Stopped A Dog Attack This Morning...

Ruin Maniac

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Labradork

I take something to spray dogs with when i walk. I have a dog reactive dog, trainer says he is ok off lead, but he hates off lead dogs when he is on, i never let him off but we get rushed all the time. Its suprising how effective a water spray to the face is, though the owners generally get pissed off.

Does anyone know - is it legal to carry a taser or capsicum spray? Or would a taser kill a dog?

Would they just make a dog more psycho or would they give you time to get away?

What you need is an instant Spiderman web-type thingy that shoots out and covers the dog and stops it from moving. Someone should really invent this :laugh:

About the children walking the dog.

The law varies from state to state.

In SA a responsible person has to be holding one end of the lead with the dog on the other - on footpaths and the like - and that person has to be over 16. Same applies to off lead - the person exercsing effective control - has to be over 16.

Yet overseas - they have junior handler competitions.

And there's plenty of small people with big dogs they can't control.

dangerous dog - not contained - loose in the street

that's enough to report without mentioning you actually saw it attack some dogs as well.

I have a friend who did not report a certain dog the first time that it attacked her dogs because the owner begged her not to, and more recently it's happened again. But because she didn't report the first one - she's got less leverage to get that dog properly secured.

It may vary with different councils, but unless you can hand the dog to them on a plate, random dog incidents I have never known them to do much in areas we have lived. Even though the offending dog may be narrowed down given that it appeared to be already declared dangerous by the striped collar, it's still likely reporting it will end up in the too hard basket?

It does depend a bit.

In our council - you can only report dogs you have a rego number for. I did get some action - after getting the animal managment officer out to take a report in quadruplicate - with the old dog rego number... turned out it wasn't registered this year so they were up for a fine for that alone, and it bit me and my dog. So biting a human tends to get a lot more action than biting another dog.

I had a recent discussion about dogs vs car accidents - and apparently if the car owner decides they want the dent out - they can point to any dog they like - and it's up to the owner to prove the dog could not have done it. In one case I got told about - the car owners pointed to a dog, the owner proved that the dog was at the vet at the time of the accident - so they pointed at the other dog. Ie the car owners had no clue which dog had done what, but they knew how to get an insurance claim paid. And apparently house hold insurance of the dog owner - covered the repairs to the car, and the insurance company said it was much cheaper to pay up than prove the car owners were scammers.

Guest Labradork

Not legal. You cN carry citronella spay but it won't stop a really serious dog.

Okay, thanks :)

I carry citronella spray on walks in case we run in to an off leash dog that I can't get to leave us alone any other way but yeah, it's only likely to work in cases of low to medium level aggression and won't stop a dog serious about causing damage.

Thanks, I might get some. That would have been handy for that Bulldog cross that followed us home on Thursday.

In Vic at the moment, a wandering bull breed with no papers would be immediately deemed a pit bull and declared dangerous.

So saying the council will do nothing is far from true, one case they even went to a dog obediance club saw a dog that looked wrong and seized and attempted to PTS. No behavior problems, cant remember if owners or council won though

If its already declared dangerous I have no doubt he will be PTS

"Dog needs to be PTS and owner fined massively. I couldn't care what breed it is. People are making stupid assunptions"

Thats a pritty big assumption aswell with absolutely zero knowledge of the dogs hystory we have decided it needs to be PTS anyways hopefuly the little dogs are fully ecovered and the lady wasnt to upset from the obviously scary situation.

It attacked two other dogs, there is an eye wittness account. No assumptions there.

All seems pretty straight forward to me, dog WAS NOT under effective control & dog was being aggressive towards other dogs. To not report said dog IMHO would be extremely irresponsible & could in the long run put someone else dog in danger. To me the dogs breed or how/why it got out dose not matter whether it is a declared dangerous or a restricted breed matters none to the decision to report the incident either. Of course it will make a difference to how the situation is dealt with but that's out of the reporting persons hands & should not have anything to do with reporting or not reporting the incident.

All seems pretty straight forward to me, dog WAS NOT under effective control & dog was being aggressive towards other dogs. To not report said dog IMHO would be extremely irresponsible & could in the long run put someone else dog in danger. To me the dogs breed or how/why it got out dose not matter whether it is a declared dangerous or a restricted breed matters none to the decision to report the incident either. Of course it will make a difference to how the situation is dealt with but that's out of the reporting persons hands & should not have anything to do with reporting or not reporting the incident.

:thumbsup: Exactly!!

