Nose Bleeds/allergies/cortisone

enna

I posted this topic last year: Unexplained bleeding in dog and am hoping to get some more advice. I eventually found that the bleeding was coming from my dog's nose and took her back to the vet. She had xrays/nasal swab/dental work done and they couldn't find a definite cause, but thought that it might be from a tooth that needed to come out. After the dental she had a small amount of bleeding for a few days and then it seemed to stop... until last week.

I am finding blood spots on her bed again and have taken her back to the vet. They ordered a urine test to rule out kidney problems, and when it came back normal, left a message saying they'd like to put her on cortisone incase it is an allergy causing irritation to her nose. Does anyone have any experience with this? She doesn't sneeze any more than usual and the bleeding has previously occurred in pretty much every season. I have only noticed the bleeding at night while she is sleeping. It just seems a bit rash to prescribe a drug with no real proof of what the problem is. I called the vet back and almost got the impression they don't have a clue what it is and think they should try something/anything.

Has anyone else had a dog with a longterm nose bleed problem? It is only ever a small amount, but I would really like to know what is causing it.

Guest donatella

Undiagnosed hypertension? Not even sure dogs suffer high blood pressure that but a lot of human nose bleeds are because of this.

Sorry I do not know the source of the problem:(

However if the bleeds do become a real problem you should look into Yunnan Baiyao to help stop them.

I hope that you can find the real reason soon. Not knowing the cause and therefore the seriousness must be really frustrating!