Sniffer Dogs Unleashed In Fox Fight

Boronia

Carbon monoxide poisoning - perhaps you would like to try it and see if you find it acceptable. Research shows that humans are the most destructive creatures on this planet.

If I got to pick the way I went out, my first choice would be Lethabarb, second would be carbon monoxide poisoning. It's certainly more humane than the way we kill many other animals.

As for the rest.. blah blah blah emotive language blah. If you're not going to argue with facts, you're just clubbing other people with your opinion. You can't be surprised if some people do not enjoy debate of that sort (because it's not actually debate).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is renowned as one of the most successful rebuilding efforts worldwide with an endangered species.

Awesome post, pepe :thumbsup: Well done to the vermin controllers.

As for the comment 'when humans have been eradicated from this earth' by another poster. Wow is that wishful thinking? Bring on the Apocalypse, hey.

It is renowned as one of the most successful rebuilding efforts worldwide with an endangered species.

As for the comment 'when humans have been eradicated from this earth' by another poster. Wow is that wishful thinking? Bring on the Apocalypse, hey.

but who would feed our dogs then Raz? :laugh:

22nd of Dec Razzle... according to the dooms day preppers LOL

LOL. Blame those pesky Mayans for running out of room on their calendar, Pav.

Edited by raz

LOL. Blame those pesky Mayans for running out of room on their calendar, Pav.

I thought it was the 21st? Dammit that throws my schedule out completely!!!!

Carbon monoxide is only painless when at specific levels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning. Animal control units also use carbon monoxide to gas unwanted cats and dogs and when not used correctly causes immense pain to the animals prior to their death.

That link doesn't work but when I looked it up on wiki it didn't say it causes immense pain anywhere. Can you please relink to where it says that?

I thought it was the 21st? Dammit that throws my schedule out completely!!!!

Either way, Xmas Day is cancelled this year, PD. :thumbsup:

Back to the OP, what breed of dogs are used for the vermin control?

I found this Raz--> http://bundaberg.qld.gov.au/news/2012/11/07/combined-effort-protect-regions-turtles

Combined effort to protect regions turtles

7 Nov 2012

Bundaberg Regional Council, Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services (QPWS), Gladstone Ports Corporation Bundaberg (GPC) and Burnett Mary Regional Group (BMRG) have joined together on a project for the fight against foxes along the regions coastlines.

The joint project is aimed at determining locations of fox dens along the coast from Moore Park Beach to the Pasturage Reserve in Bargara.

Environment and Natural Resources Portfolio Spokesperson Cr Danny Rowleson said the innovative approach had been implemented using trained English Springer Spaniels as sniffer dogs to locate the fox dens and hides.

“When the dens are located they are then mapped for future treatment and to assist in further coordination between the relevant organisations,” Cr Rowleson said.

“Locating fox dens is important for protecting our turtles and marine birds as European Red Foxes predate on turtle eggs and hatchlings during the breeding season and can severely reduce the effectiveness of our conservation efforts.”

“This project will provide very useful information to allow Council and QPWS to conduct fox control in a very strategic manner and give our important marine turtle populations a chance to recover.”

“Council is looking forward to working jointly with QPWS, GPC Bundaberg and BMRG to protect one of our region’s most precious resources.”

Guest Wildthing

There are some very extensive lists on Wikipedia giving names of introduced animal species to Australia, including cattle, sheep, horses, donkeys, camels, rabbits, pigs, buffalo, cane toads, red fox, goat, cats, dogs, deer, birds and fish, all of which are now 'feral'. Every one of these species causes destruction of native habitat which results in the decline of native animals and plants. Since settlement by white man some 200 years ago, 70% of the native vegetation has been cleared, with most of that occurring in the last 50 years.

Guest Wildthing

The Wikipedia article very carefully explains what signs and symptoms carbon monoxide poisoning causes in dogs. I would suggest you read it carefully and think about what you are reading and you hopefully will realise what pain and suffering it can cause when not administered in a high enough one off dose to kill an animal.

Yes, the article does says humans cull to manage the feral animal population.In Australia, native animals are also culled because humans believe there are too many of them and they are causing damage to the ecosystem.

There is no easy solution to any of these human made problems mixedupdog, but what I hope you may do in the future is to think about what humans do and why, not just be so anti anyone else who has a different view from yours. That is, keep an open mind. That does come with having been around a long time.

Using 1080 poison to kill is one of the most terrible ways an animal can die. Not only does it kill the targeted species, but others that feed of the carcus. Not acceptable to my way of thinking, regardless of how destructive an animal may be.

Carbon monoxide was used during the Second World War in Nazi concentration camps.

Edited by Wildthing

The Wikipedia article very carefully explains what signs and symptoms carbon monoxide poisoning causes in dogs. I would suggest you read it carefully and think about what you are reading and you hopefully will realise what pain and suffering it can cause when not administered in a high enough one off dose to kill an animal.

Yes, the article does says humans cull to manage the feral animal population.In Australia, native animals are also culled because humans believe there are too many of them and they are causing damage to the ecosystem.

There is no easy solution to any of these human made problems mixedupdog, but what I hope you may do in the future is to think about what humans do and why, not just be so anti anyone else who has a different view from yours. That is, keep an open mind. That does come with having been around a long time.

Using 1080 poison to kill is one of the most terrible ways an animal can die. Not only does it kill the targeted species, but others that feed of the carcus. Not acceptable to my way of thinking, regardless of how destructive an animal may be.

Carbon monoxide was used during the Second World War in Nazi concentration camps.

I call Godwin's Law first!

Ok, let's start at the beginning. Wiki is not a reputable source of scientific information, in fact, I used to tell my students they would fail an assignment for using wiki as a reference. Can you find me a peer reviewed source of information that describes the effect of low levels of CO2 poisoning?

I don't think CO2 was used in the camps either, but I'll not dispute that till I double check.