High Liver Enzymes In Dogs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's that with the Internet we hear about it more.

Yeah i think so, but i have heard of a few dogs locally here where we live that have just been diagnosed also, and they dogs heaps younger than Renae :(

Liver problems can be caused by toxins. Is there anything locally that might expose the dogs to toxins? To have a bunch of dogs all having this problem locally is a bit of a worry.

Amber is the only dog with bad liver issues at the 2 vet places I've been to with her. Certainly the only one with shunts.

Liver problems can be caused by toxins. Is there anything locally that might expose the dogs to toxins? To have a bunch of dogs all having this problem locally is a bit of a worry.

Amber is the only dog with bad liver issues at the 2 vet places I've been to with her. Certainly the only one with shunts.

Yeah it does make me wonder Jules ! Altho Joey hasn't got any issues.. atm anyway, but who knows if he had a blood test also, would something show up?

Ive always given them food from the vets or good quality food from the supermarket... Most of their treats are supposed to be Australia products, but who knows if they are and whats in them exactly ?????

I have no idea what the others are feeing their dogs.. I just heard about a few recently..

It will be interesting to see the blood test results in 6 weeks time !

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Yeah it does make me wonder Jules ! Altho Joey hasn't got any issues.. atm anyway, but who knows if he had a blood test also, would something show up?

Ive always given them food from the vets or good quality food from the supermarket... Most of their treats are supposed to be Australia products, but who knows if they are and whats in them exactly ?????

I have no idea what the others are feeing their dogs.. I just heard about a few recently..

It will be interesting to see the blood test results in 6 weeks time !

Might not be food though. Could be a chemical spayed on grass etc Could be a plant.

Might not be food though. Could be a chemical spayed on grass etc Could be a plant.

Yeah true Jules, the vet did a rattle of lots of other possibilities .. which has made me even more paranoid now..

Our cavs are rarely outside (except to do their business or if we go on outings), and when they are let out they are only allowed out into a small clean section of our backyard. We never let them drink from other dog's watering bowls. I clean their food bowls regularly..

The thing is it could be anything really... My mind has gone off in all sort of directions thinking what might it have been.. Its doing my head in :(

Ironically im much more careful with the cavs (probably too protective) compared to my dogs in the past, and they never had liver issues. But I guess I was just lucky with them, and it only takes one time to get something into their system..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I'm glad its artificial then !

My husband and I looked up about it more, and came across conflicting stories about whether the artificial bile is as effective as the genuine one. Anyway will give it a go, not sure we could afford to keep it up long term tho! Will see what the results are in 6 weeks time with her next blood test.

I hate that she is on strong meds! :(. I just hope they are on the right path with it all...

Having started comfortis this year for them both, it still makes me wonder if that could have been the cause too (which the vet did say when we questioned him that he couldn't say it wouldn't be a cause, altho unlikely).. I keep going around in circles..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

On the flip side Amber's readings weren't that high. Her ALT was 268. Even her bile test wasn't super high. I already had an accidental ultrasound at that stage showing a problem though. Accidental because they were actually looking at her heart at the time but the liver was so abnormal that they noticed it.

Really hard to say what is going on with your dog Jules. Dogs with liver conditions tend to not eat though. Was she having the trance/tremors after eating?

I got my husband to call in at the vets on way home from his work.. they now say they cant get the Hills L/D diet dry food for some time, he didnt think to ask if they have the tinned ones. So they said to use the Hills K/D dry food one in the meantime..

I also got him to ask for her results and theres quite a few numbers in bold which we don't know what means.. and its not just one thing thats out, theres a few quite out of the normal range :(

Her ALT is 341 (should be between 5 and 80 if i have read right)..

We will see what her next blood test shows up.. I know with myself sometimes my levels for different things can be up high one test but not the next one.. But I guess it depends if there are other levels that are out by a fair bit also that they take into consideration..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Have the vets said what they think is wrong with her? I *think* they are treating her for something like hepatitis.

You really need to get her on the special food as feeding a normal diet means that liver has to work harder. No worming or other chemicals either at the moment. You can feed a homemade diet of egg whites and veggies but unless you have chickens that is going to get expensive.

Hi Jules :)

They did mention Hepatitis, but I don't they think even know 100 percent yet exactly what is going on? I have vaccinated them against Hepatitis, but perhaps theres other types? They rarely mix with other dogs these days, and never drink from other water bowls. The vets do think its a recent build up of toxins thats triggered this off

I still keep going back to that new flea treatment that we started giving them earlier this year..

