Stopped A Dog Attack This Morning...

Ruin Maniac

Well done. :)

I would report.

The attacked dogs may have injuries from being bitten which are not apparent from the outside. A pom was bitten once, looked fine, but in fact 5 ribs had been torn from the spine, and lungs and other internal organs were damaged. The pressure of the jaws does damage too

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those dogs could still die from shock or crush injuries so are not out of the woods yet. Definitely report the attack to ensure that the dog is pts and never has a chance to do that again. I don't care how people friendly he is, he has no place in society. The owner should also be in for a heavy fine for being so irresponsible.

Yes, shock is always a danger.

Please let us know how they are faring, RM.

Good on you RM :) poor little dogs, amd their owner, I hope they all come though it ok.

After reading everyone's comments, I do agree with reporting it yourself. Like you, I wasn't sure if I would when I read your first post but now I think it is the right thing to do. If people were coming and going from the house the owner of the dangerous dog should have shut him in a room, tethered or crated him like you said.

Edited by Simply Grand

Please don't give that dog the opportunity to ever hurt someone again. There's no way that dog was playing, that was a serious life threatening attack and the dog needs to be put to sleep to protect others.

The dog's owner failed to safely contain it, what's to stop him from doing it again? You.

Please report it.

Edited by Parkeyre

I agree with everyone else - report it.

The last time I was at the emergency vet, a small dog was rushed in having been attacked by a large roaming neighbourhood dog, and it wasn't so lucky. It had been on leash being walked by its owner, who had bites all over her hands and arms, and her dog never made it. If you hadn't stepped in here, it sounds like that woman and her dogs may have ended up the same way :(

Please don't give that dog the opportunity to ever hurt someone again. There's no way that dog was playing, that was a serious life threatening attack and the dog needs to be put to sleep to protect others.

The dog's owner failed to safely contain it, what's to stop him from doing it again? You.

Please report it.

oops wrong thread, I was talking about a different situation :o

Edited by mixeduppup

Please report it.

Not necessarily PTS but safely contained and not let loose on the street. I know people with dogs that if left without fencing would do the same thing. Some dogs are DA and need proper containment. No one was injured and technically no one was attacked. Not taking away from labradork's experience, simply saying how most councils would see it.

Dogs that attack other animals are seized and put to sleep by councils. Their owners are in breach of the law.

This was ALREADY a declared dangerous dog. It's owner slipped up and other dogs suffered. It wouldnl't be getting another chance if I had anything to do with it.

Report it. A dog with a history of serious aggression towards other dogs AND with an owner that dropped the ball shouldnt' be getting another chance IMO.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Please report it.

Not necessarily PTS but safely contained and not let loose on the street. I know people with dogs that if left without fencing would do the same thing. Some dogs are DA and need proper containment. No one was injured and technically no one was attacked. Not taking away from labradork's experience, simply saying how most councils would see it.

Dogs that attack other animals are seized and put to sleep by councils. Their owners are in breach of the law.

This was ALREADY a declared dangerous dog. It's owner slipped up and other dogs suffered. It wouldnl't be getting another chance if I had anything to do with it.

Report it. A dog with a history of serious aggression towards other dogs AND with an owner that dropped the ball shouldnt' be getting another chance IMO.

You'll see that I mentioned Labradork, I thought i was in the other thread. I want this dog to be PTS

Edited by mixeduppup

report it! Imagine if you had your own dogs with you as well. You wouldn't have been able to intervene with the same success and also guarantee your own dogs were safe as well as the fluffies. It could have been much worse and might be deadly next time. You don't want that on your conscience if it gets out again.

There must have been something awful to happen for the dog to be wearing a dangerous dog collar in the first place. That still wasn't enough for the owner to be containing his dog safely and it got out and did it again. I would tend to think this person is not responsible enough for today's events to be enough of a scare for him to 100% keep it contained in the future.

Report it for the sake of all the other dogs in the area. You are not responsible for the outcome for this dog, the owner is.

(and good on you for helping out)

Well done to you for what you did :thumbsup: - you were so brave to help that lady. Just imagine if you saw one of her little dogs die in front of you this morning - I think then you'd be reporting this attack. It could have been all so different if you hadn't intervened. What a horrible situation all round. I really feel for you.

