise it was advice :doh:

Edited by Luke GSP

Meanwhile... back on topic.

Can I just point out that BSL was NEVER aimed at reducing dog aggressive dogs. It was about lowering the incidence of dog attacks on people.

Not that it ever worked ...

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Have we not turned enough of these threads into a big dog vs little dog thread - why can't we just acknowledge that we all feel very sorry for the owner, the loss of the little mite and the other little one who is injured...

This is a deed, not breed or type thread (but it will probably turn into one like all the others do)...

RIP little one...

I think you will find that the very first post raised the BSL issue (breed) and once again, this was an horrific attack by a larger breed dog on a small one, so it was quite literally big dogs Vs little dog, and once again, little dog lost. So the posts are hardly "off topic" are they?

The original post was turned in to a party political broadcast, so what exactly were people expected to write?????

My point was simply that every one of these threads turns into the same issues...

If people want to start breed bashing (or dog size bashing) thread, by all means do so..

This isn't about that.. It is about a poor woman who has lost her dog under horrific circumstances...

Just my opinion, but it would be nice to see, just once, a thread where people come and leave their condolences without turning it into a sledging match between breeds/sizes..

I don't disagree, but some people cannot miss an opportunity to push their personal agenda, maybe a good start would be if the thread had not been titled

"Dog Attack Caught On Camera, How's that BSL working for you Victoria?"

Doesn't look to me like the OP was aiming for a thread where people could leave their condolences.

RIP little one...

I don't disagree, but some people cannot miss an opportunity to push their personal agenda, maybe a good start would be if the thread had not been titled

Doesn't look to me like the OP was aiming for a thread where people could leave their condolences.

FFS, again I wasn't having a go... It is just my opinion...

I never quoted anyone, to have a go.. I never mentioned the OP or BSL...

All I was commenting on was now horrible the event was and how these threads always go the same way...

It was just a personal observation that these threads always end up with the same crap in them..

I SUGGESTED it might be nice to see a thread about one of these disasters where people just leave their condolences without it turning I to a crap fight...

As someone who is elderly and who owns two smaller dogs (10-12 kgs) I cannot watch that video. I know I would be too terrified to ever walk my dogs again. I once owned big dogs (30 kgs) and I love big dogs but I acknowledge that I am now too old to be able to manage one if a difficult situation arose, so like many other small dog owners I made a responsible decision. Big dog owners need to accept that they have an extra responsibility to keep people and smaller dogs safe because their dogs can do more damage. I want to be able to walk my dogs and feel safe. Is that too much to ask?

My dogs are trained and walked on a leash.

:thumbsup:

RIP little one...

You really can't help yourself can you? I can title the thread whatever I would like to thanks, seeing as I started it.

My comment on BSL was entirely relevant to the thread, as it genuinely upsets me that these attacks continue to happen while governments ignore proven science driven animal management techniques that drastically reduce dog attacks on people and other dogs.

This poor woman lost her dog. That is completely unacceptable and rather than blame the dogs breed or size and go on and on constantly about the size/power of the dog I think it's very important to recognise that more pro-active (rather than simply reactionary) animal management techniques, education programmes and incentives are needed because these attacks continue to happen time and time again. There is a model that works. The fact that our Government ignore it in favour of models that are proven not to work is criminal.

RIP little one...

FFS, again I wasn't having a go... It is just my opinion...

I never quoted anyone, to have a go.. I never mentioned the OP or BSL...

All I was commenting on was now horrible the event was and how these threads always go the same way...

It was just a personal observation that these threads always end up with the same crap in them..

I SUGGESTED it might be nice to see a thread about one of these disasters where people just leave their condolences without it turning I to a crap fight...

And I agreed with you.