Sniffer Dogs Unleashed In Fox Fight

Boronia

"Foxes are sneaky vile little critters" what a stupid comment really wats wrong with people. Foxes are actually are a very intelligent adaptable animal no more vile then any other animal in the wild trying to survive. Though they are obviously a problem in australia a ecosystem where they dont belong and i think culling is a neccesary evil and this approach does seem to be the best out there at the moment.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of the posters on this thread need to take their blinkers off. Foxes are not a problem only in Australia.

Foxes (and other feral canids) and in fact other feral carnivores have been a problem worldwide ever since humankind went from being hunter-gatherers to subsistence farmers, which included the domestication and husbandry of livestock. Why do you think foxes were (until recently) hunted in the UK?

For example feral sheep, goats etc as a species survive in spite of foxes, wolves, lynxes etc. It is the domesticated animals that cannot survive.

As for the killing frenzies that feral predators exhibit towards helpless domestic animals, well humans are also quite capable of exhibiting killing frenzies eg massacres undertaken by armies in the middle ages or more recently members of the Lord's Resistance Army in Africa. In addition there are the acts of wanton cruelty towards animals such as the recent case of the alpacas that had their heads bashed in. Pleasure gained from killing is probably a survival mechanism from the era of the lifeforms that eventually became humans and other animals.

Look at sporting hunters. They don't hunt out of a sense of duty but because they get pleasure out of killing an animal.

no points missed here they are carnivores they kill to survive nature isnt all butterflys and roses. i dont agree that humans should just expand where we like and wipe out every animal that poses even the slightest threat to ourselves and our livelyhoods ie agriculture. Trying to demonise a animal for just doing what it does is not helpful. In australia they are not native they pose a real threat to native fauna therefore a humane cull is unfortunatly neccesary. They have as much right to exist in their native habitat as a koala has here in aus.

Edited by staffydave

Look at sporting hunters. They don't hunt out of a sense of duty but because they get pleasure out of killing an animal.

Funny. Every hunter I've met takes pride in their skills, believes in what their doing and won't take a shot that isn't a kill shot. The 'pleasure of killing' is fairly far down the list if it's even there. And I meet a few as we happily have people, gun and bow hunters, out to hunt the rabbits and foxes on our property.

I'm a hunter in training myself and I know my motivation is the safety of my miniature foals and future chooks along with the native wildlife we're trying to attract.

And staffydave I interupted a pair of foxes on their second rampage through my pet rabbit hutches. The first one they didn't even take anything, just riped them apart and left the pieces for me to find. You'll have to forgive me if I and others continue to use such as 'vile' when describing them.

"Foxes are sneaky vile little critters" what a stupid comment really wats wrong with people. Foxes are actually are a very intelligent adaptable animal no more vile then any other animal in the wild trying to survive. Though they are obviously a problem in australia a ecosystem where they dont belong and i think culling is a neccesary evil and this approach does seem to be the best out there at the moment.

So what is the rationale regarding the head eating and leaving the rest routine. Kinda freaky finding a headless rabbit caught in the fence. What a waste of good food if they only kill to survive?

Strange experience here a few weeks ago. I was walking my dog down the back paddock and we came across a dead fox. Definitely dead. Dead as they get, you know? Later I casually mentioned it to my DH, so he went down to check it out. Fox gone??? Yep, in a couple of hours daylight, dead fox totally gone. ?? Not easy for any dog to drag it though our fences, nor would they have a reason to.

So ..... a what happened mystery?

Wings i completly understand why you would be angry and upset but doesnt change the fact that they are no more vile as you put it then any other animal. You telling me as a dog owner you have never witnesed a dog catching a lizard or bird and killing it or maming it then not eating it and maybe even playing with the body are all pet dogs then by your definition vile

My dogs have never had the opportunity, if they did they certainly cleaned up well as I've never found the evidence.

The cats have also been ruthlessly efficient, we don't have mouse/rat issues in the barns and every kill is eaten.

My neighbour however had a lambs tounge ripped out while it was being born. A friend lost all her hens when a fox came in and killed everything, gnawed on the corpses a bit and didn't take a single one with it.

So yes I find the actions that numerous foxes have carried out to be quite vile and as a species I very much dislike them. I feel the species has no place in this country and they cause a lot of damage.

Read my posts i to beieve unfortunatly that a cull is needed they obviously dont belong in australia thats not the point the fact is they are no more vile then amy other animal. As unpleasent as it may be the tongue is a fav for many carnivores I know it seems cruel to us and im sorry that you have had to deal with this but its nature, anyways lets just agree to disagree. Poor old fox not there fault they were brought over here.

Edited by staffydave

Hmmmm, think this can quite aptly describe humans all over the world.

Read my posts i to beieve unfortunatly that a cull is needed they obviously dont belong in australia thats not the point the fact is they are no more vile then amy other animal. As unpleasent as it may be the tongue is a fav for many carnivores I know it seems cruel to us and im sorry that you have had to deal with this but its nature, anyways lets just agree to disagree. Poor old fox not there fault they were brought over here.

Vile

adjective, vil·er, vil·est.

1. wretchedly bad: a vile humor.

2. highly offensive, unpleasant, or objectionable: vile slander.

3. repulsive or disgusting, as to the senses or feelings: a vile odor.

4. morally debased, depraved, or despicable: vile deeds.

5. foul; filthy: vile language.

Use of the word is correct.

Ha ha righto wings that is your prejudice got nothing to do with the nature of the fox. this place is ment to be a animal lovers forum.

In the header it says 'pure breed dog community'. It doesn't say animal lovers forum. Do you love all animals? Rats? Mice? Snakes? Cats? Are you especially fond of crocodiles?

Ha ha righto wings that is your prejudice got nothing to do with the nature of the fox. this place is ment to be a animal lovers forum.

In the header it says 'pure breed dog community'. It doesn't say animal lovers forum. Do you love all animals? Rats? Mice? Snakes? Cats?[ Are you especially fond of crocodiles?

I don't know about StaffyDave, but I do. I assumed dog lovers would be more caring about all animals, maybe I'm just a freak. :laugh:

I've owned all the bolded animals, I would love a pet crocodile, they are brilliant animals.

Edited by mantis

I live on Chapel Street, in St Kilda, Victoria and just the other week we saw a fox dodging a tram, must have been hanging out in the school next door over the holidays, probably a great spot to scavenge. But surely there's much worse ways to go than having to live off scraps from a bin and roadkill or becoming roadkill yourself.

I can definitely get behind this idea, where mum lives, in Williamstown, there's been a run of cats and dogs getting baits/baited rabbits, mice etc. It is just so awful.

There just isn't a way to manage cohabitation. Some things just have to happen, I guess.

I live on Chapel Street, in St Kilda, Victoria and just the other week we saw a fox dodging a tram, must have been hanging out in the school next door over the holidays, probably a great spot to scavenge. But surely there's much worse ways to go than having to live off scraps from a bin and roadkill or becoming roadkill yourself.

I can definitely get behind this idea, where mum lives, in Williamstown, there's been a run of cats and dogs getting baits/baited rabbits, mice etc. It is just so awful.

There just isn't a way to manage cohabitation. Some things just have to happen, I guess.

WTF, I have never heard of foxes in St Kilda, where the hell did it come from? Sorry, but I just can't believe this story.

I really dont dislike any animal to be honest. Why would you dislike croc's doesnt mean i want to give one a cuddle but they are amazing animals, rats and mice same deal. I think many people would be surprised how many foxes live in and around surburbia watched a doco not long ago from great britain on foxes making their lives in the city. They have adapted pritty well to the modern world pritty clever little animal.