Gaining

Free stacking

Getting the best out of your dog

Keeping your dog happy in the ring

Problem solving

Do's and dont's

Mouthing dogs yourself for judges

Ring etiquette

Beginners lessons on all of above as well as old hands that would like to learn more or sharpen skills

Hope that helps :)

Everything that MM said, but elaborating on a couple of the "do's and don'ts" and ring etiquette:

** going around slower moving dogs

** not running up the back of other dogs

** stacking in a line-up leaving space

** listening to stewards and acknowledging calls

The only other thing I would add for newbies: they often like people to explain how to read a schedule and complete an entry form. Not within the scope of the original question, however having another person along to deal with this information would also be useful.

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to be able to access a handlers course!!! Everything listed in the above posts says what I need!! The only thing I would add on is information for new people just about how the whole system works. What is a challenge line-up, how are points calculated, how do you know if the judge has "passed" (don't know the correct terminology!) your dog if you are the only one in your class, etc. That last bit I'm finding confusing as we are the only one in our class at the moment frequently and the judges often just look at my dog and say "ok, thanks". So I'm assuming that means we have won first in the class and go to challenge line-up and usually then to group line-up (as we literally are usually the only one in the class!!). But it would be nice for judges to actually tell us that we are moving up. What do they say if they don't award you the place? I think it would be nice if there were some sort of class, information, whatever that just helps new people who have had no exposure at all to dog showing what all these things are about!!

Your steward is the person that gives the info

Many judges don't say alot ,they acknowledge the steward who will say Aust male first/CC & BOB or just BOB & then you leave.

There isn't alot of chat because it adds to time spent during the day

Generally if they no award they call the steward over & say non award,some may explain why or they may say nothing ,

http://dogsnsw.org.au/activities-a-events/showing-your-dog.html?showall=1

This may help explain some things more

Thanks showdog! The last show I was at the steward said very little to me, thus I worked on assumptions!! She actually even forgot us for group, we were supposed to be there and she realised that when almost everyone was in (not that we really had a chance but it's my practice time and who knows one day maybe it will be us!!) so in we went!!! Other shows I've been to the the judge will say go to the first place post or the steward announces what we are. It's just been recently this hasn't happened and so becomes confusing for a newbie like me who is already stressed trying to remember what to do and make my dog look good in a really short period of time!!!

I haven't been a a show training class myself... availability and proximity are important to me (and have been an issue)... but also knowing that the person doing the training is someone I would want to learn from, that I can watch that person in the ring and think 'yes, that is how I would like to handle'. If I thought someone's behaviour in the ring was unsportsmanly or unbecoming, I wouldn't want to pay good money to learn from them. There is someone I have seen who handles themselves well in the ring, presents well and behaves well.. just a shame they're too far away!

I would contribute more but not having done a class I'm not really sure what is normal for one anyway.