You know nothing of the dog exept for this one incident where luckily no dog was killed. we have no idea why it has been declared dangerous therefore we shouldnt speculate. We only know of this one incident and it doesnt warrent a dog to be pts maybe the owners but tnot the dog (just kidding, sort off) anyways thats my opinion you have yours.

that when tradies were around was the most dangerous time for dogs.

Not wanting to cause ALL tradies any dis service but please guys /gals if you are on a building site or reno and you MUST bring your beloved work dog along to gaurd you and your equipment etc. Can you contain your dog some how?

I am sick and tired of walking my dogs on leash around my neighbourhood to be confronted by these huge dogs slinking out from under/behind utes and trade vans, as well as lurking off into front yards and footpaths leaving their huge calling cards and tradies are unaware as on top of building or behind doors with machinary /radio blaring. too bad if I was screaming for help etc.

My own recent reno saw my dogs confined for nearly 6 weeks and one tradie arrived with dog in tow let it out and it starts checking the place out before I realised it was even on site, I spoke to tradie and he replied off handed "oh he is all good won't hurt your dogs" and I replied I would prefer you tie him up or lock him on vehicle as my bitch is in season (the dog was entire). He laughed, so needless to say he didn't do any work on my property.

Now my dogs get a drive in car to suburbs far removed which have safe puppy enclosed off lead area and are mostly retired communities so thankfully few dogs use these facilities.

There is this little saying 'Duty of Care' and boy does it have impact in the legal world :o

In Vic at the moment, a wandering bull breed with no papers would be immediately deemed a pit bull and declared dangerous.

So saying the council will do nothing is far from true, one case they even went to a dog obediance club saw a dog that looked wrong and seized and attempted to PTS. No behavior problems, cant remember if owners or council won though

If its already declared dangerous I have no doubt he will be PTS

Being declared a restricted breed is not the same thing as being declared a dangerous dog.

Same restrictions apply for a pit bull as dangerous dog

Guest donatella

that when tradies were around was the most dangerous time for dogs.

Not wanting to cause ALL tradies any dis service but please guys /gals if you are on a building site or reno and you MUST bring your beloved work dog along to gaurd you and your equipment etc. Can you contain your dog some how?

I am sick and tired of walking my dogs on leash around my neighbourhood to be confronted by these huge dogs slinking out from under/behind utes and trade vans, as well as lurking off into front yards and footpaths leaving their huge calling cards and tradies are unaware as on top of building or behind doors with machinary /radio blaring. too bad if I was screaming for help etc.

My own recent reno saw my dogs confined for nearly 6 weeks and one tradie arrived with dog in tow let it out and it starts checking the place out before I realised it was even on site, I spoke to tradie and he replied off handed "oh he is all good won't hurt your dogs" and I replied I would prefer you tie him up or lock him on vehicle as my bitch is in season (the dog was entire). He laughed, so needless to say he didn't do any work on my property.

Now my dogs get a drive in car to suburbs far removed which have safe puppy enclosed off lead area and are mostly retired communities so thankfully few dogs use these facilities.

There is this little saying 'Duty of Care' and boy does it have impact in the legal world :o

It is sad that is has come to us driving our dogs to a safe park to be exercised :(

I am the same, I do not walk the streets, call it fear of the unknown.

Agree with the above.

It does depend a bit.

In our council - you can only report dogs you have a rego number for. I did get some action - after getting the animal managment officer out to take a report in quadruplicate - with the old dog rego number... turned out it wasn't registered this year so they were up for a fine for that alone, and it bit me and my dog. So biting a human tends to get a lot more action than biting another dog.

I had a recent discussion about dogs vs car accidents - and apparently if the car owner decides they want the dent out - they can point to any dog they like - and it's up to the owner to prove the dog could not have done it. In one case I got told about - the car owners pointed to a dog, the owner proved that the dog was at the vet at the time of the accident - so they pointed at the other dog. Ie the car owners had no clue which dog had done what, but they knew how to get an insurance claim paid. And apparently house hold insurance of the dog owner - covered the repairs to the car, and the insurance company said it was much cheaper to pay up than prove the car owners were scammers.

We had an incident a few years ago where a dog up the road ran out and knocked a kid off a bicycle. The kid was shocked and had grazed knees but was otherwise ok. His parents made a report to council, the kid described the dog and the house it ran out from and the owner simply told council it wasn't his dog and at that time he was at his sister's place with the dog and had 4 witnesses to verify his dog's whereabouts at the time of the incident. Council said ok then sorry to trouble you?