Importing A Dog From A Category 4 Country

Hounder

I have just come up with a thought.

Yes, we have been informed the we "may" only have to do ten days quarantine this end, but what if the dogs has to do 170 days in the country of export. That means the dog will still be doing 180 days from the time the blood is drawn.

No one has said the time required from the blood drawing has been changed. We have only been informed that the stay this end may be reduced.

Now don't get mad with me it was just a thought. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a 10 day quarantine will only apply to animals that have done the 170 days prior to import.

Animals will only be eligible for a 10 day quarantine if they have completed the 170 days since the RNATT date.

If an animal has only done 100 days since RNATT it will stay for 80 days.

So in effect the whole thing in dollars only saves 20 days of quarantine at $39 per day per dog and $29 per day per cat.

The rest is still the same.

I have just come up with a thought.

Yes, we have been informed the we "may" only have to do ten days quarantine this end, but what if the dogs has to do 170 days in the country of export. That means the dog will still be doing 180 days from the time the blood is drawn.

No one has said the time required from the blood drawing has been changed. We have only been informed that the stay this end may be reduced.

Now don't get mad with me it was just a thought. :)

Yes this is true, but as most people get upset with the import time here in Australia, its better for the dogs in most countries as they can home quarantine, sorry i should have mentioned it, I thought it was clear cut.

Quarantine didnt bother my dogs here, it was the overall time away from exposure that did.

I have often wondered and asked people (not officially) if we did the 180 days in the country of export, why do we still have to do the 30 days here. It does say that the last 30 days "may" be done in Aust. Quarantine. (I think) If it all factors on the 180 days after testing why can't we leave then in that country and not have to pay Quarantine fee's at all ?.

Just asking, no more than that. And by the way I have my dogs Quarantine release papers to prove she did her time. Good heavens it sounds like jail doesn't it. :laugh:

Because current legislation states a MANDATORY min 30 day quarantine from all countries.

The 180 days only applies to Cat 4 countries.

Cat 2 countries have 30 days and no RNATT requirements.

Cat 3 have mandatory 60 days at present.

The 30 days gives AUSTRALIA the opportunity to identify any signs of illness that may not have shown yet. O/S vet services aren't always correct.

There are a number of animals that arrive with health certs from overseas saying no sign of any disease, no external parasites present etc that turn up sick, covered in ticks, (so blood testing for Ehrlichia is then void) and then need retesting.

Some turn up with incorrect blood tests, positive blood results even though the vet O/S has said it meets the permit requirements. These dogs get sent back and have to do the whole thing again.

Some even have incorrect microchip numbers that no pre vet checks have checked correctly so imagine if Australia just believed the o/s export process - disaster

Thanks Guys for the confirmation. A bit of a bummer as having a giant breed, the pup is going to cost a fortune to freight :( I think I will have to go back to the original option of importing semen.

Cheers

If its any comfort ive a friend who spent nearly the 5000 for import in ai and vet bills for eventually the arrival of two pups born, neither being suitable for main rego. was not a happy camper

Because current legislation states a MANDATORY min 30 day quarantine from all countries.

The 30 days gives AUSTRALIA the opportunity to identify any signs of illness that may not have shown yet. O/S vet services aren't always correct.

There are a number of animals that arrive with health certs from overseas saying no sign of any disease, no external parasites present etc that turn up sick, covered in ticks, (so blood testing for Ehrlichia is then void) and then need retesting.

Some turn up with incorrect blood tests, positive blood results even though the vet O/S has said it meets the permit requirements. These dogs get sent back and have to do the whole thing again.

Some even have incorrect microchip numbers that no pre vet checks have checked correctly so imagine if Australia just believed the o/s export process - disaster

disasterso true, look at what happened when EI arrived in Eastern Creek, that didnt stay contained for long

Edited by asal

disasterso true, look at what happened when EI arrived in Eastern Creek, that didnt stay contained for long

Be thankful in a way you dont have a breed that has the dogs you want in Cat 6 Countries ( ie Mexico, SA is another) you cant import dogs from these countries, they have to go to a Cat 4 country first and then the process starts, I notice a lot of UK imports have stopped now with that and a few other eiropean countires being made Cat 4 now. The prices of transport have jumped a mighty way in the last 15 months as well.

Import numbers haven't really changed with animals from UK since the regs changed.

There are still plenty of them each week that arrive in Aus.

There was a slight lag in numbers initially due to the time to wait 150 days but it didn't really change that much.

Its a shame the freight costs have risen.....

Yep, see your point of view. I should have been a little more explicit when said no Quarantine. I should have said all dogs go to quarantine for formal check in then allowed to leave when everything is correct as long as they have done their 180 days. Those that do mot measure up STAY till all clear. (Hey it's never going to happen, but it would be nice for the dogs).

Look don't get me wrong, I am not fully sure I agree with the 10 day stay. Sure it will be cheaper for me should I ever bring in another dog,and all other people bringing in a dog, but I love living in this country without all the diseases of some other countries and we have Quarantine to thank for that.

We all in some way rely on Quarantine and must be guided by their expertise.

Just got home from Quarantine as I have a dog currently in jail.Anyhow talking to the girls and as far as they are aware the 10 day announcement / change is coming in January. I was told by AQIS staff face to face back in October that originally they thought November / December but they believe now January.

Their advise to me was keep checking the web site as it will be updated there before they are even given official notice.

• 2 months later...