Barking At Guests

minimiss

Guest donatella

Probably we're big softies to the cutest dog ever :laugh:

And that can be the worst thing you can ever do for small dogs. As mentioned already - would you accept that type of behavior from a large breed dog?

So long as my dog doesnt hurt or bother anyone, what's the problem in how my dog is?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

Inside that fluff lies a beast- don't forget ..and, dogs is dogs..whether 4 kg , or 44 kg.

Agreed. A Pom killed a baby about 10 years ago, they are still dogs!

And that can be the worst thing you can ever do for small dogs. As mentioned already - would you accept that type of behavior from a large breed dog?

So long as my dog doesnt hurt or bother anyone, what's the problem in how my dog is?

It will be your problem if it hurts someone else due to miss management.

I have always had small dogs as well as large dog and I honestly believe the worst thing that owners do is allow small dogs to get away with so much simply because they are cute and small.

The worst dogs that I have groomed in over 10 yrs of dog grooming are small spoiled dogs who are allowed to get away with everything...they are not happy dogs - they are insecure. I would love to see you handling the small dog I did yesterday, thankfully the owner does not wear blinkers when it comes to this dog, she got him from the pound and loves him but is fully aware he is a danger...at only 5kg.

Guest donatella

Why can't they be spoilt and have boundaries?

Mine are spoilt but don't get away with things. The eldest has been to the groomer numerous times, spent the night at the vets and happily goes to others houses without a problem but at home she's a bit of an alert dog.

I urge you to read up on a Poms personality. I would never let my dog be aggressive to people, I have a baby niece and nephew we see regularly, I wouldn't jeopardize this behaviour.

Strangely enough Donatella, I didn't think we were talking about YOUR dog. And from where I sit, the OP had made it quite plain what her problem with the behaviour is.

I urge you to read up on a Poms personality. I would never let my dog be aggressive to people, I have a baby niece and nephew we see regularly, I wouldn't jeopardize this behaviour.

Well THIS dog IS being aggressive. If you can keep foremost in your thoughts that this (again) isn't about your dog, I think we'd all be getting somewhere.

The breed standard for Poms requires them to be "Extrovert, lively and intelligent" . I don't recall anything in the breed standard that suggests that aggression towards strangers is acceptable. They are tough little buggers who, without boundaries, can become little terrorists and that cute as a button appearance means that some folk want to treat them like cuddly toys, not dogs.

THIS dog, needs to be quietly and firmly appraised of the idea that it's his owner's house, not his and that her views on acceptable house guests are the ones that matter. That's for both his own protection and his owner's quality of life.

He doesn't need to be pitied or excused. He needs to be brought back into line.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Why can't they be spoilt and have boundaries?

Mine are spoilt but don't get away with things. The eldest has been to the groomer numerous times, spent the night at the vets and happily goes to others houses without a problem but at home she's a bit of an alert dog.

I don't need to read up on them but thanks any way and for what it's worth, the only dog that I have never been able to finish grooming was a very spoiled Pom who was raised like a cat, never even had a collar on it let alone been walked...was a real eye opener for me. BUT that dog was not a small true Pom like I see at the dog shows who are real little gems.

There is nothing wrong with spoiling them a little bit but don't be blind to what can happen.

I used to have a tiny 3.5kg Maltese who was the sweetest little creature and was spoiled rotten but he was not a dominant dog so was never a threat. Spoiling a dominant dog is asking for problems, not saying yours are but I have seen more than my share of nasty buggers.

Do what you like with your own dogs as you will anyway - but don't come back in here saying that you are having issues which were easily avoidable with proper leadership. And it was you who said "1 word - Pomeranian"

Edited by Andisa

Guest donatella

You need to cool your jets this sunny Friday afternoon. I am a friend of Minimiss's and when I said to her "1 word - Pomeranian" she would have (and did) get exactly what I was referring too (maybe too much of an insider joke?).

there are plenty of these funnies floating around too (sorry they are probably a bit of an insiders joke as well). please don't take them seriously.

pomguard2.jpg

pomguard.jpg

pomguard3.jpg

Guest donatella

Strangely enough Donatella, I didn't think we were talking about YOUR dog. And from where I sit, the OP had made it quite plain what her problem with the behaviour is.

Well THIS dog IS being aggressive. If you can keep foremost in your thoughts that this (again) isn't about your dog, I think we'd all be getting somewhere.

The breed standard for Poms requires them to be "Extrovert, lively and intelligent" . I don't recall anything in the breed standard that suggests that aggression towards strangers is acceptable. They are tough little buggers who, without boundaries, can become little terrorists and that cute as a button appearance means that some folk want to treat them like cuddly toys, not dogs.

