Best Collars And Leads?

Esky the husky

I am super super super paranoid about leashes, collars and walking hardware in general.

There is nothing I have found yet that I feel 100% safe to use when walking my dog.

As a kid I was only ever allowed to walk our terriers on slip chains (although they were way too large)

So flat collars worry me a bit as I'm so used to the tightening action.

Esky has a martingale collar at the moment and it's pretty good, but I have a feeling there's something out there that would give me more peace of mind and DOL seems like the kind of place that can point me to the right collar.

And leads. I hate the traditional swivel clip that most leads have. I found a pig dog supplier who made custom leads with a locking 'bull clips' but again I was dubious on the quality of the make.

Hell some days I've resorted to using the chain from our racing stake out and padlocking it to my pants, or using two leads. :o

Any ideas on where I can find good quality gear that can put my mind at ease.

* I will add, that there is nothing wrong with the way my dog walks, she trots along most of the time, not a puller, slipper or lunger.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am super super super paranoid about leashes, collars and walking hardware in general.

There is nothing I have found yet that I feel 100% safe to use when walking my dog.

As a kid I was only ever allowed to walk our terriers on slip chains (although they were way too large)

So flat collars worry me a bit as I'm so used to the tightening action.

Esky has a martingale collar at the moment and it's pretty good, but I have a feeling there's something out there that would give me more peace of mind and DOL seems like the kind of place that can point me to the right collar.

And leads. I hate the traditional swivel clip that most leads have. I found a pig dog supplier who made custom leads with a locking 'bull clips' but again I was dubious on the quality of the make.

Hell some days I've resorted to using the chain from our racing stake out and padlocking it to my pants, or using two leads. :o

Any ideas on where I can find good quality gear that can put my mind at ease.

* I will add, that there is nothing wrong with the way my dog walks, she trots along most of the time, not a puller, slipper or lunger.

I bought the leather leads and also the martingale collars from K9 Pro. The leads are very good quality and the collars have good german chain on them. Great product.

Countrybrookdesign. I like their martingale collars. Nice quality hardware (welded rings etc) and stitching is top rate and solid.

In particular I like their one inch heavy duty martingale collars which are solid and VERY unlikely to come off or undone in any way: http://www.countrybr...ars/1-inch-wide

I have bought a few things from them now and have been impressed with the quality every time (as well as the price).

Also Premier martingale collars which are a similar design.I have Premier collars which are over 15 years old and still as good as the day I bought them.

Edited by espinay2

Are you worried about leads and collars breaking and your dog getting loose? Leather leashes with a brass swivel won't break and fursaver long link chain collars are super strong.

Our lovely Doler, Ruthless, makes gorgeous & strong leather collars & leads- http://ruthlessleather.com/

She owns bullbreeds & used to have a husky, so she is very conscious of how strong her products are. They are all hand made.

I second Ruthless..

I have a flat collar and normal lead already but just ordered the 3 way leash and a really lovely martingale collar for Ziggy...

Google Ruthless Leather Designs and it comes up..

Another vote for K9 Pro, I have leather slip leads, collars and 6 ft leather leads from them. They are very well made,soft from the minute you get them and the quality of the hardware is excellent. They are bringing out leather martingales as well.

Is your worry about the hardware failing or Esky pulling out of the collar?

I have never had a problem with the clip on my K9 pro leashes (I have two, in use for years)

I love my K9 pro leash, the leather is divine. But my the clip sometimes mysteriously undoes. Is this generally a clip issue or is it just mine?

I love my K9 pro leash, the leather is divine. But my the clip sometimes mysteriously undoes. Is this generally a clip issue or is it just mine?

Hi Snoopy, if you think the clasp could be faulty you can send it back to us to look at if if you want to :) just email me with the details [email protected]

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments on our leather leashes and collars, we have made and sold 1000s of leashes and have never had one break. And although I am biased :laugh: I agree the leather is super soft from day one, we haven't found better quality leather anywhere else.

Thanks huski. I use a harness with a fairly thick D-ring and it usually happens when Willow suddenly turns around or shakes, so it could just be the combination of the two. I could send it back, but then I would have to use another leash which would make me sad. I'll email you.

:confused: Me neither - the snap is solid brass, very strong and the spring is really tight - one of the reasons I chose them. I saw one in use ( on a large breed that was pulling like a freight train) and asked where it was from specifically because it looked so strong. My two don't pull like that but I like the security of knowing the leads can stand up to a lot. Have you contacted them Snoopy21 ? I'm sure they would want to know if you had an issue.

I ordered two limited slip collars from Clean Run yesterday Esky the Husky, I'll let you know what they are like when they arrive.

The Ruthless ones look stunning,hmm maybe I am going to have to stay out of this thread if there are lots of suggestion it will cost me a fortune!

Edited to say ignore,just saw the response - too slow typing this morning!

Edited by coogie

I have Ruthless and k9 pro, both awesome. Will probly last forever as we only use them occasionally and they really don't get a work out. But I'm sure they would hold up to any punishment given.

:laugh: re using another leash. I don't have that problem because I am a leash addict and I probably have more here than we do at work! LOL

:laugh: I'm the Sam with leads and collars, I remember there was a thread once called ' show us your dog stuff' or something like that and Shell said my cupboards looked like a shop. :rofl:

Are you worried about leads and collars breaking and your dog getting loose? Leather leashes with a brass swivel won't break and fursaver long link chain collars are super strong.

Yeah basically. I want to ensure that nothing could break or snap to let Esky free and also something she can't back out of, which is my concern with flat collars.

Our first husky girl passed away as a result of uncoordination and a dropped leash. So I still.sometimes get a really bad gut feeling before we go out for solo walkies

Rouge royalty make strong collars for strong dogs

Ruthless leather collars are fabulous.

Jesskah's Rope Tack makes very strong leads at a great price. They are also soft on your hands. I believe she has bull snaps too.

I buy half martingale collars from northernhund they are well made and built to last. They are in Japan but ship to Oz.