Showing Dogs With Scars/disfigurement.

Blackdogs

I don't know about dogs but I know that unless you can hide the scar you can't show horses.

That isn't entirely true. Yes alot of attempt is done to cover scars but you can still show horses with scars. I've seen many an inhand (Led) and ridden Arabian with some terrible scar on legs shown and win. So long as the scars do not affect movement they are of no consquence. Of course do not expect to win a Turnout Saddle class with a horse with scars.

I am in this unfortunate position at the moment. My Yorkie is on 86 points and has a badly injured eye which she will most probably have removed next week. I am going to continue to show her as she has beautiful confirmation and coat colouring and most judges have been impressed with her in the past so I am hoping that the good points will overcome the loss of the eye. In the end , I think it will depend on the individual judge. Some judges bring it down to which dog has the "prettiest" face.

I've heard of dogs with missing eyes due to accident finish of their titles. You go girl(s).

I don't know about dogs but I know that unless you can hide the scar you can't show horses.

Not true plenty of horses with scars are shown :) I myself have shown a Hack with a scar on his back leg & as long as it doesn't effect movement I'm sure showing a dog with a scar would be fine.

Depending on the breed and where the scars are if the dog is truley a good specimen they persevere about 40% would not award a challenge IMO, so why not persevere if you believe in your dog. Hopefully judges will ask and you can get a chance to explain.

Edited by Tapua

Can anyone tell me about missing teeth, please?

The Xoloitzcuintle standrad allows for missing or incomplete dentition, funny thing is the the Chinese Crested ( another hairless breed) standard makes no note of missing teeth in the standard ( all true hairless dogs have incomplete dentition) BUT they dont appear to be non awarded as they have missing dentition, ie not in the standard!!

CC MOUTH

Jaws strong, with perfect, regular scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Xolo mouth

Hairless Xoloitzcuintle: Strong jaws. The incisors should close perfectly in a scissor bite with the

superior incisors overlapping; the interior surface of the superior incisors touching the external

surface of the lower incisors, squaring the jaw. A level bite, edge to edge, is also permitted. The

absence of a few incisors, canines, molars, pre-molars or rotated teeth should not be penalized, as

many dogs do not have deep roots. Genetically, the absence of hair is closely linked to the

absence of teeth.

I would suspect most standards require full dentition ??

I think it largely depends upon breed, circumstances of missing teeth and the individual judge.

I know of a BIS winning Staffordshire Bull Terrier who had had a tooth removed after an accident. His owners carried a letter from the vet certifying that the tooth was removed and wasn't missing as a result of anything congenital.

Some judges dumped him, some judges didn't care.

Like Ellz I know a big winning dog who cracked and subsequently lost a large molar. It's vey obvious when the dog is panting. He carries a vet certificate but hasn't needed it. I think the fact that it is a molar means it appears to have been lost, not that it is missing (ie genetic). If it was a premolar (which can be missing in my breed) it may be more questioned by judges.

One of mine has broken off a front incisor (number 1 - next to the upper canine) and damaged the opposite canine which he kept but it has discoloured due to the injury. It hasn't yet been questioned in the ring. But again, looks like an injury and not an hereditary defect.

I have a tricky one, I would love to hear people's opinions though as it has been a decision that I'm really torn over.

I have a dog that had to have a testicle removed. This was due to a random infection and was so severe it was a life or death decision. Obviously, we chose to have it removed and his health and well being come first rather than try to save the testicle for a potential show career.

Would you show him now he only has one due to medical reasons or is it not worth the hassle??????

I have a tricky one, I would love to hear people's opinions though as it has been a decision that I'm really torn over.

I have a dog that had to have a testicle removed. This was due to a random infection and was so severe it was a life or death decision. Obviously, we chose to have it removed and his health and well being come first rather than try to save the testicle for a potential show career.

Would you show him now he only has one due to medical reasons or is it not worth the hassle??????

Don't all breed standards say male dogs "should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum." ?

Don't all breed standards say male dogs "should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum." ?

Yeah and a fair amount of them will also state full dentition as well but you can get away with it, if it clearly looks surgically removed. Testicles should fall under that same "rule" but not sure if they do :shrug:

I currently show my older boy who is missing a front incisor and a premolar due to an accident, haven't had a judge say anything so far.....but he is a rare breed, over 10 and is shown in neuter so maybe they don't care enough to question it?

I wouldn't show the missing testicle, unless I suppose you were really certain the individual was extra worth it, and you were quick to jump in with your reason during the judges exam - medical certificate in hand.

One teste is unfortunately something that is not obviously injury or illness related, and is also a congenital sort of problem.

)

Yes it does so showing with one testicle, unlike other scars, would IMO likely be an issue no matter how the dog came to lose it given it is one of those 'golden rules' for showing an entire male and not such a grey area as other scars etc may be. You could give it a try, but be prepared to be refused I guess if you do. I personally would not do it where I may show a dog with other scars (I know of a number of big winning dogs that have had scars due to injury etc) The important thing though is that you have your dog and as you say, his health comes first :thumbsup: .

Edited by espinay2