Our First Hot Spot Of The Season :(

Katdogs

All great ideas, thanks.

But how do I stop Nurse Jodie the Kelpie from licking everything off? She tries so hard to keep Stevie's face and ears clean. She's cleaned off two goes of powder already tonight, even with a bit of wound guard near it. She doesn't care about bad tastes or pain, she sees it as one of her jobs :(

If I didn't know that Jodie would freak out in one, I'd suggest a muzzle... *grin*

The other alternative could be to separate the girls when you can't supervise them... just when Stevie has a healing hot spot - to give it a chance to start to heal...

T.

All great ideas, thanks.

But how do I stop Nurse Jodie the Kelpie from licking everything off? She tries so hard to keep Stevie's face and ears clean. She's cleaned off two goes of powder already tonight, even with a bit of wound guard near it. She doesn't care about bad tastes or pain, she sees it as one of her jobs :(

I know it sounds really mean but if you can't separate them, could you put the cone of shame on Nurse Jodie also?

Just out of interest: do many people's short-haired or smooth haired dogs get hot spots? I know they are most common on dogs like Goldens and particularly in the neck folds, that's why I'm curious. Also if your dog's had them: do they also suffer from sensitive skin and/or allergies?

Edited by GSPSTAFFKELP

Just out of interest: do many people's short-haired or smooth haired dogs get hot spots? I know they are most common on dogs like Goldens and particularly in the neck folds, that's why I'm curious. Also if your dog's had them: do they also suffer from sensitive skin and/or allergies?

My white Std poodle has gotten hot spots, she also has sensitive skin. Never had one on my blk poo's.

Whilst vet nursing the most common dogs with hot spots at our hosp were def goldens closely followed by rotti's!

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'hot spot' but my Chinese Crested gets a rash thingy on his belly in spring/summer only. It's red, dry and itchy. I think it's like a heat rash....maybe??? All the cooler months he is fine, even if the weather turns cooler in summer it seems to get better. I have tried paw paw ointment, Kenkay extra relief cream, and Curerash powder. I think they all give some relief but nothing seems to cure it altogether. I have bought some Aloe Vera lotion to try this week. You have to be so careful as they try to lick everything off. He knows he's not supposed to and always looks at me with guilty eyes as if to say 'sorry mum I've gone and licked it all off...you'll need to re-apply more now please'.

HotSpots are an area of acute moist dermatitis that can erupt suddenly usually the dog breaks the skin due to scratching or licking because of fleas or allergy. The area breaks out bacteria multiply and you end up with a raw red weepy crusty lesion usually round and spreading. Hot humid weather and dogs that heavy coats like goldens, labs etc are prone.

well maybe not quite the same thing but the creams and lotions we use could benefit both ailments I reckon. I'm not sure if it's starts off moist and gets dry due to him constantly licking and scratching it? I forgot to add that I also use Bio oil on it with some success too.

Thanks folks. I'll give the curash another go. Last year it didn't seem to do much except pack into a scab/cover of its own and the hotspot kept spreading, but it was quite a mucky and hidden one that had a while to fester.

Eyeopener what is the pink spray?

Stevie's on Big Dog BARF patties and meaty bones (plus random tuna, sardines, eggs, yoghurt, people scraps etc). The Canidea dry food is grain-free and she only has a couple of cups per week, when we're in a hurry or run out of ideas.

The spray can be found in most feed store shops but I will look at the name next time I go in

Stevie was perfect inside all day, but busting for the grass :( Ten hours is a long time. There was an unusual amount of black fur on our bed! The best thing is that her spot was clean and dry when I got home! So she's going to be inside again tomorrow.

She's Lab x Goldie and has longish thick fur and undercoat, and a lot of jowl and spare neck skin. She is very beautiful though :)

Her main allergy is to dust mites and a type of native grass we don't have. These spots mainly happen after she's been wet, in humid weather.

My staffy x has sensitive skin, she is allergic to summer grasses. She has had a couple of hot spots, usually on her cheeks.

Stevie's spot doesn't look as dry and is a bit puffy tonight, even after spending today inside.

She's also got her irritated 'external urethra' problem again, which is a similar sort of 'not quite right' thing she gets.

I think we'll end up at the vet tomorrow night for antibiotics if they both don't look better tomorrow. She's probably rubbing one against the other, as dogs do.

I didn't even know what a hot spot was until DOL and now I know they're much more common than non-hot-spotters would realise. My sympathies to all who fight them!