How Far Ahead Do You Start Thinking About Your Next Dog?

Pretty Miss Emma

103 members have voted

1. 1. How far ahead do you start planning and thinking about the next dog you will add to your family/house/breeding program?

• I don't
    • Whenever it feels right
    • A few weeks
    • A few months
    • Up to a year
    • 1-2 years
    • 2-3 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 4 or more years

Hi Ann

I think it depends on breed. Friends who have approached breeders for the more "common" breeds, tend to find that breeders are not interested. When I say common I mean popular and therefore the breeder will have a litter a couple of times a year for eg.

I have found most breeders I have contacted breed once every two years and don't mind at all that you keep in touch. For me - it is in itself a bit of a litmus test as I like breeders that are happy to get photos of their puppies life, for its whole life. If they don't want to know me until I have a deposit in my hand, then they and I are probably not a good match to begin with. Not saying it is right wrong or other - just that it is my style.

My Collie breeder got regular photos of our dogs well before we had a puppy from her and then once we had one (or two) of her puppies we sent very regular updates. She loves it.

She says it allowed her to get to know us thoroughly well before we wanted a puppy.

I have two Sammy breeders that I would talk to maybe twice a year. If they are attending shows in our State I make an effort to go. It is not much, but it is enough to show I am for real and not a transient buyer that just wants any Sammy as apposed to one specifically from their lines / kennel / temperament.

Hope this helps?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ann

I think it depends on breed. Friends who have approached breeders for the more "common" breeds, tend to find that breeders are not interested. When I say common I mean popular and therefore the breeder will have a litter a couple of times a year for eg.

I have found most breeders I have contacted breed once every two years and don't mind at all that you keep in touch. For me - it is in itself a bit of a litmus test as I like breeders that are happy to get photos of their puppies life, for its whole life. If they don't want to know me until I have a deposit in my hand, then they and I are probably not a good match to begin with. Not saying it is right wrong or other - just that it is my style.

My Collie breeder got regular photos of our dogs well before we had a puppy from her and then once we had one (or two) of her puppies we sent very regular updates. She loves it.

She says it allowed her to get to know us thoroughly well before we wanted a puppy.

I have two Sammy breeders that I would talk to maybe twice a year. If they are attending shows in our State I make an effort to go. It is not much, but it is enough to show I am for real and not a transient buyer that just wants any Sammy as apposed to one specifically from their lines / kennel / temperament.

Hope this helps?

Thanks that was very helpful. I just went back to the puppy listing for the breed I was interested in just to oogle at puppy pics (I do this almost daily!) I don't think the breed I want is very very popular (havanese). So I might try contacting some! I just have to be more careful and mention things like I am happy for the breeder to desex before sending puppy over, more than happy to Skype and show my face, where I live and my current dog, am able to provide details of vet in Melbourne who desexed my current dog, etc. Basically do what I can to assure them I am not an overseas scammer trying to breed puppies.

Edited by ann21

I will always have greyhounds. My two are both 4 years old now and all things going well I will hopefully have another 10 years with them :crossfingers: which will make ME almost 60. Then I will adopt old greyhounds and we can sit on the porch together and remember the days when we used to live in the fast lane :)

I voted 4 years + but really it will probably be longer than that before I am able to get my next dog. I have 2 dobes at the moment, a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old and as they are both entire males with which I hope to compete in Schutzhund (eldest got his BH on Saturday) well I know I have my hands full.

I think the maximum number of dogs I could own is 2, I am already struggling to work a full time in a challenging role, play and walk with the dogs and get through their training programs. But one day, my goal is to import a proven Dobermann bitch (ie with Sch/IPO titles) and of course that will involve an overseas trip to watch her and the family in action. I prefer working with males but Australia doesn't appear to have much in the way of quality bitches for working breeding progreams and semen is much easier to get in than a dog. Naturally, the dog I like the most at the moment happens to be in Mexico and we can't even import a dog from there so yes all in all nothing is going to happen anytime soon :(

I am always planning my next dog :laugh:

I am ALWAYS planning too :laugh: But OH and I had a serious talk and it won't be until my current two pass away (they are 6 (7 in Jan) and 5 so not for a while yet).

