Workshop For Bull Breed Owners.

Just found this & thought I'd pop the info in here in case anyone is interested. We will be there.

Bully dog needs are a little different in some ways to other dogs, and certainly public perception of our dogs is hugely different, so it's nice to see a workshop designed especially for us.

http://caninediem.eventbrite.com/

Join international canine training and dog behaviour expert Glenn Cooke for a one-day workshop, using balanced training methods, designed specifically for bull breed owners.

The workshop will cover the following topics:

Public perception and the media

Owner responsibilities

Canine psychology

Stimuli, what it is and how to control it

Social importance

Top 5 canine related issues

Practical workshop

Proceeds go to:

http://www.facebook.com/fetchingdogs

thumbsup1.gifThat would be great for people who are thinking about getting a bull breed for the first time too :)

I have always had this dream (that will never happen) that if anyone wants to own any dog (or cat or baby etc etc) they would have to go to a workshop like this one! Kinda like how you have to have licences for reptiles or some birds.

A girl can dream.

Hey Ruth. :D

Yeah I put it up here as soon as I found out about it.

Looking forward to seeing you!

thumbsup1.gifThat would be great for people who are thinking about getting a bull breed for the first time too :)

That's a great idea! You don't have to have a dog to attend.

You could always borrow one of Ruthless' Bullys. XD

• 2 weeks later...

If they want a truly unpleasant day!

Just over a week left to go and there are still a handful of spaces left. Some non bull breed owners are welcome to attend also.

Thanks to Happy Paws Training Treats all attendees will be receiving a pack of their yummy dog treats!

• 2 weeks later...

How did the workshop go today guys?

I don't have bull breeds myself, but I know plenty that do, and plenty that could probably use a little help.

If today was successful it would be great if you could do this in rural areas :) I stand by what I said earlier, this would be amazing for someone who wants a bull breed. I see too many here that people buy because they think they are vicious, and many more that are not given the attention they need. Education can do a world of good.

If they want a truly unpleasant day!

No way! Trix & No Angel are awesome dogs. They would have an excellent day with them.

How did the workshop go today guys?

I don't have bull breeds myself, but I know plenty that do, and plenty that could probably use a little help.

If today was successful it would be great if you could do this in rural areas :) I stand by what I said earlier, this would be amazing for someone who wants a bull breed. I see too many here that people buy because they think they are vicious, and many more that are not given the attention they need. Education can do a world of good.

It was awesome. 20 little fat head dogs, much waggling and slobbering all round. If the general public could only see what 20 Bullies milling round together is really like - all huge grins and full body waggles - it'd knock away a lot of their erroneous preconceptions. XD

It would be a great thing for all bull breed owners to attend, but this was organised as a charity event for a rescue group, so I'm not sure if it'd be a regular thing. Although given that there were 20 attendees, it would seem there's definitely enough interest to run something similar again.

If the Govt really wants to single out Bull breeds (and ofc it does, it's bad policy but great politics with respect to voter approval) they would be better to make the restrictions centered on obtaining a license to own the dogs pursuant to an educational program which could include a seminar like that. If they did away with the ridiculous stuff about muzzles, no selling pups & dogs etc, in favour of licenses issued after attending an educational program, they'd get far better compliance in terms of Pit Bull types being registered and responsibly cared for. As well as a bunch of other benefits like organised registered breeding programs that account for proper temperament, good health etc rather than the very hit and miss BYB efforts Bully breed fanciers mostly have to rely on for dogs right now.

O hey Glenn, :wave:

Thanks for all your help, as you can see from my other thread: here you solved a problem that's been annoying me for ages (ofc entirely my fault it happened) so a huge thank you again, for helping me so much with "out", and for such a great day!

I am on crutches after that fall, my ankle looks like there's a grapefruit under the skin, so I learnt a good non-dog related lesson on Sunday there too - heed warnings about lumpy ground areas and tie up shoelaces when running around on said bit of uneven ground. I am such a dufus sometimes. XD

Anyway, thanks again, Glenn, Ruth & Mel it was a fantastic day, if you hold similar ones in future, we will definitely attend.