Breed For My Mother.

IggiePiggie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a Sheltie would fit the bill. If she doesn't want a puppy, maybe an ex show dog would be a good option.

Shelties are wonderful dogs.

I suggested a sheltie!

My siblings concern is that it will require alot of grooming.

Edited by IggiePiggie

I think a Sheltie would fit the bill. If she doesn't want a puppy, maybe an ex show dog would be a good option.

I suggested a sheltie!

Sheesh!! The things people worry about. One dog - take it to a groomer every few weeks. :laugh:

My cousin bought a dog for her dad's birthday from a reputable breeder. It wasn't a surprise though and the breeder spoke to my aunt a few times before selling a pup. It is all about the telling - the dog is your mums but you're the one just paying for it.

How active is your mum? My aunt and uncle are in their early 70's and got a STD schaunzer puppy - a very active breed. He is walked 3 times a day, goes most places with my aunt and is visited by their 20+ grand kids often - he lives a very charmed life. Early sixties really isn't that old these days.

AHHH, i bungled my intentions in the first post. I am sorry for the ambiguity of it. :/

She is pretty active. A couple of walks a day.

It would be nice to have a dog that could travel with my mum. My dad still works so it would be nice for her.

I suggested a sheltie!

Sheesh!! The things people worry about. One dog - take it to a groomer every few weeks. :laugh:

lol. When you put it like that...

What about instead of that cute little puppy under the tree with ribbon around neck, why not give her gift card with some nice vouchers to purchase her own puppy/dog supplies and one which would be for puppy of her choice, this way she gets to choose, which is really important in the whole bonding process, nothing worse then getting a puppy of any breed that you like but your mum takes one look and while not wanting to say anything doesn't really warm too.

Also she could get involved with Guide dogs or Assistance dogs puppy raising and see how she feels about having the whole "new baby" thing and if she isn't up to it at least with one of these fosters they can go back whereas if you commit to a expensive puppy of breed who is going to have it if things don't work out. If she does manage the foster situation and this dog does not make the grade in training she is eligible to have it back to keep. Often the very fact people are involved in this puppy raising program means they get out and about with other puppy raisers and have a mutual interest etc.

I know our family did same thing and we sort of forgot at the time my mum was a social butterfly so poor puppy was left alone alot and mum ended up getting so stressed with thie "naughty puppy", she also went on trips and each time one of us had to do the puppy sitting. She was only couple years older then your mum and when dog was 4yrs old mum became very ill and the next 2 yrs puppy spent time in exile being passed around to whoever was available, eventually we had to find a home for it, we felt so bad about this decision at the time, but now on reflection our good intentions in buying her this gorgeous dog sort of backfired.

If however you really want to just buy this pup then consider ->

eventual adult size in relation to your mum's height and strength and her mobility (daily walks etc)

cost factor of upkeep for dog and yearly council registration on going for possibly 15years in relation to your mum's finances.

coat type of dog will it need clipping, daily grooming or paid grooming, can she self bath or will dog need paid hydrobathing.

Nail care as older humans start to get fragile skin and puppies love to play bite and can jump and scratch, does your mum have any medical condition that requires blood thinning medication or make her at higher risk of infection, or easier skin lacerations etc

Residential considerations will the dog have plenty of play /exercise area, is there any likelihood your mum may need to move into a smaller dwelling where dog may not be allowed. Is it a barky breed and is it going to drive neighbours crazy therefore distancing your mum socially away from friendly neighbour interaction.

I know you might think that above are silly but they really do make this decision of puppy for christmas very important to consider when looking at the bigger picture.

Edited by zeebie

A sheltie requires brushing and if it is probably easier to get it professionally washed and blow dried as it is such a thick coat but the actual brushing is not difficult.

A poodle would require regular grooming appointments which can be quite expensive depending on your location

I suggested a sheltie!

Ask your Mum - does she want a dog that requires regular grooming or not. Maybe get a list from her of things to consider eg coat length, size and then come back and ask for suggestions of breeds that closely match her preferred criteria?

If she is thinking in terms of an Iggie something like a sheltie with a lot of coat may not be to her liking at all no matter how nice they are :)

You might want to consider what you are going to tell the breeder too. I can pretty much guarantee that most breeders are going to have a fit if you say you want to buy a puppy for your mum for Xmas. Just a warning :)

And I can understand why.

OP, why don't you take your mother to meet some dogs first?

What about instead of that cute little puppy under the tree with ribbon around neck, why not give her gift card with some nice vouchers to purchase her own puppy/dog supplies and one which would be for puppy of her choice, this way she gets to choose, which is really important in the whole bonding process, nothing worse then getting a puppy of any breed that you like but your mum takes one look and while not wanting to say anything doesn't really warm too.

Also she could get involved with Guide dogs or Assistance dogs puppy raising and see how she feels about having the whole "new baby" thing and if she isn't up to it at least with one of these fosters they can go back whereas if you commit to a expensive puppy of breed who is going to have it if things don't work out. If she does manage the foster situation and this dog does not make the grade in training she is eligible to have it back to keep. Often the very fact people are involved in this puppy raising program means they get out and about with other puppy raisers and have a mutual interest etc.

