Dog Attack Caught On Camera

melzawelza

How utterly devastating for the owners of the little mites...

Have we not turned enough of these threads into a big dog vs little dog thread - why can't we just acknowledge that we all feel very sorry for the owner, the loss of the little mite and the other little one who is injured...

This is a deed, not breed or type thread (but it will probably turn into one like all the others do)...

RIP little one...

I think you will find that the very first post raised the BSL issue (breed) and once again, this was an horrific attack by a larger breed dog on a small one, so it was quite literally big dogs Vs little dog, and once again, little dog lost. So the posts are hardly "off topic" are they?

The original post was turned in to a party political broadcast, so what exactly were people expected to write?????

My point was simply that every one of these threads turns into the same issues...

If people want to start breed bashing (or dog size bashing) thread, by all means do so..

This isn't about that.. It is about a poor woman who has lost her dog under horrific circumstances...

Just my opinion, but it would be nice to see, just once, a thread where people come and leave their condolences without turning it into a sledging match between breeds/sizes..

I don't disagree, but some people cannot miss an opportunity to push their personal agenda, maybe a good start would be if the thread had not been titled

"Dog Attack Caught On Camera, How's that BSL working for you Victoria?"

Doesn't look to me like the OP was aiming for a thread where people could leave their condolences.

You really can't help yourself can you? I can title the thread whatever I would like to thanks, seeing as I started it.

My comment on BSL was entirely relevant to the thread, as it genuinely upsets me that these attacks continue to happen while governments ignore proven science driven animal management techniques that drastically reduce dog attacks on people and other dogs.

This poor woman lost her dog. That is completely unacceptable and rather than blame the dogs breed or size and go on and on constantly about the size/power of the dog I think it's very important to recognise that more pro-active (rather than simply reactionary) animal management techniques, education programmes and incentives are needed because these attacks continue to happen time and time again. There is a model that works. The fact that our Government ignore it in favour of models that are proven not to work is criminal.

Who said you couldn't call it what you like? :confused: I was answering staffyluv who asked

"My point was simply that every one of these threads turns into the same issues...

If people want to start breed bashing (or dog size bashing) thread, by all means do so..

This isn't about that.. It is about a poor woman who has lost her dog under horrific circumstances...

Just my opinion, but it would be nice to see, just once, a thread where people come and leave their condolences without turning it into a sledging match between breeds/sizes.."

I just pointed out that, from the original title, I would have thought it obvious that the thread was not intended to be about the woman or dog, as you rightly pointed out, you started the thread and hence you chose that it would be focused on BSL rather than the plight of the victims, that was your choice to make and obviously you felt that making your point about BSL took priority.

ETA You might want to discuss it with Haredown Whippets (post 35) though as it would appear that you seem to have a difference of opinion as to whether BSL was even meant to address such an attack?

Edited by Luke GSP

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we not turned enough of these threads into a big dog vs little dog thread - why can't we just acknowledge that we all feel very sorry for the owner, the loss of the little mite and the other little one who is injured...

This is a deed, not breed or type thread (but it will probably turn into one like all the others do)...

RIP little one...

I think you will find that the very first post raised the BSL issue (breed) and once again, this was an horrific attack by a larger breed dog on a small one, so it was quite literally big dogs Vs little dog, and once again, little dog lost. So the posts are hardly "off topic" are they?

The original post was turned in to a party political broadcast, so what exactly were people expected to write?????

My point was simply that every one of these threads turns into the same issues...

Just my opinion, but it would be nice to see, just once, a thread where people come and leave their condolences without turning it into a sledging match between breeds/sizes..

I don't disagree, but some people cannot miss an opportunity to push their personal agenda, maybe a good start would be if the thread had not been titled

Doesn't look to me like the OP was aiming for a thread where people could leave their condolences.

You really can't help yourself can you? I can title the thread whatever I would like to thanks, seeing as I started it.

My comment on BSL was entirely relevant to the thread, as it genuinely upsets me that these attacks continue to happen while governments ignore proven science driven animal management techniques that drastically reduce dog attacks on people and other dogs.

This poor woman lost her dog. That is completely unacceptable and rather than blame the dogs breed or size and go on and on constantly about the size/power of the dog I think it's very important to recognise that more pro-active (rather than simply reactionary) animal management techniques, education programmes and incentives are needed because these attacks continue to happen time and time again. There is a model that works. The fact that our Government ignore it in favour of models that are proven not to work is criminal.

Who said you couldn't call it what you like? :confused: I was answering staffyluv who asked

"My point was simply that every one of these threads turns into the same issues...

Just my opinion, but it would be nice to see, just once, a thread where people come and leave their condolences without turning it into a sledging match between breeds/sizes.."

I just pointed out that, from the original title, I would have thought it obvious that the thread was not intended to be about the woman or dog, as you rightly pointed out, you started the thread and hence you chose that it would be focused on BSL rather than the plight of the victims, that was your choice to make and obviously you felt that making your point about BSL took priority.

You would have also noticed then that my post began with condolences to the victim and an expression of disgust at what had happened, and that I've mentioned that a few times throughout the thread now. It's become very clear to me that you read what you want to read.

RIP little one...

You would have also noticed then that my post began with condolences to the victim and an expression of disgust at what had happened, and that I've mentioned that a few times throughout the thread now. It's become very clear to me that you read what you want to read.

And he wouldn't be the only one would he? Calling Plan B - I'm posting .... :laugh: Soooooooooooo nasty, every one.

Edited by dogmad

RIP little one...

And he wouldn't be the only one would he? Calling Plan B - I'm posting .... :laugh: Soooooooooooo nasty, every one.

What a valuable contribution to the thread, thank you.

RIP little one...

But you chose to title the thread "Dog Attack Caught On Camera, How's that BSL working for you Victoria?" which I think you will find is supposed to be the topic of the thread (the focus of the conversation)? :confused: I am not disputing that you have "mentioned" it a few times, but you chose that BSL needed to be the focus/topic of the thread, so please don't try to make this about me reading what I want to read, I read the topic and replied accordingly.

You started the thread

You titled the thread and decided the topic

You decided that the thread topic should be focused on BSL's failings in regard to this attack

Your decisions

OWN THEM!

Bye Then :wave:

RIP little dog :rainbowbridge: Healing thoughts to the lady and her remaining companion :hug:

Hopefully next time this happens to one of your fellow canines (as sadly it will). People will choose to honour your memory rather than as a tool to push their own agenda!

:cry: :cry: :cry: How I hate to see these attacks happen, these poor owners, the way the dog shoot straight towards them and just began laying into the little guys... that people continue to raise dogs like this, REALLY makes me angry.

Agreed, BSL is NOT working, and WHEN will the government realize they have to stop blaming breeds and blame OWNERS. I too would be angry the owner has not been named, though hopefully they will be charged.

The only problem with BSL is that a "law" is not going to come charging in and stop a dog from attacking.

A dog regardless of size, gender, weight, age, breed, colour etc can attack at any time whether or not a BSL has been put in place.

It is such a horrible thing to have happened to this woman and her dogs. RIP little woofa; sorry your life ended so tragically. :(

Meanwhile... back on topic.

Can I just point out that BSL was NEVER aimed at reducing dog aggressive dogs. It was about lowering the incidence of dog attacks on people.

Not that it ever worked ...

Hmm I was told at a UAM conference, by someone who should have known, that it was introduced to negate councils' liability for dog attacks in public places. That made sense to me. It is now used as a political tool.

RIP poor little dog.

All these attacks are about unsocialised/untrained/not well treated dogs/ who are liable to kill other dogs being loose in public.

ACO's should be answering calls about loose dogs, calls about the dog next door which is aggressive and they should be going around the shire, speaking to people, and educating, or removing unsuitable dogs.

The whole situation is completely appalling.

Edited by Jed

PS - and the money Councils are spending defending themselves in court whilst trying to try to kill harmless boofy dogs like Rocket (see his facebook page) and those other dogs they did kill - could be used for worthwhile things such as inspections. A walk around some streets would divulge problem dogs. Answering call outs about loose dogs would help too

The council here employs part timers to go and check on whether dogs are registered - I sincerely hope they are also checking the temperament and containment of the dogs. That is what should be happening.

A dog killed and terrorised a few dogs in an off leash park. Other users of the park t ook photos, took photos of the registration number of the car which brought the dog. Provided council with information on THREE occasions; Nothing was done.

(*sigh*

Edited by Jed

A dog killed and terrorised a few dogs in an off leash park. Other users of the park t ook photos, took photos of the registration number of the car which brought the dog. Provided council with information on THREE occasions; Nothing was done.

(*sigh*

That is TERRIBLE Jed. :mad I wold advise them you're taking the pictures and evidence to the local news media and see if that gets a response.

How utterly awful :( The poor owners and their dog.

More evidence as to the failure of BSL to protect the community.

How dreadful, but I don't see what BSL has to do with this?

Poor lady, and RIP little doggy :(

It has everything to do with it. BSL is supposed to protect the community from dog attacks. Victoria has the strongest and most draconian BSL in the country, with hundreds of dogs being seized and killed because of their appearance within the state. Yet horrible, horrible attacks continue to occur. This is a perfect example of how BSL targets dogs that may never be an issue, and misses dogs that are.

BSL is designed to eliminate fighting breeds that can potentially cause harm to people.........I don't think the GSD here bit any people here did he?

Edited by m-sass

It has everything to do with it. BSL is supposed to protect the community from dog attacks. Victoria has the strongest and most draconian BSL in the country, with hundreds of dogs being seized and killed because of their appearance within the state. Yet horrible, horrible attacks continue to occur. This is a perfect example of how BSL targets dogs that may never be an issue, and misses dogs that are.

BSL is designed to eliminate fighting breeds that can potentially cause harm to people.........I don't think the GSD here bit any people here did he?

Did you watch the video?

They clearly say the dog was attacking all 3 of them.. That she was trying to fight off the dog...

This forum for dog lovers appears to be full of dog haters from what I can see.

I hope they go and figure out where that dog came from and how it came to be loose, first and foremost. Then I hope they punish whoever is responsible for it being loose by throwing the book at them. Publicly naming and shaming them would also be a good step in my opinion, so that the neighbours can report them when and if they get a new dog to replace this one.

I believe targeting this particular owner will be more likely to prevent future incidents than all the BSL and dog targeting would. This OWNER now has a history. Somebody needs to start managing them and their pet ownership!

Edited by BlackJaq

Did you watch the video?

They clearly say the dog was attacking all 3 of them.. That she was trying to fight off the dog...

Yep, the woman was being attacked too.

Edited by Aussie3