Have You Ever 'unbonded' With A Dog?

Cougar

Hi all.

Was just contemplating some things recently and got wondering if anyone has ever 'unbonded' (yes, made up word!) or grown indifferent to a dog that they've owned? Be that through circumstance, life events, anything really. So just though I'd ask the question and see.

Quite clearly there's a back story but I'm not entirely sure how fire proof my underwear is today!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had that happen to me thank goodness. I would be devastated if it did & would be wondering what I did wrong, to make a dog behave in such a way for me to become unbonded.

Make sure your underwear is extremely fireproof, if you decide to elaborate, just in case. :rofl:

nah mine are fireproof. I have days where I look at mine ( reactive) and wonder why I took him on. He inflicted some damage on one of my chickens and I found it very hard to look at him the same but luckily the chook recovered and he sort of helped the little chook who is my absolute favourite when she was attacked by neighbouring dog. Probably unintentionally because he was going to chase the dog whether it had the chook or not but that helped his image in my eyes a lot. I have only had him since March and it's been a bumpy ride so I can't say bonded then unbonded more just a wavering attachment.

I am not sure I have unbonded, because I don't think I bonded in the first place.

However when he was 18 months old it was very clear we didn't like each other much and when he went back to his breeder for some training and to see why we were not getting along I didn't miss him and he didn't miss me. Even when I went to visit he was totally indifferent and went off with someone he had known for a month.

He got rehomed to an older couple and they click straight away and he had a wonderful life . I also did becasue I wasn't tearing my hair out all the time. I got an older bitch from the same breeder and another following and lost my heart to both of them. I decided boys of that breed and I just were not meant for each other :)

Even though 2 of my girls will fight to the death over the silliest little thing they both may want, I love them both just as much as before. I just set a routine in place so that they aren't together ever, and we all get along just fine...

T.

I had a Border Collie, bred by a friend. I had him for about 10 months and rehomed him to a family with a teenage boy. We never bonded and I never really liked him all that much. He was just 'there'. I see two of his littermates regularly and they are doing well at trials and agility. I haven't thought about him for years.

I don't think I've ever unbonded with a dog but I've certainly not bonded with a couple. My old Lab and I have never been close, he's just not a breed I've ever had interest in and my eldest Samoyed bitch, we've just never really found common ground.

Yes. I had a bitch that initiated an attack on my gorgeous oldie Kayla who was asleep on her bed, she had over 100 stitches. I rehomed her to a single dog home

I have heard similar stories from folk who've had a dog maim or kill another one of theirs. Under those circumstances it would be hard to feel the same about a dog I think.

Guest Labradork

I have only ever unbonded temporarily with Poppy for a few seconds when she chews my laptop cord or something like that. I threaten to take her to the RSPCA where she can see how the other half lives.

No, but it took me a while to bond with my second dog. I also never really bonded with some past dogs. That's why I'm so picky about breed, upbringing and breeder now. I don't ever want to be in that situation again.

Having said that, I don't think I bond easily. It takes a while for me to get really close to a dog. I'm the same with people. Although, strangely, I bonded instantly with my first heart dog.

Oh, and if that has happened to you, I don't think there's anything to feel bad about, though I do think it's unusual, and I would look at mitigating circumstances with critical interest.

I got a puppy once, many years ago, and we just did not connect for some reason. I persevered for a year or so, but in the end found her another home (a much better one and they adored her).

Hard to say why. She frustrated me and I stressed her out. We just weren't suited.

All my other dogs have been great and we've got along beautifully.

Only other exception was a pound dog I brought home last Xmas. He attacked my older dog. After a few days and many tears (and surgery for her) he had to be returned to the pound. I don't think I'd really had time to really bond with him. I was gutted but it wasn't a true 'unbonding' experience. It was an enormous relief to have him gone and my old dog safe and recovering.

No, but it took me a while to bond with my second dog. I also never really bonded with some past dogs. That's why I'm so picky about breed, upbringing and breeder now. I don't ever want to be in that situation again.

Having said that, I don't think I bond easily. It takes a while for me to get really close to a dog. I'm the same with people. Although, strangely, I bonded instantly with my first heart dog.

Oh, and if that has happened to you, I don't think there's anything to feel bad about, though I do think it's unusual, and I would look at mitigating circumstances with critical interest.

OMG I could have written this post. I've had an interesting dog ownership life - my first dog now lives with my ex (much to my dismay, he's my phone background and it HURTS seeing him even regularly cos I just want him around 24/7, I adore him), my second - and heart - dog was a hoarder/farmer rescue and was PTS due to multiple health issues and dementia after 2 beautiful years. It's taken me almost 2 years to bond with my current dog, and that only really happened when I got dog number 4, who has made me realise all of Scooter's strong points and just compliments him so beautifully.

edit: ummm, this is Panzer Attack. Oops.

Edited by Luke W

I have only ever unbonded temporarily with Poppy for a few seconds when she chews my laptop cord or something like that. I threaten to take her to the RSPCA where she can see how the other half lives.

I dare say most of us have done this, when one of our little buggers does something really naughty. After about 10 minutes & we have calmed down, we realise we still love them, even with their flaws. :laugh:

Guest Labradork

I dare say most of us have done this, when one of our little buggers does something really naughty. After about 10 minutes & we have calmed down, we realise we still love them, even with their flaws. :laugh:

The worst thing she ever did was wee all over the kitchen floor, then pull down my clean washing off the table onto the floor, and then roll around in the wee-soaked clothes. I did the washing all over again, cleaned the floor and gave her a bath. Then she went outside and rolled around in the garden and got all muddy.

I swear I almost took her back to the breeder that day :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

Yes. I had a bitch that initiated an attack on my gorgeous oldie Kayla who was asleep on her bed, she had over 100 stitches. I rehomed her to a single dog home

I have heard similar stories from folk who've had a dog maim or kill another one of theirs. Under those circumstances it would be hard to feel the same about a dog I think.

I have no doubt that my Labrador would maim or kill my Rotti/Pittie cross if they were ever to be allowed to get into a scrap again. They both stll bear the scars from their last fight a few years ago, which is a constant reminder to me of why they are separated.

On the other hand, I couldn't rehome either of them either - as I know exactly what they are capable of if triggered off. Good thing I love them both to death and can manage to keep them here and keep them separate... but don't think all those evil thoughts about one or both of them didn't cross my mind after the last fight they had...

T.