I know our family did same thing and we sort of forgot at the time my mum was a social butterfly so poor puppy was left alone alot and mum ended up getting so stressed with thie "naughty puppy", she also went on trips and each time one of us had to do the puppy sitting. She was only couple years older then your mum and when dog was 4yrs old mum became very ill and the next 2 yrs puppy spent time in exile being passed around to whoever was available, eventually we had to find a home for it, we felt so bad about this decision at the time, but now on reflection our good intentions in buying her this gorgeous dog sort of backfired.

eventual adult size in relation to your mum's height and strength and her mobility (daily walks etc)

cost factor of upkeep for dog and yearly council registration on going for possibly 15years in relation to your mum's finances.

coat type of dog will it need clipping, daily grooming or paid grooming, can she self bath or will dog need paid hydrobathing.

Nail care as older humans start to get fragile skin and puppies love to play bite and can jump and scratch, does your mum have any medical condition that requires blood thinning medication or make her at higher risk of infection, or easier skin lacerations etc

Residential considerations will the dog have plenty of play /exercise area, is there any likelihood your mum may need to move into a smaller dwelling where dog may not be allowed. Is it a barky breed and is it going to drive neighbours crazy therefore distancing your mum socially away from friendly neighbour interaction.

I know you might think that above are silly but they really do make this decision of puppy for christmas very important to consider when looking at the bigger picture.

Again, sorry about this but i don't think i was very clear. I am trying to get a feel of breeds so we can present them to my mother. She is involved in this process.

Re: the considerations. Thankyou for that, they are things I will take on.

Hi,

Last week i saw 2 elderly ladies walking 6 little dogs. Half of them were foster "kids". Some were mixed breeds and absolutely adorable, and there was one that was a Miniture Pinchser (not sure how to spell that one). It was really cute but also seemed a well-behaved and well adjusted dog. A benefit it was small, so as it ages and maybe needs assistance, your Mum (getting older herself) would not have trouble lifting it if necessary. You need to take size into account, as my old mate Zac got arthritis it was hard to help him into the car as he was a large breed.

I had never heard of this Miniture Pinchser breed, and it's amazing what fabulous dogs are avialable at the foster rescue homes. There are lots of websites with profiles of the pups.

I am sure you could not only provide your Mum with a wonderful companion, but save a life if you gave the rescue groups a go. I beleive they also have a "returns" policy if your pup doesn't work out somehow.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I suggested a sheltie!

Ask your Mum - does she want a dog that requires regular grooming or not. Maybe get a list from her of things to consider eg coat length, size and then come back and ask for suggestions of breeds that closely match her preferred criteria?

If she is thinking in terms of an Iggie something like a sheltie with a lot of coat may not be to her liking at all no matter how nice they are :)

I guess my direction has been given in the form of What dogs she has enjoyed and liked that we have discussed.

These dogs have been: Italian Greyhounds, sighthounds in general. Cocker Spaniels. French Bulldogs.

Now that you mention it, most have low maintenance grooming needs.

Another Cocker Spaniel .If she has had one before she will know what to expect.Also look at an American cocker Spaniel ;a bit more grooming though.

A Corgi is a good idea too.Australian Terriers are great little dogs for older people as well.

My elderly in-laws have exactly that - a retired show Sheltie. He is perfect for them and grooming is not an issue - although I don't know the requirements. They also love that all the "showies" recognize him from the ring when he was younger. Just didn't quite grow enough!

A sheltie requires brushing and if it is probably easier to get it professionally washed and blow dried as it is such a thick coat but the actual brushing is not difficult.

A poodle would require regular grooming appointments which can be quite expensive depending on your location

I'm over 60 and have always been ok with grooming but I am now teaching myself to clip as well - due to lack of acceptable grooming outcomes nearby. I'd have to travel quite a distance to take her to a good groomer. It's a hobby I never planned on but am finding very interesting/satisfying. It does help if the dog is smallish.

The point I would like to make is that it is not really a matter of age alone.

Anyone can have medical issues etc. Dog friendly accommodation can be found, although not as easily. If there are back up plans for the dog's care if needed, all the better. Support with it's care can be organised too - in case it is needed.

The lady has just retired. The choice of whether or not to take on a dog has a lot to do with her plans for retirement, the activities and hobbies she wants to pursue etc. A dog - or two - may well be part of that. But then again, they may not fit in with her goals. That is more important than the age aspect IMHO.

Good grief - I know everyone is different but at 63 my mum had just bought a 60 dog-80 cat boarding kennel which she virtually re-built herself and ran for 6 years - I think you may be thinking about someone who is 83 not 63!

Edited by Sandra777

Poodle - if your mum doesn't mind the expense of taking it to a groomer regularly, ie every 6 weeks or so, no hair drop and extremely smart. They love one on one company.

Sounds like you're doing your homework ensuring she gets the best fit for her :thumbsup: well done.