Greyhound Racings Dirty Little Secret Exposed

Greyt

Brent Hogan, CEO of Greyhound Racing NSW finally puts a figure to the annual slaughter of the beautiful dogs. He says on Radio Nationals Background Briefing that 3000 dogs are put down annually in NSW.

Given that there are around 7500 bred each year in NSW, this equates to fully 40% of these dogs being put down.

For all we write on here (and rightfully so) decrying the laws and practices of puppy farms and bybs and selling pets in pet shops etc, in my view, this systemic slaughter makes all the rest look almost angelic.

40% for crying out loud. And does anybody here not think Mr Hogan is quoting the low end of the range?

You can catch the Background Briefing show on Radio National tomorrow at 8.05 am and on ABC News Radio at 1.05pm. If you miss both, they will probably have a podcast. Here Is The Link To the Webpage

I have heard Mr Hogan on radio before vehemently arguing against the numbers put forward by a rescue group without telling us what the real numbers are.

Well now he exposes his dirty little secret.

Hopefully, there will be more people willing to:

• Adopt a Greyhound
  • Foster a Greyhound
  • Become involved in a Greyhound Rescue Group
  • Donate to a Greyhound Rescue Group
  • Recommed Greyhounds to as suitable pets to friends
  • Write to their local MP

Seeing Beautiful Greys not being needlessly slaughtered is a process and it is going to take a long time, but for me, this Sunday will be a Greyt Day for the Greys!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Given that there are around 7500 bred each year in NSW, this equates to fully 40% of these dogs being put down"

That logic isn't quite correct. If there are 7500 greyhound pups born in NSW each year, then the total greyhound population in that state would be around 20,000.

It is semantics. If the entire racing population is 20,000, it is only because the "survivors" get older and are allowed to continue their careers. Nonetheless, 7500 bred annually, 3000 PTS as excess to requirements. I am happy with my math.

We can argue figure's allday, but we all know the huge amount that die. :(

It will never be banned due to the huge income from betting.

They need to allow dogs to race for longer, age's perhaps? speed?

They also need to start educating the public on how good they are as pets.

I'd be surprised if that figure included any greys dumped at pounds. Only a small percentage of them make it out alive, in spite of the efforts of wonderful rescue groups.

I saw what looked like a reasonable suggestion the other day: having owners charged a compulsary one-off 'retirement fund' fee in order to register a dog for racing. That money then goes to the industry-affiliated rehoming organisation to pay for the dog's rehoming (if suitable) once the race career is over. The idea still has holes in it, but it's worth thinking about and refining.

There is no easy fix for this. Racing won't be shut down overnight, and god help the greyhounds if it was. I actually don't have a problem with the racing itself, knowing how much my greys live and breathe running, but the gambling, money-making aspect that leads some people to view the dogs as disposeable does need to change.

On an even sadder note :cry: many are sold off because that means more $$$ for the owner overseas to Asian countries where some (very few) make it into backstreet type dog racing, however I will let your imagination take over with what happens to most of them and lets just say the bigger the dog the more profit that can be made in the gourmet department :mad

And Australians are up in arms over live export of stock animals conditions (cattle and sheep etc)but every month hundreds of DOGS and CATS are exported worldwide from Australia and the biggest importer is the Asian countries, would be very interesting to see what happens to all of these domestic animals. I do know that there are many many legitimate breed clubs in these countries, but NOT ALL the exported DOGS go to reputable homes. I know this will open a pandora's box but not every breeder can ensure that the person they make contact with to send their dogs too is really who they are. I know because I have association with someone that works in one of these countries who deals with illegal racketeering in trade of various commodities (including animals, big market for exotic pets, reptiles etc).

Like everything in this world it is all about the almighty Dollar and profit margins, supply and demand etc. :(

Edited by zeebie

On an even sadder note :cry: many are sold off because that means more $$$ for the owner overseas to Asian countries where some (very few) make it into backstreet type dog racing, however I will let your imagination take over with what happens to most of them and lets just say the bigger the dog the more profit that can be made in the gourmet department :mad

And Australians are up in arms over live export of stock animals conditions (cattle and sheep etc)but every week hundreds of DOGS and CATS are exported worldwide from Australia and the biggest importer is the Asian countries, would be very interesting to see what happens to all of these domestic animals. I do know that there are many many legitimate breed clubs in these countries, but NOT ALL the exported DOGS go to reputable homes. I know this will open a pandora's box but not every breeder can ensure that the person they make contact with to send their dogs too is really who they are. I know because I have association with someone that works in one of these countries who deals with illegal racketeering in trade of various commodities (including animals, big market for exotic pets, reptiles etc).