That leaves me a long time to toss up between a Australian Shepherd, Toller or a Boston Terrier :rofl:

I planned Veikko for about 2.5 years. I spent some time researching the breed, learnt which type I preferred and then went looking for lines in Australia that I thought would have the looks and drive I wanted, then I approached a breeder. That was all about 2 years before Veikko was born.

I'm already looking at my next addition to the family. I know what I want and I'm prepared to wait for as long as it takes to get it :)

I've been thinking about a second breed for at least a year now but now that I've found the breed I'm happy with and lines I like I'm willing to wait as long as I have too to get the dog I want. I'm extremely fussy about what I like in this breed so it could be awhile :laugh:

Pretty much all the time. Even though we have 4 dogs which is at least one more than I'd like to have. 2 are senior citizens 10.5 and 13 next month. It is sad to have too many old dogs and too hectic to have many young dogs (my young dog is 3 years and my husbands is 10 months). Even if I lost both my oldies soon it is at least 2 years until my next pup. Gael will be 5 then which is a good sort of gap for me. If my husband wants more than one though we are never going to get back below 4!

Well, for a while now I have been very obsessed with French Bull Dogs, and I want one why I want one:

They are cute

They are small and compact and I can hide it in my bed

They get along well with other dogs

and im sure many more reasons will follow over time

but I know it will not be in consideration for another 4-5 years at least my life needs to be stable before I consider buying another dog but I will be starting my research and looking into breeders and rescue and everything else until the time where I can finally bring a little nugget into my life.

Pretty much constantly :o

I had already thought of my fourth dog while my 3rd was growing up, my fourth (all things going well!) will be from my 3rd's first litter next year :D

I do also have my name down for a pup from a different breed as there are only 2 breeders in Australia who rarely breed and they have smallish litters, so put my name down so when I am ready I won't be waiting 5 years for one :p

More or less constantly :p

I want SO many breeds but pretty much have it down to definitely wanting a Silky terrier, Golden Retriever & German Shepherd at some point. Chinese Crested would be awesome as well (maybe same time as the Silky, because they're small & spunky thumbsup1.gif )

I quite like Aussie Shepherds too so wouldn't pass one of them up!

I do really want my next dog to be a puppy though...I haven't had "my own puppy" since we got my little dog Poco who's 14 now. My current dog was from the in-laws' farm and 3 yrs old when I got him! And he's naturally very timid/uninterested/difficult to motivate so it's a challenge to get him motivated enough to teach him tricks. (Although, in the 2 or so years I've had him we've managed, sit, drop, stay (still working on) & some kind of beg where balance on his back legs/bottom thumbsup1.gif )

I'm planning for a puppy now, can't do much about it yet though seeing we're going to be renting as of next year icon_smile_mad.gif (YAY city living) but as soon as we get our own house...........PUPPY!!

I researched my Kelpie what I thought was years in advance (even found the breeders I wanted), but my dog at the time died unexpectedly, so it was only a year before I got him. I researched my Schipperke years in advance, but left breeder researching to a few months in advance. The timing again was fairly sudden.

I currently have a breeder in mind for my next dog, who I will be years off acquiring.

I'm very, very picky when it comes to my dogs. I'm a perfectionist when raising them as well, and I usually end up with exactly the dog I want, so this works for me.

I am looking forward to my future where I can own my own home with land and either start a line and breed or buy another dog on main! I already love showing and have three dogs, only one Lily being a main and the other two are pets! But I would love todo obedience with cindy. I'm too excited but it is a few years away unfortunately

As a breeder, I plan way way way ahead. It doesn't always go as plan, but there's so many plan Bs that it's never a huge problem. :p

Yep, that is about it for me too!! :D Planned way in advance! Even if sometimes plans need to be adjusted.

But I am also open to 'opportunities' so to speak as well - though mostly those opportunities are recognised because they fit with the overall plan!

Edited by espinay2

I always say I would like my dogs ages to be about 5 years apart, but I do not think that has gone to plan as yet! Ideally I would like to be thinking about a puppy now but circumstances are not quiet right yet. Yes I think I am set on the breed which is why I stalk poor espinay2 all over DOL, up till now she has been none the wiser. :laugh: