Showing Dogs With Scars/disfigurement.

Blackdogs

I'm just wondering if dogs with obvious scarring or disfigurement can be shown. I'm talking about none-genetic causes. Say an eye was lost or part of an ear was torn of or the dog had scars from a car accident.

Would judges overlook this if the dog was a good specimen?

Yes. Scars are showable. Some injuries are harder though, such as maybe a broken leg that never healed quite straight. Tails docked due to injury are another tricky one as carriage, length etc can't really be judged in a normally tailed breed.

One of my bitches has a white face and ran into a wire fence after a rabbit when young. She tore a big triangle out right between her eyes. She still has a black scar there although it's smaller than I would've expected. Sometimes I chalk it little, sometimes I don't worry. One of mine also has a split in his ear tip from playing. I know a top winning hound with a decent chunk out of an ear leather due to a rough game. Looks like an earmarking on a sheep! Has never been an issue.

But it's obviously an injury and not a defect. That's what you need to decide - try to look at these things from a complete stranger's perspective.

A missing eye could be from something like glaucoma so would not be permitted but scars and the odd chunk out are fine. I knew a top winning dog who was missing half an ear where his over zealous dam chewed it off while cleaning him after he was born. A few judges objected to it but most didn't care. It was the off show side ear do wasn't immediately noticable. I also know of two Grand Champions who finished their points with a toe missing from surgery for bone infections. Missing teeth are also fine in many breeds if you can clearly see the gap where they used to be.

A missing eye could be from something like glaucoma so would not be permitted but scars and the odd chunk out are fine. I knew a top winning dog who was missing half an ear where his over zealous dam chewed it off while cleaning him after he was born. A few judges objected to it but most didn't care. It was the off show side ear do wasn't immediately noticable. I also know of two Grand Champions who finished their points with a toe missing from surgery for bone infections. Missing teeth are also fine in many breeds if you can clearly see the gap where they used to be.

In the Xoloitzcuintle standard it is written that scars and notches ( ears) should not be penalised, I know of a Chinese Crested dog that was shown with many wins with one eye.

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

when Feather broke her tail so it healed with a kink, my vet offered to write me a letter to prove it was an injury not a birth defect. I would imagine if you had veterinary proof as to the cause it would help, but I dont show so I cannot be sure how judges would deal with it.

Theres a Schipp who went all the way to Supreme with half of his ear missing due to a fight in a kennel with another.

In Spitz breeds ears are important so obviously judges didn't worry about it, plus it was off show side too.

Only you can decide if the injury is too severe or not as to if the dog should be shown.

BB

I've often wondered about this. I picked up a bitch from the local handy trader as a bit of a rescue and she's a lovely bitch except that she broke her leg when she was younger and reset wasn't a particularly good job. I've never considered showing her, as while she doesn't exactly hobble around, I don't think she moves quite right.

There has been dogs shown with a missing eye but i would never do so personally ,i think there are scars & injuries that are showable & then some that aren't but it comes down to choice,

Our show Greys always had scars of some sought they tear open so easily on the simplest of things.

Many dogs are shown with scars & the likes .

I do now of a beardie & Setter shown with an amputated tail again i wouldn't but the owners where happy to show

Edited by showdog

I've won a Specialty Best In Show with a dog who had had a badly broken leg plated and screwed, which left a visible scar almost full length on his show side front leg.

A Westminster Best In Show winning Siberian Husky had only half of one of his ears after a kennel accident.

I think a lot depends upon the scar and the breed.

I've often wondered about this. I picked up a bitch from the local handy trader as a bit of a rescue and she's a lovely bitch except that she broke her leg when she was younger and reset wasn't a particularly good job. I've never considered showing her, as while she doesn't exactly hobble around, I don't think she moves quite right.

While scars are of no importance, sound movement is vital, so a broken leg that hasn't healed well enough for the dog to move correctly would put them out of the ring. Show dogs should be judged on breed type, correct construction and therefore movement and temperament. In most breeds cosmetic imperfections should be way down the list of importance.

While scars are of no importance, sound movement is vital, so a broken leg that hasn't healed well enough for the dog to move correctly would put them out of the ring. Show dogs should be judged on breed type, correct construction and therefore movement and temperament. In most breeds cosmetic imperfections should be way down the list of importance.

wouldnt it be nice IF they were down the list ( cosmetic imperfections!!) But then again its each Judges opinion on the day, we had a Xolo in Europe very good example with 1 ear surgically removed, I see a lot of dogs scared that are good examples, but I see a lot who dont have their skin looked after which I find totally unacceptable in the Xolo breed

I have a 14 mth old who was attacked quite badly when younger - he has 4 obvious puncture marks / scars (hair is growing back slowly) on his neck - jugular/off show side and 1 above his left eye - hair almost grown back there - the dog that got him was determined to crush his skull I think.

Some judges don't like it (one Specialty judge told me he was placed 2nd in his class due to this but was the better dog) but then others don't worry -he was put up for 2 CH, 1 BOB, 2 Puppy In Group and 1 Puppy In Show when it was still quite fresh (healed but obviously fresh). Some comment, so I tell them what happened - their only comment then is that his temperament wasn't affected.

I think it depends what the damage / injury is really. And if the judge doesn't like it then its no different to any other day you aren't on 1st place :).

I am in this unfortunate position at the moment. My Yorkie is on 86 points and has a badly injured eye which she will most probably have removed next week. I am going to continue to show her as she has beautiful confirmation and coat colouring and most judges have been impressed with her in the past so I am hoping that the good points will overcome the loss of the eye. In the end , I think it will depend on the individual judge. Some judges bring it down to which dog has the "prettiest" face.

I am in this unfortunate position at the moment. My Yorkie is on 86 points and has a badly injured eye which she will most probably have removed next week. I am going to continue to show her as she has beautiful confirmation and coat colouring and most judges have been impressed with her in the past so I am hoping that the good points will overcome the loss of the eye. In the end , I think it will depend on the individual judge. Some judges bring it down to which dog has the "prettiest" face.

Some do yes, but I find that the vast majority will put up the best dog. Regardless of the slight blemish it sounds like your girl is going to be just fine in getting her title - good luck :)