Dog Central Day Care

Joypod

I want to share with you all what I've learnt today about a business I thought was reputable and responsible.

The background:

I had been taking my two to Chelie Jones at Dog Central Day Care in Yarraville for over 3 years. Sometimes they'd stay for overnight stays and sometimes those overnight stays were one, two or even three weeks long. I'd always felt comfortable leaving my dogs with Chelie because their policy was that the dogs would go home with a carer for their overnight stay and I never had a reason to doubt they were being cared for.

What I've learnt:

The dogs were NOT being taken home by carers. They were being left in the warehouse unattended overnight.

Chelie Jones has left a trail of disgruntled employees, some who haven't been paid wages or super (see Facebook page: Dog Central Day Care - The Facts).

Ex-employees warning all dog owners to stay clear because of the general poor conditions and treatment of the dogs they've witnessed.

I ended up speaking with Chelie Jones this afternoon. I asked her why no one had let me know the Yarraville office had closed as I had my two booked in over Christmas. She said 'someone' would have contacted me closer to the date. Not good enough! I would have preferred to know BEFORE it was closed. When I asked why she closed it, she said, "the f-ing land lord doubled the rent so I told him to f-off". Charming.

I then asked her about an article a friend had sent me just this afternoon which described the dogs being left overnight in the warehouse instead of being taken home with a carer. She said, and I quote, "I'm over it, I don't give a shit anymore".... and hung up. Seems to me she never gave much of a shit in the first place.

What a quality human being this lady has turned out to be. Until today, I was totally unaware of any of this but it hasn't taken me long to uncover a number of newspaper article about people less than happy with Chelie's service. Just Google search the company name and you'll see what I mean.

I feel terrible that I've referred friends to this business and I feel even worse knowing I've subjected my two precious dogs to her care. I now dread to think what they might have been subjected to.

I hope the remainder of her offices are closed down and she's banned from holding any sort of business licence for the rest of her life. AND i hope she reads this!

I feel terrible that I've referred friends to this business and I feel even worse knowing I've subjected my two precious dogs to her care. I now dread to think what they might have been subjected to.

If it's any consolation the staff were probably lovely to your dogs. It sounds like they've been dicked around too. Good luck finding something for Xmas, terrible that she didnt bother informing you. :mad

I can't stop looking at how cute Daisy is in the photo at the bottom of your posts. I'm sure no-one at this centre could possibly treat a dog badly with a face like that.

Haha... thanks pepe001. She is a very pretty girl and very dear to me. :)

What I forgot to mention was that she still has an office operating in North Melbourne and possibly another in Brunswick. I've also learnt (during my research tonight) she might be considering changing the business name.

So, my advice is, don't board your beloved pooch with ANY day care or boarding facility run by this lady. Regardless of what she's calling the company.

Call me weird but why would anyone be happy for a staff member to take there dogs home overnight without evening knowing there setup??

Did they go home & live in crates.pens or what??

How many dogs did the careers take home ,where they covered by insurance when off the property .

Call me weird but why would anyone be happy for a staff member to take there dogs home overnight without evening knowing there setup??

Did they go home & live in crates.pens or what??

How many dogs did the careers take home ,where they covered by insurance when off the property .

Well, yes, and hind-sight really is 20:20 vision. My mistake was trusting what I was being told.

For example, I asked Chelie who was taking Gus and Daisy home and she told me they went home with her because they got along so well with her other two dogs. She talked of them snuggling on the couch together, playing and sleeping together.

I trusted what she told me and had no reason not to. My two never came home looking or behaving like anything untoward had happened and they were always really excited when I dropped them off.

That's why I was so horrified to learn the truth... and the pieces started to fall into place. Like, there were maybe 50 or more dogs there at any one time but I never saw more than maybe 3 or 4 people working there. Soooo, how could all the dogs go home with a carer??? Seems obvious now but when you want to believe something, you generally do. I wanted to believe I was leaving my two very precious dogs with someone who genuinely cared about them and their welfare and I had no reason to believe otherwise.

And that's why I feel terrible that I WAS so trusting. And I thank people like Moo Moo Monster for coming forward and letting us all know what really goes on there.

Always pays to do your research on any dog business.

There were complaints from 2 years ago.

HERE

I read that article and a few others just the other day. I'd been taking the dogs there for more than 3 years and had no reason to 'investigate' them until now. I wish I had. :mad

JoyPod, The brunswick branch closed down several months ago Thank Goodness!!!

There was an article in our local Leader paper about neighbors in the area complaining of dogs barking/howling at night as they were

left alone.

I did work exp there awhile ago as it was close to home, and it was not a nice place for dogs. Some staff loved the dogs and some didn't.

I saw the North Melb branch briefly once and it looked ok, the staff had many negative stories about Chellie and the other owners.

Do not allow your dog or others to go on the Bush walk days or whatever they call it now, transport is shocking and I could tell you more about that

privatly.

BB

• 8 months later...

I took Roo to the North Melbourne place to daycare today, as my absolutely wonderful normal place is not open on weekends.

It had changed it's name, and the girl I saw when I dropped Roo off said it was under completely new management, but when I picked Roo up Chelie Jones the old manager was there.

The reason I am posting in what I know is a really old thread, is that I saw Chelie, in front of me, beat a beautiful bulldog. She hit it twice hard in the face. I asked if it was her dog, she said it wasn't it. That means someone who trusted their loved pet into the care of the place has no idea it has been abused.

Who knows what happened to Roo. I am so upset. This has to be stopped.

Please if anyone is reading this do not take your dogs to this place in North Melbourne, under any circumstances.

I would have thought hard about smacking her in the face had that been my dog. I'd heard some pretty awful things from a friend who worked in the Yarraville branch along the same lines. I will certainly be doing a lot of research before I board Gus anywhere around here.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise this person had more branches, let alone a new name.

If it's not inappropriate, what is the new name?

Just so I can steer WELL clear...haha.

Guest hankodie

What a disgusting human being. How is she still able to work in the pet industry? I'd sue the everloving crap out of her if I caught her doing that to my dogs. I hope Roo is OK :(

Hi all. Roo seems just fine. She is a quiet dog so probably wasn't on the receiving end of any rage. Unlike to bulldog. It was horrible.

I stupidly can't remember the name exactly, it had the word dog and the words Trust or Care in the title and the new signed were green and purple. I didn't realise it was important until pick up, and then i just wanted to get Roo away from there as quickly as possible.

I had not thought about reporting to the RSPCA. Thank you. There were also at least 20 dogs there and only one staff member..... surely that isn't right? And it was 5.00pm on Saturday, their closing time, so they can't all have been daycare dogs? So where will they all sleep? So many questions