Hydro Bath N Grooming Vans

eyeopener

What do you guys think if there was a quality hydro, blow drier n good grooming tools available to use would anyone pay to use them at shows, agility & obediance type gatherings etc. asking as a friend has a good van set up n mainly dose house calls etc but is taking on a 2nd van & expanding her business so looking for new oppurtunities.

I wouldn't think anyone would use it at agility or OB comps - they are there to focus on the competition and if you're running a few times there isn't really time anyway.

It might be used at shows although I assume that most show people have their own stuff and wouldn't want to be bathing the dog then and there.

Yeah I said I really wasn't sure. Another idea she has is to do certain car park of magor store in centre of a few deff towns say 1 town each day of weekend n work so she can visit each town every 4 to 6 wks. She is also going to have a hydro bath where you can do it all yourself set up at side of van under a pergola

I agree not at trials. At shows where people have to travel and camp they may well like to make use of the bath & dryer, though probably have their own tools and products.

I expect show people would want to do it themselves and might be quite particular about residue from other products, thorough disinfection between dogs etc etc. And I don't know what the liability/insurance issues would be with having multiple other, untrained people in the van and using the equipment.

Edited by Simply Grand

Big shows such as nationals and big weekends of shows you may find have the most interest. When I had a van I was contracted a few times toprovide services at some Nationals (did the Cocker National in Canberra one year). The day before the show was the most busy with people who had travelled from interstate using the services. Mostly of the bath. A lot had their own dryers. Note that most would do their own drying and even the bathing would be under their supervision, or they would do it themselves with you overseeing use of the equipment, and with their own products generally. After all they need to be groomed a specific way for a show and it HAS to be EXACTLY the way the owner wants it!!!!

Edited by espinay2

To get use at show weekends, you would have to let them use the equipment, most people are not going to entrust their show dogs to anyone else, even if it is just a bath and blowdry! But if you were happy to do that, then you may get some call for it especially around the big show weekends.

We have had then at National shows for the exhibitors to use themselves. They would probably do well at all breeds shows as well but it would need to be there from very early in the morning with times booked for people to do their own dogs. You also need permission from the show committee to set up.

We have had then at National shows for the exhibitors to use themselves. They would probably do well at all breeds shows as well but it would need to be there from very early in the morning with times booked for people to do their own dogs. You also need permission from the show committee to set up.

And you'd probably have to charge by time use, with a large increase for going over your booked time, otherwise you'd have some people taking forever and others missing out and probably getting very cranky!

Plus different breeds obviously take longer or shorter times, and even within breeds the drying time can vary heaps, depending on the coat so you'd need to make sure people were realistic with their booked times. Oh and if it's humid/damp/raining drying takes even longer again.

Edited by Simply Grand

And you'd probably have to charge by time use, with a large increase for going over your booked time, otherwise you'd have some people taking forever and others missing out and probably getting very cranky!

Plus different breeds obviously take longer or shorter times, and even within breeds the drying time can vary heaps, depending on the coat so you'd need to make sure people were realistic with their booked times. Oh and if it's humid/damp/raining drying takes even longer again.

I wasn't at the second border collie nationals, but certainly at the first everyone that I saw around it was very considerate. It was no cost (if I recall correctly) and there was a booking sheet there. Sometimes someone may have taken a bit longer but it wasn't booked solid so I never saw any issues around it. Mostly people were happy to stand and have a chat while waiting. Or else while the previous person finished their drying and grooming they would give you room to start bathing. It was busiest the day before and very early in the morning. Although some with dogs in the later classes and nothing on early did use it once judging had started.

I know with my friends and I we booked a few time slots in a row and helped each other - 1 bathing and 1 drying then 1 grooming kind of thing so we could minimise the time we were there for. And as soon as we finished with the bath the next person started while we finished off drying etc.

Do you think that would happen at an all-breeds show piper and others? Not being a smart-arse, genuinely wondering. Espinay, how did you find it as an operator? I can't see the benefit to an operator spending a day or two there if there is no charge to users, maybe the club paid a daily rate or something :shrug:

At shows like Spring Fair it could. People who travel from interstate may like to wash the dogs before the show. Even on a camping weekend away, the show was very muddy, the poodle exhibitors went and used the local grooming salon to bath the dogs between shows.

Do you think that would happen at an all-breeds show piper and others? Not being a smart-arse, genuinely wondering. Espinay, how did you find it as an operator? I can't see the benefit to an operator spending a day or two there if there is no charge to users, maybe the club paid a daily rate or something :shrug:

For the BC Nationals the club paid to hire the trailer for the day and paid for power and water on the grounds.

Must admit when I did it it was done more as a service. It was organized by the club, advertised by them, and I charged a nominal fee per dog to exhibitors. It worked well though. We got through quite a few dogs in a short time as everyone was very organised and generally had thei own dryers and tables. So it was mostly a basic bath fee. I washed a lot of them, under strict instruction then handed them off for the rest. We generally put dogs in the bath as quick as we were taking them out! I don't think I was there all day though. I think I did a couple of blocks of a few hours each. The times were advertised with the show info. Couldn't get rich doing it and would definitely not rely on it for income. As an occasional thing though it is good. But then I loved the odd jobs. I also bathed show goats!!!!

Edited by espinay2

At the average weekend show I would say no as most people will do them at home prior to the event. On a big weekend of international judges where you often get people camping an traveling long distances or specialty shows then probably yes.

As Dancinbcs mentioned the club arranged for it in the case of the BC Nationals as a courtesy for those of us traveling and staying over for a period of days. As an example, by the last day of the nationals we had been away 4 days already and for 1 of the dogs in our group that was the first day they entered the ring so although bathed before traveling they still needed a tidy up. Also as some dogs were also involved in performance sports (including herding) there were quite a few who needed at least spot bathing.