They said just to give her the K/D until they get the liver one back in... didnt say much else really.

We dont have chooks but i will try to give her some eggs in the meantime.. I cant give them much veges as it goes through them easily :o

would it be ok to still give her chicken necks couple times a week?

if her levels are still very elevated after next test, I will discuss her diet in more detail with them.. they really haven't told me much in that department :(.

No im not going to worm her or put in any other type of chemicals like flea treatments into her for a while..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Hi Jules :)

They did mention Hepatitis, but I don't they think even know 100 percent yet exactly what is going on? I have vaccinated them against Hepatitis, but perhaps theres other types? They rarely mix with other dogs these days, and never drink from other water bowls. The vets do think its a recent build up of toxins thats triggered this off

I still keep going back to that new flea treatment that we started giving them earlier this year..

They said just to give her the K/D until they get the liver one back in... didnt say much else really.

We dont have chooks but i will try to give her some eggs in the meantime.. I cant give them much veges as it goes through them easily :o

would it be ok to still give her chicken necks couple times a week?

if her levels are still very elevated after next test, I will discuss her diet in more detail with them.. they really haven't told me much in that department :(.

No im not going to worm her or put in any other type of chemicals like flea treatments into her for a while..

No chicken necks. Maybe one a week.

With the eggs it is just the whites that you can feed.

Diet is super important.

Ok thanks Jules, I will strive to give her a diet that is aimed more for her condition. You think the vet would have advised me ...

How many egg whites a day/week be ideal? do you just give it on its own or mix it in with some pet friendly milk ?

I don't know also how to fill her up (with out being fatty) as shes always excessively hungry now. I cant give her lots of veges as they go straight through her.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Just picked up a friends dog from the vet who had a high billirubin in current bloods & thus had ultrasounds done today. Liver looked overall even in ultrasound, though there were a few "gritty" looking areas the vet has put down to age. No obvious tumors. Has a fasting/fed blood tests as well...test results in a week or so.

This dog has a history of pancreatitis which has been treated with a low fat diet,as liver diet is high protein the question is to control the fattiness....a drug is to prescribed post blood results...apologies I cant remember the name.

This thread is very interesting.Thanks for the post. I am interested to see the results the OP is having with the new regime, I hope all goes well.

Assuming she is normal cavvy size around 4 egg whites. The suggested veggies are carrots, sweet potato, potato and green beans. You are supposed to add fish oil, vitamins and eggshells to this!!

I was told not to try a homemade diet as Amber was having fits so I would say your dog is the same.

Just picked up a friends dog from the vet who had a high billirubin in current bloods & thus had ultrasounds done today. Liver looked overall even in ultrasound, though there were a few "gritty" looking areas the vet has put down to age. No obvious tumors. Has a fasting/fed blood tests as well...test results in a week or so.

This dog has a history of pancreatitis which has been treated with a low fat diet,as liver diet is high protein the question is to control the fattiness....a drug is to prescribed post blood results...apologies I cant remember the name.

This thread is very interesting.Thanks for the post. I am interested to see the results the OP is having with the new regime, I hope all goes well.

Thanks Redangel :)

Hope your friend's dog will be ok! How old?

Renae hasn't had any problems with pancreatitist as this stage . I did talk to the vets about if that could be a problem also, and they said no..

Let me know how your friend's dog gets on..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Dog is older dog...10yrs. Ill let you know what the bloods come back as. In the meantime Ill happily accept low fat protein ideas anyone can muster.

:)

Renae is just over 10 as well..

I was supposed to get her some Hills L/D but they are out of stock so they suggested she has Hills K/D dry food in the meantime.. (you can get it in canned food as well at vets)

Jules P has given some ideas previously in this post :) or even do a search throughout the health section to do with dogs needing low fat /protein diets.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

• 1 month later...

Renae had her follow up blood test yesterday. The vet said she will call me with the results on Monday.

She hasn't gotten any worse, but still gets the shakes (just minor ones) and those little trancey fits occasionally .. We told the vet she hasn't been ill as such but if anything shes put on weight ! She finished the AB's a while ago now, but still on those artificial bear bile tablets every day (Ursodiol). She doesn't really want to go on walks anymore, but is healthy otherwise!

The vet did say its got them baffled too as shes not showing normal usual signs of liver disease .. so will wait and see what the results show Monday.

We haven't given her anything with chemicals in it ( eg flea/worm treatments) since being diagnosed because of the toxin problem they said she had..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs