Pancreatitis In Dogs

SeeGee

Friends of mine have a lovely older boxer who has pancreatitis. At their vets advice, they are feeding one of the special hills science diet.

We were talking on Friday night, and I mentioned I fed my 2 beagles raw. Can a dog with pancreatitis be fed a raw diet? They want the best for their lovely old dog, and like the idea of a raw diet.

They are going to talk to their own vet, but with their permission, they are happy for me to ask the question to the DOL community.

Edited by SeeGee

A few of ours have had it after a particularly fat bit of brisket (acute attacks). They are still fed a raw diet but don't get fatty bones and not much fat on their meat.

Not sure if she feeds rice/pasta etc but a holistic vet once mentioned to us that pasta and white rice can be very bad for dogs prone to pancreatitis. They generally won't cause an attack themselves but something in them (no idea what) can build up in a dogs system and then the next time they have something fatty it pushes them over the edge. I know of someone (no connection to this vet) who had a dog with chronic pancreatitis that switched their dog to brown rice and have had no issues since.

I'm not sure what they fed her before but I know for sure that now she is only being fed the science diet, def no pasta and rice. Thank for that info though because once every blue moon we do go a the beagles left over white rice (so not to waste).... I def will not do that anymore.

Jules, thanks for asking your friend when you do. Much appreciated :)

One of my dogs had pancreatitis. For the rest of his life, he was fed raw meat and vegetables. Low fat or no fat meat, no bones with marrow, and a high % of fruit and veges - maybe about 60%. He did well, never had a problem with him. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the details, but the main thing is to remember low fat - he also had raw eggs, and fish + minerals and vitamins.

I think chicken may be too fatty - the frames would probably be ok with those fatty "flaps" some frames have chopped off. My boy had minced bone in chicken mince .... but not very much of it. I couldn't access kangaroo, but it is very low fat.

Awesome thanks Jed. I'm thinking kangaroo meat as its pretty lean... Not sure about chicken frame mince?

If you removed the fat and minced the frames yourself, probably okay. Otherwise, I'd avoid them as frames have a lot of fat on them.

For meats, roo, rabbit, horse or venison are probably the best options in terms of fat content.

My lab developed pancreatitis and thankfully hasn't had another attack.

She was on raw before and we modified her diet somewhat to exclude most fat.

She gets lean beef mince (preservative free). Most chicken mince will be high in fat and will also include the skin, unless you can mince it yourself. Cans of sardines, tuna and pink salmon, all in springwater. (No mackeral as it is very high in fats ). Non fat yoghurt. Turkey necks with all the skin off. Roo tails once a week. As a treat I buy her chicken breast from the butcher and dice it up for her. I also give her carrots and bananas.

Happy Paws treats are low fat and they are made by a Doler. Her banner it at the top.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what you can feed!

the thing that most people know is that pancreatitis can be caused by dogs being fat, or excess fat in a dogs diet.

All that hills and the manufactured food companies seem to do is use lots of grains and have low fat. Lots of grains can cause allergies themselves.

Unless your vet gives a real reason why a carnivore dog cant have meat, then I imagine low fat meat would be fine. You can probably even use chicken breast (skin off) or lean beef (all fat carved off).

Hope that helps.

Edited by DOGPERSON

We feed turkey necks and the human grade kangaroo from woollies. We avoid grains where possible....except for the prescription kibble...if we can move off that soon I would be happy. We have been told to remove chicken all together due to fat content. As a rule we do low fat everything and it seems to be working.

• 4 weeks later...