How Far Ahead Do You Start Thinking About Your Next Dog?

Pretty Miss Emma

103 members have voted

1. 1. How far ahead do you start planning and thinking about the next dog you will add to your family/house/breeding program?

• I don't
    • Whenever it feels right
    • A few weeks
    • A few months
    • Up to a year
    • 1-2 years
    • 2-3 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 4 or more years

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've wanted to be a two dog home since we got our first husky Didge as a couple.

She passed away from an accident just I had gotten in contact with breeders for 'Esky'

So I guess 'F' dog has been in the pipeline for over 4 years.

There have been problems agreeing on breeds, for a while it was to be a Lapphund, but that didn't eventuate.

I got right into sled racing, so we've been trying to work out the best breed for us.

I've now got my heart set on an import, even if the pups were born tomorrow I wouldn't have the dog with me for almost another year. So I guess we've got about 1-3 years to wait for our next dog if everything works.

Years. Our next dog will either be a pup from Rosie (who is only 8 months old herself) or another Aussie. I already have where from and roughly when I will get the Aussie, although plans of course can change.

None of our current dogs have really been to plan except Ruby. You never know what is around the corner, but I think it is important to have plans and goals, especially with breeding and showing.

I won't get another dog till Jarrah's time has come. She's only 5 and a half (I think) so all going well I should get at least another 10 years, maybe more if I'm really careful and lucky with her health. So I've planned 10 years ahead. The dog will be a Bully Breed, probably an Amstaff or Pit Bull, and again I will go to the pound for him/her. This time I'd like to get an older dog, but I said that before I got Jarrah and it didn't happen, so I am aware that may not happen, depends on the dogs who need homes on the day.

I'm always planning, but there won't be a new dog til Honey is gone (she's only 5) OR we move to a bigger place (very unlikely). I just like to dream about what I will get next. It's always changing- Honey is the perfect dog for us but the shedding drives me bonkers, so I'm not sure I could do a GR again. So I go round and round, Viszla, Weim, GSP, then I think, no, the GR is perfect, what's a little hair???... Then after I have swept for the 4th time in one day... Im back to Viszla again! :laugh:

It'll take me another 8 years to decide- I'm hoping Honey is long lived!

12 - 18 months for me.

I have always thought about what breed next thing when i had my 2 dogs. Now i have lost Atlas I want another asap

Kaos can be a bitch around other dogs and im having a baby in Feb.

If i knew it was going to work i would get a puppy today, but if things with new dog and kaos dont work out well, its going to be a lot of work. So baby first, then see what we are up to in the middle of next year.

I have a breed picked out, sadly not another Bull Terrier :( so just need to wait and see

Guest donatella

I am not planning anymore in the near future as I'm very happy with 2 at present, one 18 months one 5 months but if I ever buy my own place I will definitely like to add a little boy to the pack :D

I am always thinking ahead as to what breed etc I would might like. The serious research happens around 2 years before.

Sometimes things go much quicker which knocks me a bit :) but it ends up good. Most of my dogs ahve been decided on before matings have even occured, obviously if no babies happen things get tweeked.

The Whippets have been a little different though.

I was looking into and researching Whippets as my next breed. I had contacted some breederds, heard back from one and was in regualr contact with her. My dog suddenly became ill and died within 4 weeks. I was 33 weeks pregnant. My breeder had a pregnant bitch, all babies were sold and I put my name down for the litter in 12 months time.

I had my baby things went to crap and I really really missed my dog. I was still keeping in contact with my breeder. Well fate stepped in I had a VERY laid back baby and suddenly there was a puppy available, she was laid back as well, a solid colour and it seemed fate had stepped in. Within two weeks I had my puppy. That never normally happens as I am an over analyser. Lewis became available, I wasn't looking for a dog in particular, I went to see him and a week later he was here. Seems I take on Whippets much more quickly than I have ever taken on any other dog :)

Another who's always thinking about the next one despite it being years away. (Put less thought into having kids :shhh: )

As I don't like where my current breed is heading and my breeder of choice may or may not be still breeding then, I also have to consider the possiblity of another breed. AND then find the breeder!?!

Years ahead here. Waited 4 years for my collies after building relationship with breeder for another 2 before that.

Currently looking for a Samoyed, but waiting for him/her to find me. The breeder/dog I had my eye on had decided not to breed..........so back to looking, but not in any urgent way. Have been considering the breed and checking out breeders for about three years or so.

Despite this - three greyhounds have found us in the mean time.........(failed foster care 101) thumbsup1.gif

I have accepted that this will always be a multi dog household. Just the number that varies.

I've thought about breeds I would like but haven't 'planned' on another dog. We can't get another dog where we are so until we move somewhere else and it's suitable to have another dog we'll just have the one, Ideally I would like to have just the two in our household when we can get another one.

Edited by Jetty

Sorry OP - forgot second part of your question - why?

I like to get to know the breed

I like to get to know the breeder/s

I like to wait a few years so I know in my own heart it is for keeps

I believe in Karma and the right dog finds you eventually

Not to go off topic but can I ask- do breeders mind if you get in touch with them years ahead? I've been itching to make contact with some but given I won't be wanting a puppy for a few years at least AND I just moved overseas I was afraid they would just tell me to sod off.

Always thinking about it, but won't be doing it until our older girl passes on.

Then I will be trying to convince myself to wait a bit longer.

I do tend to want to 'leap' when the time comes, so the more thought done before then, the better!