Sneaking Out The Gate...

Chris the Rebel Wolf

So the last two days, Maya has been testing my OH by sneaking out the gate when he drives his car through. Partly it is his fault - yesterday when he got home he forgot to close the gate so of course Maya took the opportunity to sneak out. Luckily one of my young neighbors saw her and brought her back right away *whew* (Side note - OH has a patchy memory and has forgotten to close the gate more than once despise my repeated begging and pleading to be more careful. :banghead: If anyone can point me to a forum where I could get him trained, that would be awesome :whip: )

Anyway. Today he didn't forget, she was just already outside the gate when he parked the car and came back to close it. (Not a huge driveway, about... IDK... 15-20 meters? Cannot judge distances...)

So I need to come up with a solution because it's making OH mad at Maya, and obviously, I don't want her going outside the property. I am going to do some training when we are both home and work on her 'wait at the gate' which she practices regularly with me. Not once has she ever tried to sneak out of the gate with me when i drive in or out. I am thinking about getting a ziplock bag of chew treats so OH can hand Maya one when he drives in as she always goes to chew in her favourite spots inside. I also thought of asking him to stop his car just inside the gate and close instead of driving to the carport but I am pretty sure he'll see this as too much trouble and not bother.

ANY other tips appreciated :)

depending on laws in ur area and ur feeling on them , invisible fence at the gate could work, I'd be very worried that ur dog could get out and be hit , alt can u fence the area carport to gate so the dog doesn't go there at all

Edited by Chezy & Chopper

Are you always home before he is? If so can you either keep her inside or put her on a chain for a few minutes before he gets home. I'm assuming you cannot fence your front yard off from the back yard.

What a pity your OH doesn't take it as seriously as you do. :(

That sounds really stressful for you :(

Maybe you could keep an eye out for a cheap automatic gate so it will close quickly after bringing the car through (hopefully with Maya on the right side!)

If hubby doesn't want to stop and give Maya a treat when he enters or leaves, can he throw it into the yard out the window so she runs to look for it and is occupied?

Oh dear, it's time for the rolled up newspaper again. Tell your OH to smack himself in the head with it rather than getting cranky with the pup for taking the opportunity he's creating.

I cannot think of a worse recipe for disaster than a moving car and an unrestrained pup. They need to be separated at all times. The pup 'sneaking out' is the not the worst thing that can happen here.

You need fencing that separates the pup from the driveway OR you need to put the pup in the car and return it to the yard after the car has been moved. Last option would be to tether the pup clear of the driveway while cars are coming and going.

Dogs and moving cars - just too damn dangerous together. You really don't want to be responsible for killing your own dog and believe me, it does happen. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Oh dear, it's time for the rolled up newspaper again. Tell your OH to smack himself in the head with it rather than getting cranky with the pup for taking the opportunity he's creating.

I cannot think of a worse recipe for disaster than a moving car and an unrestrained pup. They need to be separated at all times. The pup 'sneaking out' is the not the worst thing that can happen here.

You need fencing that separates the pup from the driveway OR you need to put the pup in the car and return it to the yard after the car has been moved. Last option would be to tether the pup clear of the driveway while cars are coming and going.

Dogs and moving cars - just too damn dangerous together. You really don't want to be responsible for killing your own dog and believe me, it does happen. :(

:thumbsup:

perhaps Maya needs a secure pen to be in unless everyone's home , and there are no cars?

She is learning a habit which may kill her ... and physical prevention is the only sure thing.

(imagine a two year old child in the same situation .... )

Can't he come inside first, put Maya in a crate/pen/room and close the door, then come in, lock the gates behind him (I assume they get locked so no one can just let her out) and then let her out? I wouldn't have OH give her a treat because she might anticipate it and run in front of the car to get it.

Sounds laborious but it really is the only option. Pup could get run over or get on the loose.

She's a LGD breed no? What might happen when she matures and someone walks past as the gate is still open?

He is home before me 90% of the time so this is the main problem - Maya never tries this with me as I have trained her to keep back from my car when it is moving. She stands with Zeke, behind the gate, when I drive in. Clearly she is using OH's poor memory to her advantage.

Fencing off not an option, he won't have a fence running through the yard. Bringing her inside is not an option, he will not go to the trouble. He probably would tie her so I will keep that in mind but I would rather train her to respect the gate/OH... restraint is not going to prevent the urge she has to sneak out when his back is turned.

I think a chew may be the best option if I give him a bag to keep in his car. She can't run in front of his car waiting for the treat because he drives up outside the gate and stops, in theory could hand the treat then before he opens the gate to drive in, and she could go to one of her chew spots.

Will sit down with him and try to talk about this again and see what he is willing to do.

:(

He is home before me 90% of the time so this is the main problem - Maya never tries this with me as I have trained her to keep back from my car when it is moving. She stands with Zeke, behind the gate, when I drive in. Clearly she is using OH's poor memory to her advantage.

Fencing off not an option, he won't have a fence running through the yard. Bringing her inside is not an option, he will not go to the trouble. He probably would tie her so I will keep that in mind but I would rather train her to respect the gate/OH... restraint is not going to prevent the urge she has to sneak out when his back is turned.