THIS dog, needs to be quietly and firmly appraised of the idea that it's his owner's house, not his and that her views on acceptable house guests are the ones that matter. That's for both his own protection and his owner's quality of life.

He doesn't need to be pitied or excused. He needs to be brought back into line.

I agree it needs to be controlled (and I said that). There is an element of a Pom's personality to 'defend' its owner and property one which Minimiss needs to override!

I am not saying let Benny get away with blue murder.

Oh, an "in" joke. Riiiight.

What's funny about the behaviour of a dog that's seen it kicked and a housemate asked to leave?

You're excusing or attempting to explain this by reference to breed. That doesn't fly with me. The dog's being a little tyrant and there's nothing about that that can be explained by the word "Pomeranian".

This dog isn't "defending" his owner in the sense that you are thinking. He's protecting his owner the way he'd protect a bone. This is about what he thinks he owns, not a threat. There is no threat.

So no more excuses eh? As has already been pointed out, if this was a larger dog, this behaviour would be bloody dangerous.

Guest donatella

What's funny about the behaviour of a dog that's seen it kicked and a housemate asked to leave?

You're excusing or attempting to explain this by reference to breed. That doesn't fly with me. The dog's being a little tyrant and there's nothing about that that can be explained by the word "Pomeranian".

This dog isn't "defending" his owner in the sense that you are thinking. He's protecting his owner the way he'd protect a bone. This is about what he thinks he owns, not a threat.

So no more excuses eh? As has already been pointed out, if this was a larger dog, this behaviour would be bloody dangerous.

I know Minimiss would have consulted a Professional IF the situation was completely out of control and not something she cannot nip in the bud now and early.

This dog isn't "defending" his owner in the sense that you are thinking. He's protecting his owner the way he'd protect a bone. This is about what he thinks he owns, not a threat.

I know Minimiss would have consulted a Professional IF the situation was completely out of control and not something she cannot nip in the bud now and early.

Well you clearly have knowledge the rest of us don't. We're forced to work with what the OP has written.

But lets be clear that this appears to have been going on for some time. Personally I think a professional is a good idea.

Haha. Wow.

The funny, and more interesting aspect is potentially that the removed housemate was the problem. I now have 2 friends in, who he has met and loves, and he is still a yappy little beast but he's very different compared to the dog he was around my previous housemate.

I've also started retraining him. He's becoming a lot more receptive. We are getting there.

He is a yappy dog. That doesn't have anything to do with being a crap trainer. He likes to talk... And he thinks he has a lot to talk about. He shuts up when told but he does enjoy a good yarn.

Pomeranians are unique little dogs and you can't really apply text book descriptions to them. My friends mum came around whilst she was on holiday from NZ and she grew up with poms and she said he is a typical Pom.

He's a little bit silly. He did have a rough patch with the dickhead housemate but he's definitely a happier boy now that she's not around.

I'm pretty sure the housemate was the trigger to this behaviour (as would I if someone abused me).

I honestly doubt it. This is quite common behaviour from dominant dogs and abuse is rarely the trigger.

As I said, stop looking for excuses. Frankly if I seriously thought a dog was going to take a piece out of me, I'd be swinging a foot too.

No dog breed is unique MM. Poms are a spitz breed and have a lot of behaviours in common with other spitzs.

Guest donatella

I'm pretty sure the housemate was the trigger to this behaviour (as would I if someone abused me).

I honestly doubt it. This is quite common behaviour from dominant dogs and abuse is rarely the trigger.

As I said, stop looking for excuses. Frankly if I seriously thought a dog was going to take a piece out of me, I'd be swinging a foot too.

Now you're just being offensive without knowing the dog, the owner or the flatmate.

No dog breed is unique MM. Poms are a spitz breed and have a lot of behaviours in common with other spitzs.

You'd kick a dog? That's lovely.

Now you're just being offensive without knowing the dog, the owner or the flatmate.

Hardly. Ever been bitten by a dog Donatella? Even a tiny dog's bite hurts like stink, can require stitches and definitely requires a tetanus shot.

I'm trying (not very well it seems) to suggest that a dog behaving aggressively is a dog at risk from reprisal. Given that MM's first post said that "all hell breaks loose" when her visitors move, then my guess is that risk is real and still current.

Does that mean you would just stand there and let a dog attack you?

Yep, because sometimes being "lovely" isn't going to save the day.

And God forbid, when your little darling has just been bitten by a GSD, MM and it's coming back for the next go, lets see what you'd be prepared to do.

I've kicked the shit out of a dog and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And my dog is alive because of it.

And if I think a dog is going to take a piece out of me or one of my dogs you bet your life I'll swing a boot. And I make no apologies for it.

Sure beats waving your hands and watching your dog die or ending up at casualty yourself. But hey, that's me - I'm such a meanie.