My Dogs Are Scared Of My Air Conditioner Help!

Holmesy

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this should go into the training forum or general but I have a bit of a problem with summer fast approaching.

I have a year old Bullmastiff and a 5 month old Mastiff and whenever I try putting on the air conditioner, they both go into a wild panic and charge straight for the doggy door. They will not come back inside until the air conditioner has been turned off. It is a little bit funny to see two rather large dogs flee at the sound, but on the other hand, it's going to be a hot summer and i'd rather not have to endure it without air conditioning.. and in all honesty, if I cannot overcome their fear, I will not be switching it on.

A bit about the air conditioner.. it is just your standard reverse cycle wall mounted air conditioner. It's actually very quiet.. just a low humming. I am thinking it could possibly be creating high pitched noises that I cannot hear that is hurting the dogs but I am not sure. Although it's usually very quiet in my house, both of my dogs have no problems with the washing machine which is a lot of noise. They do have a problem with the vacuum cleaner but that's another issue.

Has anyone had a similar problem and are able to share how they helped their dogs overcome their fear? My dogs are both very very food driven, but even food does not seem to win the battle over the air conditioner. :(

Edited by Holmesy

I'd do what Aussie did, but, just in case someone suggests this - please DO NOT block the doggy door. They need an escape if they are really scared. Let them determine when they will come inside. Just leave it on for a few hours and see if there is any difference. Carry on as usual, because you know the air con isn't going to hurt you :) .

I'd do what Aussie did, but, just in case someone suggests this - please DO NOT block the doggy door. They need an escape if they are really scared. Let them determine when they will come inside. Just leave it on for a few hours and see if there is any difference. Carry on as usual, because you know the air con isn't going to hurt you :) .

Yes second that, if you shut the door they could get really panicked :(

Shutting the doggy door was not going to be an option for 3 reasons lol.. 1. Alamo wees when he gets frightened, 2. Dogs do need an escape route and 3. If I locked the doggy door I think that Tin Tin would still plow through it. One time I accidentally left her outside with the doggy door locked.. she broke doggy door off trying to get back inside.

I will try your suggestions aussie and megan thank you. I think I was a bit premature the last time I tried and turned it off after 20 minutes or so.

My DeeDee is (or should I say, was) petrified of the little floor fan heater and also my cross trainer. In both cases I just carry on as normal and not make a big deal of it. One thing I made a point of especially was not to make a fuss at all if she actually made a step towards the thing of terror. I would keep acting exactly the same no matter how she reacted. So ofetn peopl leap all over their dog trying to praise it for making progress & end up worrying the dog more by this new unusual behaviour. DeeDee eventually came around to both.

I would put the dogs outdoors or better still get someone to take them for a walk on a mild day for a while and turn the airconditioner on before they come in/return so its going when they enter the house. Also see if it's the actual airflow & humming noise they react to, or is it just the silly beep it makes & the initial whoosh when you first turn it on? Whatever it is I would avoid actually turning it on in front of the dogs.