Abc 1 @ 7.30 Tuesday

Curlybert

Apparently the 7.30 program on ABC 1 tonight features a story on 'disposable dogs' in Japan. Over 100,000 a year put down. I know no more than that. Will comment though that that figure is about on par with Australia's pound euthanasia rate for dogs. Nothing to be proud of in either case.

Apparently the 7.30 program on ABC 1 tonight features a story on 'disposable dogs' in Japan. Over 100,000 a year put down. I know no more than that. Will comment though that that figure is about on par with Australia's pound euthanasia rate for dogs. Nothing to be proud of in either case.

I gather there wont be a comparison to total population of the country and total numbers of pet population and a percantage comparison?

when we keep hearing of the 270,000 aussie dogs inpounded they ignore the millions of known recorded pets or the acutal percentage that 270,000, NOW THAT is what isnot being mentioned.

the huge percentage still with their owners.

Just googled. there are 127,817,277 - ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SEVEN MILLION, EIGHT HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN THOUSAND, TWO HUNRED AND SEVENTY SEVEN people in Japan as at 2011

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-most-pet-dog-population.html

JAPAN 9,650,000 thats NINE MILLION, SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY, THOUSAND DOGS THAT ARE PETS IN JAPAN.

And

22,620,600 - TWENTY TWO MILLION, SIX HUNDREDAND TWENTY THOUSAND AND SIX HUNDRED People in australia as at 2011

Pet ownership statistics

http://www.ava.com.au/news/media-centre/hot-topics-4

The pet population of Australia to be around 38.2 million, this includes 3.75 million dogs, while the cat population was 2.43 million. The remainder is made up of fish, birds and other pets (including rabbits, guinea pigs, and other small animals).

New South Wales and Victoria account for 58.5 per cent of pets throughout Australia. New South Wales has the most pets with a total of 13.19 million pets while Victoria has the second highest number of pets with 9.16 million.

Tasmania was the leading state for dog and cat ownership per 100 people.

It is estimated that around 63 per cent of Australian households own some type of pet, with 53 per cent owning a cat or a dog.

(Data from 2005 The Australian Companion Animal Council publication, Contribution of the pet care industry to the Australian economy.)

puts it very much in perspecive how few percent end up in pounds does IT NOT?

Edited by asal

On Facebook I received a share about a shelter in Korea where sometimes the dogs die in the freezing conditions. Many people there buy animals but don't keep them very long.

A very sad state of affairs.

Australia is not much better - I met someone on Sat night who is a byb and comes from a family that has always gotten rid of their pets for various reasons. I tried to explain the whole situation but the person was not remotely interested. I don't feel that it is an excuse to come from a family that dumps their pets, someone can still think for themselves once they reach adulthood.

CAN some one please explain to this dum dum where the 3.75 million dogs, came from?

considering othe figures are there that the maximum bred by registered breeders comes to 60,000 a year across ALL BREEDS?

CAN some one please explain to this dum dum where the 3.75 million dogs, came from?

considering othe figures are there that the maximum bred by registered breeders comes to 60,000 a year across ALL BREEDS?

It is 3.75 million dogs owned, not bred every year.

It is 3.75 million dogs owned, not bred every year.

cant find the quote but apparently to maintain that number of dogs owned, there needs to be seriously more than 375,000 born every year to replace death by old age and accidents so they are coming from somewhere