Stay out of it. The woman has your contact details if you need to be involved, she has the other owners details should she choose to discuss it with them and/or report it herself.

You stated that you contacted the council immediately after the attack whilst the two men restrained the dog so the incident has already been reported? I see no need to contact them again unless you are given good reason to.

For future reference, if you ever need to break up a dog fight: http://leerburg.com/pdf/howtobreakupdogfight.pdf

Grabbing an aggressive dog by the collar is extremely dangerous, I'm glad you weren't injured.

Do you know who owns the attacking dog and who the victim is otherwise the council won't do much with a 3rd party report unless the victim comes forward to lodge a complaint? Personally I think the choice to report lays with the victim and it may just be the incident to take the owner of the offending dog to the next level of responsibilty with a 2nd chance.........having said that, if the dog is "already" declared dangerous it doesn't appear that the responsibility that comes with the containment of a declared dog is sinking in?.

"You stated that you contacted the council immediately after the attack whilst the two men restrained the dog so the incident has already been reported? I see no need to contact them again unless you are given good reason to."

I didn't call the council ranger to file a report, I called the council to ask for advice on the situation and they offered to put me through to the ranger, and I left that up to the victim to decide. No more information was given other than that a dog had attacked the victim's dogs while they were being walked, and all they could tell me to do was contact the ranger and let them seize the aggressor. I then passed that information on to her so that she could decide what she would like to do.

The reason I am concerned is because it could have been an elderly person or a child, who frequently walk small dogs down this street. It could have been my housemate who is going to see an 8 week old rescue terrier tomorrow, it could have been me in two months time. This dog was intent on killing her two, it had rushed at them from behind. But I did, on the scene, give the victim the choice since she was clearly distressed enough without being forced to deal with the authorities.

I haven't heard anything back from the victim yet. I hope the little ones are okay :(

Edited by Ruin Maniac

Also, SecetKel, I appreciate the guide as to breaking up a dog fight and will definitely keep those techniques in mind, but the options presented in that booklet were not applicable in the situation. Nobody stepped in to help (the two men did not stop their cars until AFTER the dogs had been separated and I was struggling to drag it further down the street, although some neighbors were peering through windows), so two people could not grab the legs of the aggressor, and I do not have a leash or anything to make one at my immediate disposal. I understand I could have been hurt and I probably should have done nothing for my own safety given the fact that those options were not possible, but I honestly couldn't help myself. The woman was screaming and crying in desperation, and so were the little ones.

Edited by Ruin Maniac

Also, SecetKel, I appreciate the guide as to breaking up a dog fight and will definitely keep those techniques in mind, but the options presented in that booklet were not applicable in the situation. Nobody stepped in to help (the two men did not stop their cars until AFTER the dogs had been separated and I was struggling to drag it further down the street, although some neighbors were peering through windows), so two people could not grab the legs of the aggressor, and I do not have a leash or anything to make one at my immediate disposal. I understand I could have been hurt and I probably should have done nothing for my own safety given the fact that those options were not possible, but I honestly couldn't help myself. The woman was screaming and crying in desperation, and so were the little ones.

Generally if you grab a dog by the back legs they will let go, you only need one person to do that though two is obviously going to be better. It's much safer than grabbing an unknown dog by the collar. I'm sure the woman was extremely grateful that you stepped in.

Report it. I think the 2 men in the car were looking for the dog and when they saw it in a fight were just going to keep going. They turned back once you had grabbed it.

Now that I consider that, it could be possible that they were contractors building the fence the owner mentioned. They did seem eager to get the dog in the car with its owner and have the whole situation done with just like that, and they had driven by and turned around very slowly. They didn't look all too impressed with me while I was on the phone either. Though I thought they were just being bloke-y with the whole "well, nobody's dead so she'll be right" attitude. But I can't speculate too much, in all fairness. Didn't interact with them too much.

In relation to the questions about the owner of the aggressive dog, he did seem somewhat concerned about the victim's dogs but more concerned about justifying why his dog had escaped. He was visibly upset. Again, I can't speculate.