Like everything in this world it is all about the almighty Dollar and profit margins, supply and demand etc. :(

Oh god those poor sweethearts :( After seeing what they do to GSDs for the fur market over there i don't even want to imagine :(:mad:

I think greyhounds would make awesome pets as therapy candidates.....

There was a segment about TV's Dr Harry where he went to visit a retirement place for elderly nuns in Brisbane. Their live-in therapy dog was a lovely greyhound. A grey was chosen because of the breed's gentle nature, easy care coat... & the height so the nuns could pat him easily from their chairs and beds.

By the way, greys also make wonderful neighbours. Good greys in the hands of a good owner are the most peaceful and affectionate dogs to have living next door. We're lucky!

They make awesome pets. Just ask Stansmum & alike on DOL that have rescued these beautiful dogs :thumbsup:

:) Yes they do BC Crazy. I don't have a problem with the racing itself either, they do love it. I am against the overbreeding of greyhounds. As I have said many times no-one will stop the racing industry, whether it be greyhounds or horse racing. You only have to look at photos of the Melbourne Cup in the early 30's in the depression, people couldn't afford to eat yet they still flocked in their thousands to the races. Longclaw has a possible "solution" to the problem as did Hardy's Angel in another thread in the news section. For me it's stop wasting valuable time, effort and breath trying to stop racing...it aint gunna happen...ever. Let's try and regulate the overbreeding of all animals in the racing industry.

It's certainly no " dirty little secret"

Well.. no. It's been public knowledge for a very long time. Stories like this come up once or twice every year, people get upset and then they get on with their lives.

What does irk me though is people exaggerating figures. If you have to estimate anything, it's always best to be very conservative- that way, if correct figures are actually released, you don't end up looking dishonest and in the process, discrediting those of us who research carefully and don't engage in hyperbole for the sake of a more dramatic story >.>

They make awesome pets. Just ask Stansmum & alike on DOL that have rescued these beautiful dogs :thumbsup:

:) Yes they do BC Crazy. I don't have a problem with the racing itself either, they do love it. I am against the overbreeding of greyhounds. As I have said many times no-one will stop the racing industry, whether it be greyhounds or horse racing. You only have to look at photos of the Melbourne Cup in the early 30's in the depression, people couldn't afford to eat yet they still flocked in their thousands to the races. Longclaw has a possible "solution" to the problem as did Hardy's Angel in another thread in the news section. For me it's stop wasting valuable time, effort and breath trying to stop racing...it aint gunna happen...ever. Let's try and regulate the overbreeding of all animals in the racing industry.

Greyhound racing is in decline worldwide. See This Article and This Article

In the US, there were 50 tracks a decade ago. There are 25 now and even track owners want to shut down racing in favour of Poker and pokies only at their venues.

New Zealand is also questioning the right for racing to exist with 3 Greyhounds PTS in just 2 track days this week. See Here

With the drug scandals News Story I don't think we will be going back to the 1930's anytime soon.

Especially with emerging Links to Organised Crime and the Victorian Greyhound Integrity Commissioner resigning because his own industry didn't actually support integrity in Greyhound Racing.

More and more people are coming to come to the conclusion that motherhood statements such as, "they do love it" come with a price tag that is too high to pay.... Organised crime, drug use, injuries, mass euthanasia, being caged for up to 20 hours per day... the list is endless

There are lots of fantastic individuals in racing but our society is changing and we have much less tolerance for inhumane practices and industries that do not do well on important big picture issues.

And Australians are up in arms over live export of stock animals conditions (cattle and sheep etc)but every week hundreds of DOGS and CATS are exported worldwide from Australia and the biggest importer is the Asian countries, would be very interesting to see what happens to all of these domestic animals. I do know that there are many many legitimate breed clubs in these countries, but NOT ALL the exported DOGS go to reputable homes. I know this will open a pandora's box but not every breeder can ensure that the person they make contact with to send their dogs too is really who they are. I know because I have association with someone that works in one of these countries who deals with illegal racketeering in trade of various commodities (including animals, big market for exotic pets, reptiles etc).

This is what can happen when a big dog is sent to ... Asia :eek: :

aida7months2.jpg

aida1yearbdays.jpg

This is what can happen when a big dog is sent to ... Asia :eek: :

aida7months2.jpg

aida1yearbdays.jpg

Yeah that's funny.