Crating A Puppy

Aso

My breeder's main concern is that I don't over stimulate Vader and NO formal exercise until about 6 months old and even then, only minimal.

:thumbsup:

for that idea .. and it also seems to point toward a nice safe secure run for outdoors ..so he can roll around and play ... with no worries :)

and as a reply to nobull...

none of my pups have ever been crated ..and yes, I got up frequently during the night with them, and a pet piglet , who WAS crated at night .

During the day, when unsupervised they were in a pen with a kennel .. sand to play in, toys and large bones.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw the Ddb is not classified as a giant breed , but large breed , they are not a terrier or herding dogs, they don't need a huge amount of exercise and especially exercising any large/ giant breed is detrimental to their health and development . This is one of the biggest issues that giant/ large breeders face is the over exercised young puppy!!!! They grow quickly and the body and mind shouldn't have to keep up becuse someone said so . All dogs should be socialized from the word go, and crating does not impede in that, what is the difference I ask between a dog crated and a dog confined in a bathroom / laundry during the day when people go to work?

Actually inn my experience I have found crating a puppy from a young age is more beneficial than letting them have a run in the yard all day etc. how many times do you hear of young puppies injuring themselves and MUST be confined ? Surely a well trained crated dog is far more at ease than one who has been put in a bathroom?

Being creative is what it is all about, unfortunately not all of us have the luxury of not working or friends who don't work, or we can't take them to work whatever. It doesn't mean we shouldn't own a dog !! We as breeders/experienced owners of the breed should know better than anyone what works and what doesn't and how they are best bought up. The breeder of this puppy didn't see it as a huge drama.

The degree of movement permitted. One leading sports vet even recommends room rest over crate rest for all dogs recovering from injury because the degree of muscle wastage is considerably reduced. Restricted movement is far better than no movement at all.

There's space in between a crate and a free for all for a pup to develop soundly.

Avo it sounds to me like a move would be best in the longer term. A tiered back yard and a zooming dog is never going to be a great combination.

Aso, i would suggest a run outside too, tiered gardens are a real worry to any pup and you can't supervise all the time.

Nothing the landlord can do about it either.

As far as the neighbours dogs go, report them! what happens if they pop over the fence while you are there with your pup and attack/scare him?

when a neighbour got a new pup she paid me to go in once a day for an hour to play with him, check his water etc, and then feed him, i also took one of my dogs each time for a little play with him.Do you have anyone who could do that for you?

I think the reson you got attacked so harshly was for the first few pages not one person said it was ok to crate for that long, yet you still said you were going to.

glad to see you are taking it all onboard, we are an emotional lot when it comes to our dogs, but there are many here you can learn from . :)

Edited by juice