Urinary Tract Infections

kayla1

Early this morning I noticed a slight change in the toileting patterns of my older girl Kayla, and also found some blood in her urine. So I took her straight to the vet and she was diagnosed with a UTI, and has started a course of antibiotics.

I did a search on here and read that supplements such as cranberry and inner health plus or yoghurt might be beneficial. Does anyone know if these supplements are given just until the infection clears, or are they for long-term use to prevent recurrences? Thanks.

My pug had recurring uti's from when she was around 4 months old and I keep her on cranberry all the time.

No inner health plus while on anti biotics, but natural yogurt is yummy and good for them but has nothing to do with uti's.

Edited by minimax

My girl is always on cranberry tablets.

She hasn't had a UTI for nearly 3 years :crossfingers:

I know this is a dog health section, but I suffer with them a fair bit too from my diabetes. I have some cranberry tablets, but i keep forgetting to take them ! arghhh!

Your reply CRC has reminded me to start taking them again ! :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Any of your dogs that are having recurring UTI's, you should (if you haven't already) keep check with the vets that its not the start of diabetes. Its probably not, but just pays to keep an eye on things. They can't always tell straight away if its early stages.

Not saying any of your dogs have diabetes, but keep an eye on things.

Sorry for my short reply before, was on my phone.

Can reply properly now!

My pug had constant UTI's because her urine was extremely alkaline which allowed the bacteria to grow. She was on meds to increase the acidity for quite a long time, after diet changes and natural methods didn't help. She had a lot of crystals in her urine too, visible to the naked eye.

There didn't seem to be any reason for the urine issues, and the pH of her urine got better after about 9 months and she doesn't need the meds anymore, but I put cranberry powder in with her food anyway, just a "it doesn't hurt" measure.

Both my pugs also get natural yoghurt with their brekky, but thats coz its good bacteria in their gut, that doesn't help urinary issues at all. If you've never given it before, start it slowly as it can cause sloppy poops if you give too much.

Im thinking I might start Renae on some natural yoghurt especially as shes now on AB's, and will be for a while.

which brand do you get minimax ?

I prefer Pauls, but Coles doesn't sell it so if I'm at Coles I get ... uh, the one in a roundish tub with a green lid, but if I'm at Woolies I get Pauls.

(Jalna, just looked it up!)

I prefer Pauls, but Coles doesn't sell it so if I'm at Coles I get ... uh, the one in a roundish tub with a green lid, but if I'm at Woolies I get Pauls.

Ok thanks! I'm closer to a woolies, so will have a look tomorrow when I do my shopping :)

I wont start her off with too much as she does have a bit of weak stomach, well from veges she does :o

How much would you have to give them daily to be effective?

I sometimes have the flavoured Jalna ones :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Ok thanks! I'm closer to a woolies, so will have a look tomorrow when I do my shopping :)

I wont start her off with too much as she does have a bit of weak stomach, well from veges she does :o

How much would you have to give them daily to be effective?

I sometimes have the flavoured Jalna ones :)

I don't measure mine, they have been on yoghurt pretty much since they were on solids so they are able to tolerate it, but I think they get anywhere between one or two tablespoons each day. Depends on how awake I am when I'm dishing up brekkie :laugh:

I don't have a photo on this computer I don't think, but my pugs love their yoghurt. They smoosh their faces in and come out after brekky with it everywhere - sometimes even their foreheads :rofl:

No need to apologise Jules, it's useful info for all of us!

Thanks for the tips. :)

Kayla hasn't had a UTI before, well not since I've had her anyway, but she's on cortisone treatment which can make them more susceptible. Her urine was acidic though, not alkaline, so I wonder if cranberry would still be useful?

• 8 months later...

Bumping an old topic to inquire about cranberry tablets.

My 3 year old Labrador, Ruby, has just finished up a course of antibiotics to treat a UTI. There were concerns there were stones (or even something more), but the ultrasound didn't show anything, and subsequent urine tests haven't shown crystals; the most recent test was done today. However, even after the 10 day course of antibiotics and a meat only diet for the past 2 weeks, the pH level of her urine is still very high. Ruby is fed a premium brand of dog biscuits (Royal Canin or Nutro) and this was the first incidence of a bladder problem.

The vet has said that she can go back to her usual diet, but has advised me to soak the biscuits in 4-5 times the amount of water before giving them to her as a way to get more fluid into her diet.

Any other advice? Also, where do you get cranberry tablets from, and how much/when do you give? Thanks :)

Also, instead of soaking food , how about offering her salt free chicken stock drinks , or watered down lactose free milk several times during the day - little & often , rather than gulping a big bowl of slosh at once ?

( sorry to question vet advice .. I just have a horror of bloat from dogs slurping food and having really full bellies :o)

Also, instead of soaking food , how about offering her salt free chicken stock drinks , or watered down lactose free milk several times during the day - little & often , rather than gulping a big bowl of slosh at once ?

( sorry to question vet advice .. I just have a horror of bloat from dogs slurping food and having really full bellies :o)

I was worried about bloat too, and did question what she said, but the vet said it's more likely to occur when they drink after eating and the biscuits swell.

I live in quite a cold area (around Orange), so even though she has access to water all the time, I guess she's not very inclined to drink it on a cold day. I know my own water intake declines in winter.

Olivia was a rescue bitch who came to me after a call from Vet. She was going to be euth'd because of recurrent UTIs and her propensity to develop struvites stones due to the alkalinity of her urine.

Before coming to me she had two surgeries within 12 months to remove stones from her bladder. The vet reported to me that the stone removed the second time was as large as a small mandarin. :eek:

Olivia was badly infected and her back end was stained yellow from her urine.

To cut a long story short, after she came to me she continued to develop infections and her urine showed crystals relentlessly. We admitted her once again and we took a sample directly from the bladder while she was under. In my discussion with the vet we spoke about the theory that the infection caused the alkalinity. It's a chicken and egg thing and there are views from both corners - the infections cause the alkalinity vs the alkalinity causes the infection.

We decided to put her on long term antibiotics with the view that the infection never really cleared. We knew exactly what bacteria it was through the direct sample. She went onto prescriptives kibble and voila. It's been almost 5 years and she has not had a crystal or infection since!

Cranberry , AFAIK stops bacteria adhering to the bladder wall .. purchase at chemists or healthfood shop :) Not sure of dosage rates- but I use capsules, and just use a pinch of the powder for the cats - a lab - maybe kid's dose?

I use the capsules and break them open, the pug gets half a capsule a day sprinkled onto her food.