New Puppy Training Questions

haylz27

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been on here. Since then we have got a new member to our family! Here he is, Merlin our 10 week Australian Shepherd. :)

602659_10152299666445492_1314031183_n.jpg

It's been a while since I've had a puppy and trained one for that matter, and back then we only had the one dog.

He already knows how to sit.

How long would you say it takes for a puppy to know his name? He still does not respond to his name and want to know some ways that I can teach it to him. I also want to teach him to come when called, inside he's ok sometimes but of course outside has more distractions so he pays no attention to me, only if I have one of his toys. This probably sounds stupid, but what can I expect him to learn at 10 weeks? :) I think I might be expecting too much. I'd appreciate any advice on teaching him his name, how to pay attention, come when called and what kind of training I should be doing with him at this age.. I'm wondering whether or not to clicker train him. I clicker trained Indi when she was a puppy so maybe I'll see how he goes. So excited for this little man! Thank you everyone! :thumbsup:

Sooo cute

Congratulations on your new addition

May or may not be helpful but....

when my boy was a pup, i would divide his daily dry food into small containers and leave them around the place, so i could access them easily and quickly, then through out the day i was able to recall him to come and be able to reward him.

He then learnt his name, to come and that rewards didnt just come from my treat bag when training.

Good luck and have fun!

Small investment that is so well worth it - the DVD Really Reliable Recall by Leslie Nelson. It's soooo good and teaches you how to train a really good recall (come when called) from baby puppies through to adult dogs.

Is Merlin food motivated? In my experience Aussies are :laugh: puppies respond to high pitched sound as well, I'd suggest when he's within arms reach call a (very) high pitched, happy "MERlin". The instant he looks at you you say "yes" in a happy voice and shove a treat in his mouth. As he starts to respond straight away by looking at you, be standing up and take a couple of steps backwards once he looks at you. His automatic response should be to come after you, once he reaches you, "yes", treat and then lots of praise. You want to get this down at home with low distractions before you try it out and about.

And again, I can't recommend the DVD highly enough :)

ETA - there isn't really a "should" with puppies as they are all different but I don't think it's too much to expect him to react to his name now, once you show him what great rewards he gets when he does react.

Edited by Simply Grand