best4koda

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm trying to source Hills Z/D Low allergen kibble for Koda. She's been doing fine on that but it's now costing us $190 a bag from the vet here in Karratha wa. Most placed online either don't deliver to WA or are out of stock. Does anyone know where I can source this product from. Is there an issue with supply? The vet has had delays in getting it as well.

Thanks.

My boy was on z/d for over a year and then the vet had the same problems, could not get it.

after trying a coulpe of different one's and doing some research we have settled on Canidae Sky grain free

and he is doing even better then when he was on z/d

look for game meats and grain free

hope you find something that suits Koda

Our vets finally got some in (the Hills Liver Diet one). They rang a week and a half ago to say its finally come in, and I said well i dont want it now lol

Renae has been on the Hills Kidney one, and its lasting forever because I am only giving her a small handful these days (for tea) with lots of veges, as shes wacked on heaps of weight !

Her last blood test showed her liver enzimes levels had gone back to almost normal. If they have gone back up when she has her next blood test, I will get the pkt they ordered in, unless its been sold in the meantime. Its the biggest bag, so its not cheap!

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this thread as my parents have to now put Pippin on L/D. We haven't been able to get the dry so he's on the canned at the moment. Has anyone been able to find the dry since?

Sorry to hear about your little girl jans :(.

Hi, I'm trying to source Hills Z/D Low allergen kibble for Koda. She's been doing fine on that but it's now costing us $190 a bag from the vet here in Karratha wa. Most placed online either don't deliver to WA or are out of stock. Does anyone know where I can source this product from. Is there an issue with supply? The vet has had delays in getting it as well.

Thanks.

As a starting point, you can try Canidae Free Grain range.

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-362/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/GRAIN-FREE.aspx

I must confess I'm no expert with allergens, but I know it's usually triggered by grains.

I do confidently know however that Sc Diet and Royal Canine 'vet' or 'medical' looking range are usualy on a very low quality one. Yes, they maybe free from allergens but they are generally rated very poorly.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/?s=science+diet

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Found this thread as my parents have to now put Pippin on L/D. We haven't been able to get the dry so he's on the canned at the moment. Has anyone been able to find the dry since?

Sorry to hear about your little girl jans :(.

Last time I went to the vets the dry was still out of stock. They have an order in for and haven't called so I assume it still hasn't turned up. I am using the K/D dry instead at the moment.

I do confidently know however that Sc Diet and Royal Canine 'vet' or 'medical' looking range are usualy on a very low quality one. Yes, they maybe free from allergens but they are generally rated very poorly.

Really? I think if you look at the ratings you will see that they haven't rated the prescription range because they understand that the rules change when treating an illness.

Ive got a big bag of it waiting for me at the vets that finally came in , but Renae's levels are normal atm (even tho shes still not well) and because ive got the kidney diet one they suggested as a substitute., I haven't needed to buy it .. I said they can sell it to someone else that has a dog with liver issues, I dont think they too happy with me, but too bad I ordered it ages ago when I was desperate for it.. Its over $100 !

Really? I think if you look at the ratings you will see that they haven't rated the prescription range because they understand that the rules change when treating an illness.

I'm not sure how are you going to change the game. If it's 1-star rating, it's like buying the cheapest junk dog food from the supermaket.

I've nothing against cheap supermaket dog food cos I know of dog owners who use them and that's fine..., but if it's priced at the top end for a psuedo scientific premium food, then it makes you wonder what's going on. All the junk by product meats (that is not 'meat meal'), low graded filler, cancer causing presevatives (banned for human food use), allergy causing corn, soya, etc makes you wonder what the heck are they sitting in an animal hospital or vet clinic. So, that you can re-visit the vet more?!?

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=hills

Heh man, take a look at the reviews and make an informed decision.

Edited by Jess 123

Jess you seem to have found a website and taken it as gospel. The prescription range is vet prescribed food for dogs that can't tolerate normal food. For example, julesp's dog has a liver shunt and would die on normal dog food. She needs a very low protein diet and that means lots of "filler" foods - they keep her alive.

Most of the people here are very knowledgeable about diet and feed their dogs what they do well on - not on what some website with undeclared interests says.

ETA: some peole here have researched dog food for years, tried different things out. It sounds condescending that someone who seems to have just read a website to tell them to make informed decisions.

Edited by megan_

Jess you seem to have found a website and taken it as gospel. The prescription range is vet prescribed food for dogs that can't tolerate normal food. For example, julesp's dog has a liver shunt and would die on normal dog food. She needs a very low protein diet and that means lots of "filler" foods - they keep her alive.

Most of the people here are very knowledgeable about diet and feed their dogs what they do well on - not on what some website with undeclared interests says.

ETA: some peole here have researched dog food for years, tried different things out. It sounds condescending that someone who seems to have just read a website to tell them to make informed decisions.

ETA? Estimated Time Of Arrival?

Agree, some people have done much researched for years. And part of the resarch could be as simple as analytically looking at the nutrition contents...which is what these reviews are all about. It's pretty objective. You & I can deduce a very similar conclusions with it. The reviews is just a piece of paper and as you rightly pointed out, not all top rating dog food are suitable for certain dogs. Some just failed miserably.

All I'm saying is, have a look at the reviewed ingredients and if you feel it's 'bad' then consider another product. Yes, the vet may say go with what they kept in store but I'm sure if they could be confronted with exactly what her dog can eat, there should be plan B.

To be candid, I'm quite dumbfounded that a Julesp dog needs more filler type dog food. Looking at the reviews of Hills Pet Nutrition Hills Prescription K/D ...I'm not trying to be an ass here but if the dog prefers more filler and no real meat stuff, then there should be quite a handful to choose from in the common supermaket.

I seriously don't get this. For example, the starter of this topic mentioned that he/she needs allergen free dog food. I would then ask the vet exactly what the dog is allergic to. If it's grain (the most likely candidate), then grab some of those grain-free range from various brands. The 'Hills Z/D' ingredients is just..nasty!

It's similar to human condition. If my doctor says I'm lacking Vit C and he said to buy his home made orange juice then I may buy some, but I would also consider to buy grapefruit from somewhere else or even the Home Brand blackcurrent juice. Let's put it this way, Hills stuff are not medicine! They are just food that was marketed to have a medicine look and feel. It's a game changer if the doctor is actually prescribing me and selling an official medicine and not regular food.

My dog does not have allergies. Her liver doesn't work properly and can not process meat. Therefore she has to eat a vegetarian diet. The diet also needs to be low in sodium and also needs to be low purine.

For my dog soy is not a 'filler' is is quality protein that is easier for her liver to process.

Hills L/D is not the best diet for a dog with the condition my dog has, RC Hepatic is. This is not available in Australia.

Cheap supermarket food is actually better for Amber then super premium food. It would still make her sick though as it has meat products in it.

The last time I gave her a lamp flap she had a seizure.