Barking At Guests

minimiss

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it does not matter if the housemate's actions exacerbated a behaviour- what needs to be dealt with is what is present now.

If that is a dog behaving with any aggression , whether a fear aggression or not - THAT is what matters , and what needs identifying and changing.

Simple.

And, IF a dog, large or small was obviously biting me with intent ... Using a foot to remove them is definitely preferable to using a hand !! With little dogs , chewing for a while on strong leather shoes often changes their mind for them, anyway ;)

Guest donatella

I'm finding it funny that with no other knowledge other then that written in a few paragraphs the dog is deemed as a dangerous dog who deserved to be booted by the flatmate.

Goodness me.

Where did I write he attacked the chick who booted him?

Bark = attack?

I think this threat has detailed a tad don't you?

Barking is interpreted by some people as a prequel to aggression.

And frankly sometimes it is.

A frightened person will act to defend themselves if they perceive a threat to be imminent.

So let your dog bark at people and some will target your dog. We've had plenty of stories about it here over the years.

Fail to act to stop it with people in your home and when you aren't around, they can do what they please. That's the real risk as i see it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

There was some wonderful advice at the beginning of the thread.

That was taken into account as well as the advice of the people I know who are knowledged on Pom ownership.

Trigger removed and a bit of training. Who would have thunk it? No need to resort to abuse.

I'm finding it funny that with no other knowledge other then that written in a few paragraphs the dog is deemed as a dangerous dog who deserved to be booted by the flatmate.

Goodness me.

I'm finding that your leaps to conclusions would make Evil Kneviel proud. I never suggested anything of the kind. I did say that this is aggressive behaviour that shouldn't be written off by reference to breed.

If the dog is no problem, then why the thread. And if it is a problem, the advice has been given. Lock the dog up or risk that someone will get frightened enough for a repeat of what's already happened. :( Surely one incident is enough?

He's alright if they sit still but god forbid if they move as all hell breaks loose.

and that's perhaps a good reason to have him crated or on leash ..

He has growled at a few people, but they've tried too much too soon

Your dog should not be subject to this behaviour by guests if it makes him stress.

He has constantly barked and growled at my housemate, although as soon as I learnt that she kicked him (she did it once in front of me and I went absolutely nuts at her and she said she was just moving him with her foot.. Err... )

if a pom was KICKED ( what I interpret as a kick - something with force ) .. dog would scream ,there would be injuries ,and possibly broken bones. ......

Guest donatella

I have a 2 year old Pom, she will bark at guests on arrival and then spend the rest of their visit harassing them with her toys wanting all their attention and them to throw the toys for her :laugh:

Dangerous dog that she is.

I have a 2 year old Pom, she will bark at guests on arrival and then spend the rest of their visit harassing them with her toys wanting all their attention and them to throw the toys for her :laugh:

Dangerous dog that she is.

Gee, we're talking about your dog again.

But which part of "this isn't about your dog" don't you grasp?? Your dog isn't growling at people. All hell isn't breaking loose when guests move in your home is it?

If your help to MM on this one keep explaining away this behaviour as "he's just being a Pom" and blaming others for the dog's behaviour then all I can say to MM is "good luck".

She's going to need it. What I read was someone who was concerned about what her dog is doing. I would be too.

Guest donatella

I think she would more likely run a mile the other way and get real help then listen to the dramatics and conclusions made in here by people who don't know her situation and have taken it upon themselves to decide that the flatmate most likely put the boot in because the dog deserved it (have we even talked about this flatmates character yet? hmmm).

My point talking about my dog is I have a dog that does the same to guests but she is harmless she is just territorial and thinks she's some big guard dog. Noone has kicked her or abused her but she shows similar traits yet I am confident she wouldn't hurt any of these people she barks and carries on at.

I think she would more likely run a mile the other way and get real help then listen to the dramatics and conclusions made in here by people who don't know her situation and have taken it upon themselves to decide that the flatmate most likely put the boot in because the dog deserved it (have we even talked about this flatmates character yet? hmmm).

My point talking about my dog is I have a dog that does the same to guests but she is harmless she is just territorial and thinks she's some big guard dog. Noone has kicked her or abused her but she shows similar traits yet I am confident she wouldn't hurt any of these people she barks and carries on at.

NO DONATELLA, YOUR DOG ISN'T BEHAVING IN THE SAME WAY.