I think a chew may be the best option if I give him a bag to keep in his car. She can't run in front of his car waiting for the treat because he drives up outside the gate and stops, in theory could hand the treat then before he opens the gate to drive in, and she could go to one of her chew spots.

Will sit down with him and try to talk about this again and see what he is willing to do.

No the dog is not using OH's poor memory as an advantage. You are attributing cunning to your dog that doesn't exist. Your OH is risking your dog's life. Surely any adult of normal intelligence is capable of restraining the dog so it doesn't get hit by a car, possibly your OH's car. If he will not go to the trouble of putting the dog inside or putting up a barrier gate/fence then he doesn't value the life of your dog.

It is the responsibility of both of you to ensure the dog never has access to an open gate. There is no valid excuse for neglecting this. Even the best behaved dog is at risk of running though an open gate if the opportunity is available. It only has to happen once at the wrong time.

As was suggested, if necessary put in an electric fence. Both of you need to be more responsible. How would you feel if the dog was run over simply because neither of you took precautions to prevent it. You list the things the OH won't do to keep the dog safe. What is he prepared to do?

I would be laying down the law rather than sitting down to have a quiet chat about what he's willing to do. So far it appears he's not willing to do anything. If this was my dog the terms would be non negotiable. Either a barrier is put up to prevent the dog from getting out...or else.

No the dog is not using OH's poor memory as an advantage. You are attributing cunning to your dog that doesn't exist. Your OH is risking your dog's life. Surely any adult of normal intelligence is capable of restraining the dog so it doesn't get hit by a car, possibly your OH's car. If he will not go to the trouble of putting the dog inside or putting up a barrier gate/fence then he doesn't value the life of your dog.

It is the responsibility of both of you to ensure the dog never has access to an open gate. There is no valid excuse for neglecting this. Even the best behaved dog is at risk of running though an open gate if the opportunity is available. It only has to happen once at the wrong time.

X1

Edited by persephone

X1

X2

I do not buy the fact that the OH has a bad memory, he is simply irresponsible and lazy and does not deserve to have a dog. :mad Dogs should never be loose near moving vehicles. I know lots of people do it and lots of people also run over their own dogs, no matter how well they are trained. The danger is simply too great.

The simplest solution would be a tie up point near the gate where the dog can be secured as the car drives through and released when the gate is closed. There is simply no excuse for ever leaving a gate open if you have dogs. You may have to choose between having dogs or the OH if he doesn't lift his game.

None of this is the dog's fault. She is simply being a dog and doing what dogs do.

*sigh* Really not interested in going over this again; I will not be able to convince OH to fence off half the yard. I personally do not feel an electric fence is necessary if I can train her otherwise. I could say to him 'shape up or we're leaving' as some people seem to feel I should, but in this household, we discuss issues, like rational adults, and we don't threaten.

It is looking like a tie by the gate will be the chosen option. Thanks to those who have offered advice.

With all the rescues coming and going I have a few that dig or jump fences and will meet me at the front of the acreage as I arrive home. I've taken to keeping a bit of kibble in the car so I can throw it a short distance from the gate which gives me time to drive through whilst they are hoovering in the grass.

With all the rescues coming and going I have a few that dig or jump fences and will meet me at the front of the acreage as I arrive home. I've taken to keeping a bit of kibble in the car so I can throw it a short distance from the gate which gives me time to drive through whilst they are hoovering in the grass.

We keep a small container of kibble in our cars and a leash on the gate post for my lab who will escape if given the chance.

We stop the car, call her, she sits for her biscuit, the lead is put on and she is hooked to the gate post.

We then drive in, walk back to the gate, tell her she is a good girl, give her another biscuit and let her off after closing the gate.

This works well for us.

We had a dog that would always sit on the grass beside the driveway, wait for the garage door to be opened and the car was parked inside and the engine shut off ... until one day he ran into the garage the same moment that the car was moving forward. He died in my arms.

Please do not rely on training ... one day it may just fail with terrible consequences.

I do not buy the fact that the OH has a bad memory, he is simply irresponsible and lazy and does not deserve to have a dog. :mad Dogs should never be loose near moving vehicles. I know lots of people do it and lots of people also run over their own dogs, no matter how well they are trained. The danger is simply too great.

The simplest solution would be a tie up point near the gate where the dog can be secured as the car drives through and released when the gate is closed. There is simply no excuse for ever leaving a gate open if you have dogs. You may have to choose between having dogs or the OH if he doesn't lift his game.

None of this is the dog's fault. She is simply being a dog and doing what dogs do.

I agree absolutely. Is the OH prepared to get out of the car to tie the dog up before he drives through. He may consider it to be an unnecessary inconvenience.

Rational adults do not put the life of their dog at risk the way the pair of you are doing. This 'rational discussion' should have taken place the first time the OH was too lazy to secure the dog before driving in. I'm surprised that keeping the dog safe has become an issue that needs serious discussion, to me it would be a priority.