Have You Ever 'unbonded' With A Dog?

Cougar

Yes. I had a bitch that initiated an attack on my gorgeous oldie Kayla who was asleep on her bed, she had over 100 stitches. I rehomed her to a single dog home

I have heard similar stories from folk who've had a dog maim or kill another one of theirs. Under those circumstances it would be hard to feel the same about a dog I think.

I have no doubt that my Labrador would maim or kill my Rotti/Pittie cross if they were ever to be allowed to get into a scrap again. They both stll bear the scars from their last fight a few years ago, which is a constant reminder to me of why they are separated.

On the other hand, I couldn't rehome either of them either - as I know exactly what they are capable of if triggered off. Good thing I love them both to death and can manage to keep them here and keep them separate... but don't think all those evil thoughts about one or both of them didn't cross my mind after the last fight they had...

T.

To be honest if the vet would have done it she would have been pts on the day of the attack. I tried to get past it but it was a totally unprovoked attack on a gorgeous gentle oldie. I found it impossible to forgive her and after much thought and soul searching rehomed her as an only dog.

I have a friend who had a terrible incident where a strange bitch got into the whelping room and killed the newborn puppies. I really wish she had rehomed this dog. It was fed and got the care needed but it was never forgiven. She could have been someone's loved pet as she was a lovely dog.

I can't believe the vet refused to PTS! :confused: What grounds did he/she give?

If one of my young dogs attacked one of my seniors like that it would be curtains for sure.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never unbonded or not bonded with any of my pets - but I was surprised how instant my bond was with my most recent dog Booker. I remember the drive home after I picked him up, he just snuggled into me & that was it.

It's just like we bond and get along with some people, and we bond and get along well with some dogs, and not others.

There were times when I had my Beagle boy that I wondered what had ever made me adopt him, but that was when he was being a pain in the bum :lol: and I will admit that dog taught me so much.

I think personally that you are either a hound person or you aren't. I'd never had hounds before and wasn't very familar with them before I got my Beagle but learnt very quickly and ended up getting a greyhound as well! I think I will always have a hound of some sort.

I lost my Beagle boy two years ago and my Dalmatian 12 months ago and so my greyhound girl is an only dog now and is the apple of my eye. I love her to bits and she knows it. She's like my child. My partner who usually loves dogs isn't overly fond of her and she isn't a real fan of his either, I actually think they are jealous of each other as I have had my dog longer.

It may be a good idea to put the feelers out and see if there is a more suitable home for your boy, Maybe stay open to the possibility of finding him a great new home, but know that he will always have a home and be well cared for with you if that doesn't happen.