Clear enough for you? She ISN'T demonstrating similar traits and the fact that you think that she is is frankly a bit perplexing. Your dog offers play behaviours. There is nothing playful about what MM's dog is doing.

So you drawing comparisons and suggesting that MM's dog wouldn't hurt anyone because your dog won't is a step too far. You don't know anything of the kind.

The comparison isn't at all helpful to MM's situation as far as I can see. And you're constant suggestions that people are being dramatic isn't either. MM should be taking this seriously.

Lock the dog up and/or get some help MM. No much more needs to be said does it?

Guest donatella

This is getting nowhere as you don't know the behind the scenes, the circumstances, the dogs or the people so that's a pretty big call to make. But you carry on with your caps locks and internet rage, i'm off to do something productive with my Friday arvo :thumbsup:

This is getting nowhere as you don't know the behind the scenes, the circumstances, the dogs or the people so that's a pretty big call to make. But you carry on with your caps locks and internet rage, i'm off to do something productive with my Friday arvo :thumbsup:

you seem to be the only one who has inside info donatella, everybody else can only go by what is posted, which is true for 99% of threads on DOL. People can only respond to what is posted.

No, I don't.

Seems to me it was all going along just fine until you felt the need to weigh in with more comments on your own dog. Again.

But off you go and be productive. :) Believe it or not, people were actually trying to help MM. From where I sit it would be better to take the behaviour seriously and be told by a professional that it's nothing to worry about than the opposite.

MM I don't know if you have or want a partner but this would be best nipped in the bud on that account alone. Something tells me that your dog wouldn't take kindly to that. If you don't want him to be spending his life in another room, perhaps a visit from a decent professional would be a good idea.

MM, I think you were on the right track way back in your first post when you said you thought he had decided he was your leader and protector! You said you're already seeing benefits from giving him limits, he is learning that you make the decisions in the household and that he and you will be fine if just listens to you. I think you need to just keep working on that.

Have you read about NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free)? Search DOL or the web and read about it, it's an easy and stress free way of teaching the dog that you control all the resources in life so he needs to look to you for guidance at all times.

In addition to NILIF in general I would also be taking control of the interaction with visitors. You know that visitors will trigger him and there are lots of thing you can do to control the situation. You could have Benny penned or baby gated out of the room and ignored for the whole time visitors are there to start with, hopefully he would learn that you don't care what he thinks or does, you are fine and his actions won't control what you and your visitor do.

You could also have him on leash with you. When visitors come in if you can get him sitting and focussing on you, do some trick training and reward him focussing on you instead of the visitor. If that doesn't work maybe hold him

back, tell him firmly but calmly "stop it, it's fine" then keep holding him out of the way while ignoring him as you and visitor go about your business (I know, complicated). This may get him really worked up rather than settling him down so being separated and ignored may be better.

I think these things would only be effective if you also have NILIF or something like it going full time, even when it's just the two of you. What you want to teach him is that it's your job to protect yourself and him, not his, and that you make the decisions about what and who is ok, not him.

As I said, I think before the drama of this thread you were on the right track anyway, but you have a bit further to go. If you can I also think a professional trainer is always a helpful thing, I'm planning to have a consult or two with Riley, my reactive Sheltie, who I manage using basically what I've said above, and who is improving (he's 19 months) but I think we will both benefit from some professional advice.

Edited by Simply Grand

You need to cool your jets this sunny Friday afternoon. I am a friend of Minimiss's and when I said to her "1 word - Pomeranian" she would have (and did) get exactly what I was referring too (maybe too much of an insider joke?).

there are plenty of these funnies floating around too (sorry they are probably a bit of an insiders joke as well). please don't take them seriously.

pomguard2.jpg

pomguard.jpg

pomguard3.jpg

LOL - you do realize you can buy these for every breed under the sun - including cross breeds - don't you?

I would be getting someone in to help you sort this.

The most terrifying dog I have ever met was a Pom. Talking to the owners this dog started out the same. Barking at people, then it turned to growing and got to the stage that no vet or kennel would take it. I pet sat once and told them never again. I have never been so scared of a dog.

Not saying this is what will happen to your dog, but size means shit and I would be getting on top of this,

I did in house training with a pom once, he came in not even knowing his name, left doing 100% off lead work.

Great little dogs with the right owners sadly 4 years later this dog is back to bring its old self, training was too hard for them :(